Cummins/mack

What I really wish is for someone to buy Mack from Volvo, ditch the MP engine and use Cummins engines only, with Mack or vendor trans and cariers. We would be a one step ahead of Kenworth and Pete by having our own transmissions and axles. But it will never happen. For now I prefer just one engine because of trainning and parts.

All of the US truck manufacturers except Daimler and Mack offer Cummins Diesel engines. Why not Mack? Get your head out of your backside volvo. :thumb:

James there aint a whole bunch wrong with the MP engine.AGAIN as with the cummins and the rest Its the bolt on crap that is causing the most grief with all the engines for the most part.

The Mp 10 produces ample power easily compared to an ISX! The guys around here that are running them and the isx side by side and and say the cummins gets left behind on the hills!

Why would you want to by a Cummins ! Its Takin me three years to say this I am a Doubting Tom type guy ,But do beleive these to be Decent power plant for a Mack truck we just need to get the rest of the truck back up to snuff

James there aint a whole bunch wrong with the MP engine.AGAIN as with the cummins and the rest Its the bolt on crap that is causing the most grief with all the engines for the most part.

The Mp 10 produces ample power easily compared to an ISX! The guys around here that are running them and the isx side by side and and say the cummins gets left behind on the hills!

Why would you want to by a Cummins ! Its Takin me three years to say this I am a Doubting Tom type guy ,But do beleive these to be Decent power plant for a Mack truck we just need to get the rest of the truck back up to snuff

Besides, most (or at least quite a bit) of the bolt on crap is made by Cummins. I only see that volvo chooses to use it in a less than desirable manner.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Besides, most (or at least quite a bit) of the bolt on crap is made by Cummins. I only see that volvo chooses to use it in a less than desirable manner.

DITO

Yup they send the shit to mack and keep the good stuff for them selves! Oh did I say that ? OOPS :)

Tis a Cummins plot.Take out the competion make em eat shit!

I may be wrong, but I think the Australian chassis may still have the Cummins engine as an option. I don't know the production numbers but it seems like the Cummins engines weren't used very widely when they were available in the CV.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

These changes in available engines and cats withdrawel, have to do with the EPA and the way trucks have to be tested.

I'll try to explain. Before an engine mfg could test and certify and engine and it would be approved . It didn't matter what truck it was put in.

Now the teating and approval has to be for each truck. Each engine has to be checked in each truck. Way too much hassel for a engine mfg to test in 5 brands and 10 models. They would have to make 50 cert tests and approvels.

You now see each truck brand going to thier own engines or a house brand.

I don't know if I explained this clear enough, but you can get the general idea.

Washington GOOBERS messing everything up again!!!!!!!!!

These changes in available engines and cats withdrawel, have to do with the EPA and the way trucks have to be tested.

I'll try to explain. Before an engine mfg could test and certify and engine and it would be approved . It didn't matter what truck it was put in.

Now the teating and approval has to be for each truck. Each engine has to be checked in each truck. Way too much hassel for a engine mfg to test in 5 brands and 10 models. They would have to make 50 cert tests and approvels.

I don't know if I explained this clear enough, but you can get the general idea.

'Nuf said right there

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I sure wish someone in Washington would tell New Jersey!!! You buy a new class 8 truck in NJ you still gota get smoke tested !!! an every year ta boot!!

I also think the mp is a great motor. I talk to guys with the new cummins and detroit and you hear horror stories about them. Stories of alot worse things than we've ever had with our MP. If the EPA would let the engine manufactures alone for more than a year or two before they want more emissions bolted on, than maybe the manufactures could get stuff worked out. I even know of some guys turning to Fitzgerald in Tn. that specialize in buying brand new freightliners from the factory. You can custom order the truck how you want, either a columbia or coronado with everything less the motor and trans. Then they do a complete rebuild on a 12.7 series 60 detroit and a reman trans from eaton fuller. So now you have a brand new truck with 98 emissions with a 3 year 300,000 mile nationwide warranty.

Guest 45LMSWM

I work for Caterpillar through a dealership, and ever since they announced they were pulling out of the truck engine market, I have heard so many theories. I relaize a lot has to do with the EPA and being "regulated" out of business. But one must ask...why would Cat exit the truck engine market for EPA reasons, when the machinery side is only a few years behind on a regulatory basis. All of Cat's former truck engine line is still in use in machinery, and I am sure it will continue for years to come.

One theory you really must consider and that is plainly obvious, is why would a truck engine manufacturer, such as Caterpillar or Cummins, wish to sell their newly designed, state-of-the-art, engines, along with all the support that goes along with it, to a truck manufacturer who also produces their own engines?

Vice-Versa, in Mack's defense, why would they want to put anything but a Mack engine in one of their own trucks?

In this day and age when each chassis manufacturer owns an engine producer or manufacturers its own engines, why would you sell your technology to your competetion?

This is exactly what Daimler/Freightliner did with Detroit Diesel, only the words "exiting the industry" were never used. Its just semantics. Cat has done what everyone else did but Cummins. Either join forces with a chassis manufacturer or build both your own trucks and your own engines.

Look at what Komatsu achieved through reverse engineering. Now if you sell the engines to your competion, you have to provide them with the support as well. You might as well just give it all away.

Just my two cents.

-John

What I really wish is for someone to buy Mack from Volvo, ditch the MP engine and use Cummins engines only, with Mack or vendor trans and cariers. We would be a one step ahead of Kenworth and Pete by having our own transmissions and axles. But it will never happen. For now I prefer just one engine because of trainning and parts.

Who is gonna buy MACK???? PACCAR so they make MACK another "generic" truck????? Why ditch the MP ENGINE SERIES??? Are they that BAD???? Every engine manufacturer has had their share of troubles thanks to E.P.A but as far as time goes I have been receiving positives replies about a bunch of friends who have MP Powered MACK GRANITES.

Why would MACK need CUMMINS engines for???? Forget what KENWORTH and PETERBILT do because it is easy to haul 80,000 lbs or less ON ROAD in lesser trucks built with lesser components such as EATON, MERITOR and ROCKWELL.

We got the MP SERIES engines and that is it. Lets be supportive to the MACK brand and make the MP SERIES engines stand out against the competition. All the "bitchin" because the engine is "made by VOLVO" isn't gonna get MACK to were it deserves to be- THE BEST TRUCK BUILT IN AMERICA-

MACK is still ahead of KENWORTH and PETERBILT by having its own TRANMISSIONS, AXLES, CARRIERS and yeah that MP SERIES ENGINE that you hate that much.

But if you still want a CUMMINS in a MACK there is great news for you:

The MACK® TerraPro™ Cabover model is now available with heavy-duty natural gas engines supplied by Cummins Westport. The 9-liter Cummins Westport ISL G is rated at 320 hp, can use compressed (CNG) or liquefied natural gas (LNG), and has a three-way catalyst to meet EPA 2010 emissions standards.

Talked to a guy today that his company bought like 6 petes and 1 kw within the last year and half. The one pete has needed a new turbo, warranty covered it, they brought the truck home, the new turbo now has the same issue the first one did. Now warranty doesn't want to stand behind it. Like I said before, we've had some issues with our mp-8, but just simple issues, and yes we've had some warranty problems (that got resolved), but come on, you buy 7 cummins powered trucks within a year and half at well over 100,000 dollars a piece and warranty can't stand behind them? I think Cummins is the last thing Mack needs. I have a 2008 cummins powered Ram with exhaust brake from the factory and love it, but I think the MP is all Mack needs.

Let's not forget that most of the engineers, designers, and factory workers at Hagerstown are the same one's that brought us the E7, E9, E-Tech, and ASET engines. Everything for EPA o4 o7 and 10 was handled in Hagerstown. At the end of the day exactly how "Volvo" is the current MP engines?

Cummins natural gas engines are available on trash trucks and I heard this year Mack is introducing a new model option that will be Cummins powered only. I bet we will hear about it publicly in the next few months. The MP engines arent perfect for 100% of everything so Cummins seems to fill in the gaps were its needed.

CAT isn't out of the market. Their C15 "big bore" block is the heart of the International MaXXForce 15. That and their foray into the truck market with the help of International. Their CAT trucks are powered by CAT engines.

CAT saw themselves as the odd man out with Cummins teaming up with PACCAR and DD bought out by Daimler. Plus their Acert emissions didn't help them much other than give them a black eye. But CAT is a huge global company and could sell truck anywhere on the planet through their dealerships. So CAT is just taking a different approach in the new world of strict emissions.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Let's not forget that most of the engineers, designers, and factory workers at Hagerstown are the same one's that brought us the E7, E9, E-Tech, and ASET engines. Everything for EPA o4 o7 and 10 was handled in Hagerstown. At the end of the day exactly how "Volvo" is the current MP engines?

Cummins natural gas engines are available on trash trucks and I heard this year Mack is introducing a new model option that will be Cummins powered only. I bet we will hear about it publicly in the next few months. The MP engines arent perfect for 100% of everything so Cummins seems to fill in the gaps were its needed.

At the end of the day the MP ENGINE SERIES (MP for MACK POWER)was engineered, designed, tested and built by the MACK workers and crew at MACK'S HAGERSTOWN facility. VOLVO GROUP might put the CAPITAL,FINANCIAL AND ECONOMICAL RESOURCES for all this to be done. So they can have a MACK QUALITY engine for their VOLVO TRUCKS brand. Designated "D Engine Series" (D for DUPLICATE) to go on VOLVO TRUCKS. So that is why I think the MACK MP SERIES are MACK BUILT and not VOLVO BUILT, VOLVO might put the $$$$$$ but the people at MACK'S HAGERSTOWN factory make it.

VOLVO just did what GM did with the SAAB 4 cylinder engine they reclaimed as their ECO-TEC engines.

MACK needs no CUMMINS.

And as for they "brand new" CAT TRUCKS they are just crapy INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS rebadged and the same goes to the engines, no CATERPILLAR engines just MAXXFORCE ENGINES painted CAT YELLOW. MAXXIPILLAR

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 45LMSWM

the new cat trucks are just international trucks with a different hood and grill. the engines are not cat engines, they are international engines painted yellow. i think a cat auto trans will get used. dont buy into the hype these trucks will flop

The new engine uses the tried and true C15 block. No an International Engine painted yellow.

-John