Scrappin'

other dog

Saw some interesting items at the ol' steel mill yesterday waiting to be shredded-some Overnite,Swift,and M.S.Carriers trailers,and even a couple of Greyhound busses.

People used to use old vans for chip trailers,but they're too big now. Now you have to get a "real" chip trailer.

Most of the old chip trailers H.H.Moore had had Roadway,Halls,Jones,or Overnite on them. All you had to do was cut some vent holes in them,and after the doors got torn off pulling off the dump,put a tailgate on it.They were 40' vans,most were 13' or 13-6 high,but a lot were 12-6.That's the ones I looked for when they all paid the same flat rate,when we started getting paid on percentage i'd look for the biggest ones.You could still be over gross with a load of chips on a 40' 12-6 high van. A 53 footer would collapse like a...like a...like a 53' van with a load of chips,I guess.

I remember the time someone made a chip trailer out out of a 48/102 trailer and the dump at Covington wouldn't even lift it.He came in grossing over 100,000 lbs,don't remember exactly how much. They finally got it dumped on the one dump they had at the time that dumped the whole truck,without having to drop the trailer that is,but he had to drop it before that dump would lift it.

Westvaco told him to never bring that trailer in there again.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Seems from the other posts that the Swift drivers get a good start on scrapping trailers. I wonder how many zillion miles are on the buses!

no telling! looked like some of those old trailers would be worth more for storage trailers or something instead of just scrapping them,but I guess not.

no telling! looked like some of those old trailers would be worth more for storage trailers or something instead of just scrapping them,but I guess not.

It might be a liability issue. Seems like I heard about UPS being sued by someone because a truck that they (UPS) had scrapped was sold and put back on the road only to have an accident. Since the truck still had the UPS paint and decals or wassinsome way identifiable as being a UPS truck they were sued. Don't know if that is true or not, kind of a second hand account of a second hand account.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It might be a liability issue. Seems like I heard about UPS being sued by someone because a truck that they (UPS) had scrapped was sold and put back on the road only to have an accident. Since the truck still had the UPS paint and decals or wassinsome way identifiable as being a UPS truck they were sued. Don't know if that is true or not, kind of a second hand account of a second hand account.

I used to drive for UPS while I was going to school (there were still a couple of old Diamond T's as yard dogs)and we had a package car one time that was wrecked on the interstate. I had to go help move the packages to another truck and then I helped tow it back to the yard. A few months later after all the muckty-mucks came and looked it over, we robbed the engine, wheels & tires, and a bunch of misc parts from it. We ground off all the numbers on the body and frame, and we burned off all the decals with a torch. Then we hauled it to a local scrap yard and we had to stand there in the rain and take photos of it as it was sheared into pieces, smashed into a bale, and then loaded on a trailer to take to the smelter.

The funny thing was, for the next few weeks, anytime anyone in the whole midwest region had a customer call and complain about a missing package, they just told them it had been in the wreck and was lost/burned up/destroyed/stolen or whatever. One of the clerks added up later the number of packages that were supposed to have been on that load and that little package car was carrying the same load as a 53 foot trailer!

could be-I noticed that the Overnite trailers all had the name painted over.

I used to drive for UPS while I was going to school (there were still a couple of old Diamond T's as yard dogs)and we had a package car one time that was wrecked on the interstate. I had to go help move the packages to another truck and then I helped tow it back to the yard. A few months later after all the muckty-mucks came and looked it over, we robbed the engine, wheels & tires, and a bunch of misc parts from it. We ground off all the numbers on the body and frame, and we burned off all the decals with a torch. Then we hauled it to a local scrap yard and we had to stand there in the rain and take photos of it as it was sheared into pieces, smashed into a bale, and then loaded on a trailer to take to the smelter.

The funny thing was, for the next few weeks, anytime anyone in the whole midwest region had a customer call and complain about a missing package, they just told them it had been in the wreck and was lost/burned up/destroyed/stolen or whatever. One of the clerks added up later the number of packages that were supposed to have been on that load and that little package car was carrying the same load as a 53 foot trailer!

I remember when UPS was still running some Diamond-T cabovers over the road. They used to always take the nameplates and any identifying brand insignias off their trucks for some reason, you could still look at it and knew what it was. I don't know if they still do that or not, haven't noticed lately.

Hard to tell exactly since they've already been shredded, but it looked like there was 14 of them in there to me, along with 4 IH's,2 KWs,a White,and 27 Volvos.

Don't know if you noticed but the shredder was powered by a modified Mack ENDT866 V8 engine with adapted air to air charge air cooling. They run that thing without problems 24/7 making small chunks out of Peterbilt mishaps.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Don't know if you noticed but the shredder was powered by a modified Mack ENDT866 V8 engine with adapted air to air charge air cooling. They run that thing without problems 24/7 making small chunks out of Peterbilt mishaps.

Rob

I did not notice that,but thank you for that bit of information.

I did not notice that,but thank you for that bit of information.

You are quite welcome. Don't want you to not be informed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I remember when UPS was still running some Diamond-T cabovers over the road. They used to always take the nameplates and any identifying brand insignias off their trucks for some reason, you could still look at it and knew what it was. I don't know if they still do that or not, haven't noticed lately.

They used to do the same thing with their Macks but I've seen some going down the road with the Bulldog intact.

Rob

There's a ski resort that has an 6 cylinder Mack engine running their ski lift

They used to do the same thing with their Macks but I've seen some going down the road with the Bulldog intact.

UPS does that with all of their vehicles and equipment They don't want to endorse any maker(even though you know who they are. The Snap On and Matco names are removed from your tool boxes even.

As for the Mack Dog...Mack told them the couldn't remove it. That it was there to open the hood....., a handle! :thumb: Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The Diamond T yard dog had some sort of crazy air operated throttle. It had been several years since it had been out on the road and the air system had more leaks than a pasta strainer. The amount you pushed down on the foot feed to go a certain speed depended on how much air pressure was in the tank at any given second and it would vary a lot. Lots of fun backing 48 foot trailers into a hole with less than a foot on each side.

These new Macks with the bulldog intact on the hood I see on the highway are a dream compared to the junk we drove around back then. 250 horsepower was a "big engine" and everything had the chrome removed and painted *%$# brown.

UPS does that with all of their vehicles and equipment They don't want to endorse any maker(even though you know who they are. The Snap On and Matco names are removed from your tool boxes even.

As for the Mack Dog...Mack told them the couldn't remove it. That it was there to open the hood....., a handle! :thumb: Paul

Now that's the way to handle PR! Didn't even cost 'em anything extra to do it.

I always heard UPS was a real good outfit to work for,only problem i ever had with them was something i saw many years ago,i came across a bad accident involving a UPS truck (back when they were using F-models) the truck had hit a bridge abutment trying to avoid a car that had swerved in front of him,the car came to rest in a ditch,no one was seriously injured,but the truckdriver was killed instantly,i was one of the first to get there,not much i could do.....after the EMS,police,etc. showed up a few minutes later the UPS "safety man" showed up,his main concern was painting that shit brown paint over all the UPS decals,so UPS would not be "embarassed" or shown in a bad light by the media......which i thought was a pretty chickenshit attitude under the circumstances, i have'nt looked at UPS the same way since then,and that had to be 20+ years ago..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.