Had A Bad Day

GreenGiant2

just finished washing my 350 cummins for my 1976 brockway resto. i am doin. was bringing it back in to the shop with hi lift when chain broke and fell to ground smashing oil pan and putting small crack in bell housing. wasnt a good day. no one got hurt .

depressed in alexander gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Worse can and will happen. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

Rob

Yup....it could ALWAYS be worse.

l_7a30a5f1391c454c9f200eb2ff935223.jpg

l_8726a49ae60040e79f32f3be70f64d3a.jpg

Pics from the news...

13911886_BG4.jpg

Aaron-n-paint.jpg

Walkin.jpg

Unfortunately in this one, 2 people died, 1 received minor injuries, and the knucklehead who caused the whole thing walked away without a scratch. Road was shut down for 8 hours. Once I realized they had no intention of opening a lane to let us pass anytime soon, I backed up about 3/4 mile and turned around on a gravel road...then went into town and waited it out in the local diner. Had 3 eggs scrambled, hash browns, biscuit & gravy, & bacon...no telling how many refills on the coffee...then when the road opened, I figured I'd been there for 8 hours "off duty". If I left right then, not only would I be fighting through the 100 or so other trucks who were racing to get back on the road but also my 14 hours would be up in only an hour...meaning I'd have to stop for a full 10 hour break. So, I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and decided to wait 2 more hours to get a 10 hour break, then I could roll out to deliver my load and make it home before I'd have to shut down again. Total bill came to $12 + tip. Not too bad, and it was a hell of a lot better sitting inside talking to anybody & everybody (gotta love small town diners). Would have cost me a hell of a lot more than that to detour around the 70 or 100 miles it would have added, not to mention that would have put me over the 14 hours so I'd have to have got a motel for even more money.

Made for a long day, though, because I was getting home just in time to shut my alarm clock off :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Yup....it could ALWAYS be worse.

Unfortunately in this one, 2 people died, 1 received minor injuries, and the knucklehead who caused the whole thing walked away without a scratch. Road was shut down for 8 hours. Once I realized they had no intention of opening a lane to let us pass anytime soon, I backed up about 3/4 mile and turned around on a gravel road...then went into town and waited it out in the local diner. Had 3 eggs scrambled, hash browns, biscuit & gravy, & bacon...no telling how many refills on the coffee...then when the road opened, I figured I'd been there for 8 hours "off duty". If I left right then, not only would I be fighting through the 100 or so other trucks who were racing to get back on the road but also my 14 hours would be up in only an hour...meaning I'd have to stop for a full 10 hour break. So, I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and decided to wait 2 more hours to get a 10 hour break, then I could roll out to deliver my load and make it home before I'd have to shut down again. Total bill came to $12 + tip. Not too bad, and it was a hell of a lot better sitting inside talking to anybody & everybody (gotta love small town diners). Would have cost me a hell of a lot more than that to detour around the 70 or 100 miles it would have added, not to mention that would have put me over the 14 hours so I'd have to have got a motel for even more money.

Made for a long day, though, because I was getting home just in time to shut my alarm clock off :pat:

What happened?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

What happened?

That green car stopped to make a left turn. The loaded coal bucket behind her didn't. I'm guessing she had her wheels cranked over to the left in anticipation of the turn while waiting for the oncoming empty truck to pass, because when the loaded coal bucket slammed into her ass end her car shot off in front of the empty truck. When the empty truck going the other way hit the passenger side of the green car, it spun the car back around to nose it under the loaded coal bucket's trailer. The car was ripped in half and passengers ejected. The empty truck was sent barreling through the guard rail, where it jack-knifed in the ditch and caught fire. The loaded truck crossed the oncoming traffic lane, punched through the guard rail, and nosed down into the ditch.

DOT cop wanted the tow truck to keep the loaded truck intact, pull it out of the ditch, and tow it to a scale to weigh it. That was where he wanted to START his post-wreck inspection. :blink:

Loaded truck's driver walked away w/o a scratch...cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid a crash as well as for not having his medical card on him. He's 34, and probably doesn't have much of a career in trucking anymore after this. Not sure whether there will be additional charges to come or not, but that's where it is right now. The medical card cite he might be able to get out of if he can produce a card or long-form that was valid on the day of the crash...sort of like getting a ticket for not having your drivers license when you forgot your wallet at home...or not having proof of insurance when the card you have in the glove box expired last week and the new one is still on the refrigerator.

Oncoming truck's driver escaped with bumps & bruises...went to the hospital to get checked out. He's 50 years old. The waitress who served me breakfast had heard something about a wreck that morning and had called his dad just curious if they knew anything, just leaving a message when nobody picked up. She said she was in shock when the boy called her back to say he was one of the trucks involved.

Driver & passenger in the car both died shortly after impact. One was 43, other was 42. Ironic thing is the passenger's husband was on his motorcycle last August when he tangled with a tanker truck and lost. They have a daughter that goes to high school with the waitress that brought me my supper. What a school year for her...dad died in a tragic wreck at the beginning of the fall semester....then her mom died in a tragic wreck not even a mile away from her dad's wreck to start out the spring semester. I find myself feeling kinda bad for her.

If nothing else, it really drives home how fast bad things can happen....don't take but a fraction of a second of inattention and your whole world can get turned upside down.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Gah...that's horrible.

First time I rode with my g/f and she stopped on a 2-lane road to turn left with the wheels cranked I freaked out...and I cringe every time I see someone else doing it.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Gah...that's horrible.

First time I rode with my g/f and she stopped on a 2-lane road to turn left with the wheels cranked I freaked out...and I cringe every time I see someone else doing it.

Definitely not a good habit to be in. Don't take much to send you where them wheels are pointing.

Tragic in every way. Wonder why that truck did not have time to stop. Tailgating? car did not have brake lights? Speeding?

Couldn't tell ya. Don't know anyone who spoke with him, and if he's smart, he kept his statements to a bare minimum. Yeah, it's tragic and all and people want answers, but when you cause something like this, you gotta do ALL your talking through a lawyer to make sure you don't say something stupid that will get you some jail time.

Whether or not he was speeding will come out when they reconstruct the wreck with skid marks, distances, impact damage, etc.

Can't see tailgating as the issue, because the car was stopped...he wasn't. If he'd been tailgating, he probably would have made contact before the car stopped...before they turned the wheel to the left...and the impact wouldn't have crushed the entire trunk up to the back seat.

No brake lights is always a possibility...and with the rear end damage, there's really no way to know if the lights were working or not other than the driver who crashed into them.

My money would be on the driver having a momentary lapse in attention. Sure doesn't take long for things to take a turn for the worse...

Tragic in every way. Wonder why that truck did not have time to stop. Tailgating? car did not have brake lights? Speeding?

Probably all of the above. But I bet if cars were held to the same equipment standards we are, there'd be a few less accidents.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Definitely not a good habit to be in. Don't take much to send you where them wheels are pointing.

I remember that question being on a drivers license test-probably the first one I ever took. Which way should your wheels be turned while waiting to make a left turn,left,right,or straight ahead? I actually picked "to the left" and got it wrong and i've never forgotten it.The right answer is straight ahead of course,just for this reason.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I remember that question being on a drivers license test-probably the first one I ever took. Which way should your wheels be turned while waiting to make a left turn,left,right,or straight ahead? I actually picked "to the left" and got it wrong and i've never forgotten it.The right answer is straight ahead of course,just for this reason.

That is very tragic, I just showed it to my wife and daughter and reminded them once again bout keeping wheels straight. randyp