Backhoe Story

randyp

My brother-in-law is a large landowner, well, land is large, he isnt, lotsa cows, timber, mucho deer hunting. I asked him other day if he wanted to go to equipment auction with me, he asked what I was buying and I told him I been hankering for a rubber tire backhoe to keep in gravel pit. He got a funny look on his face and said get in truck and go with me a minute. I did, we went to his farm, drove long ways down a hi-line right of way, got out, went to walking through woods, lo and behold, there was a john deere 310D backoe covered up with briars, vines, and saplings growing up between axles, I mean, covered up! I asked whose it was and he said, "Well, this is embarrassing, but I bought it at an auction 5 years ago just cause I wanted one to mess around farm with and do a little clearing. I had it hauled out here, ran it a little in pasture, it died. I cranked it, run a lil, and die. I had it hauled to tractor shop, worked on, brought back, it died again, long story short, 3 more trips to tractor place and $1800.00 later, it died right where it is now, I had started clearing a lil lane through these woods and when it died that time, I turned key off, dismounted it, and left it right where it is now, that was 5 years ago." He said he never said anything to me bout it, cause it was embarrassing,,heh heh, anyway hes not mechanically inclined any at all, none whatsoever. He said if I could get it out of woods and fix it, I could use it all I wanted, just like it was mine, just let him play with it every now and then, if it wasnt fixable, he would pay me to get a lane to it, drag it out, and salvage it for scrap. I went back next day, walked in with few tools and couple of pry bars, wanted to see if engine would turn by hand fore I went to much trouble, it did, took dozer back, cleared lane to it, spent half day with chain saw freeing it up. LOng story short, put a battery on it, starter, fuel filter, air filter, it cranked, backed dump truck in lane, aired all tires back up and drove it out of woods. The next day I flushed fuel tank and put fresh fuel in, took it to gravel pit and loaded 6 loads of gravel with it, no problems at all,,heh heh,,there was a lot of water and gunk in tank, I think that was reason for original trouble. i know there will be some lines needing changing later and other lil things, but so far, after 5 years, its ready. Hope I didnt bore yall, just thought that was good success story, oh yeah, it cranked on original 5 year old fuel to drive it out woods,,,,randy I could kick my ass for not taking a before pic in woods, didnt think bout it, just pics after I got it out and loaded on "killer B" for trip to pitpost-4330-064362100 1289434163_thumb.jpgpost-4330-020103600 1289434258_thumb.jpg

My brother-in-law is a large landowner, well, land is large, he isnt, lotsa cows, timber, mucho deer hunting. I asked him other day if he wanted to go to equipment auction with me, he asked what I was buying and I told him I been hankering for a rubber tire backhoe to keep in gravel pit. He got a funny look on his face and said get in truck and go with me a minute. I did, we went to his farm, drove long ways down a hi-line right of way, got out, went to walking through woods, lo and behold, there was a john deere 310D backoe covered up with briars, vines, and saplings growing up between axles, I mean, covered up! I asked whose it was and he said, "Well, this is embarrassing, but I bought it at an auction 5 years ago just cause I wanted one to mess around farm with and do a little clearing. I had it hauled out here, ran it a little in pasture, it died. I cranked it, run a lil, and die. I had it hauled to tractor shop, worked on, brought back, it died again, long story short, 3 more trips to tractor place and $1800.00 later, it died right where it is now, I had started clearing a lil lane through these woods and when it died that time, I turned key off, dismounted it, and left it right where it is now, that was 5 years ago." He said he never said anything to me bout it, cause it was embarrassing,,heh heh, anyway hes not mechanically inclined any at all, none whatsoever. He said if I could get it out of woods and fix it, I could use it all I wanted, just like it was mine, just let him play with it every now and then, if it wasnt fixable, he would pay me to get a lane to it, drag it out, and salvage it for scrap. I went back next day, walked in with few tools and couple of pry bars, wanted to see if engine would turn by hand fore I went to much trouble, it did, took dozer back, cleared lane to it, spent half day with chain saw freeing it up. LOng story short, put a battery on it, starter, fuel filter, air filter, it cranked, backed dump truck in lane, aired all tires back up and drove it out of woods. The next day I flushed fuel tank and put fresh fuel in, took it to gravel pit and loaded 6 loads of gravel with it, no problems at all,,heh heh,,there was a lot of water and gunk in tank, I think that was reason for original trouble. i know there will be some lines needing changing later and other lil things, but so far, after 5 years, its ready. Hope I didnt bore yall, just thought that was good success story, oh yeah, it cranked on original 5 year old fuel to drive it out woods,,,,randy I could kick my ass for not taking a before pic in woods, didnt think bout it, just pics after I got it out and loaded on "killer B" for trip to pitpost-4330-064362100 1289434163_thumb.jpgpost-4330-020103600 1289434258_thumb.jpg

oh yeah, its 4 wheel drive turbo,,,weeeeeeeeee!!!!post-4330-016653300 1289434682_thumb.jpg

I got an old 8N Ford that has been sitting since my grandpa died. It was his old tractor, but last time I had time to mess with it, it wouldn't start. I cleaned the carb, drained the tank & put fresh gas in it....still didn't start because it wasn't getting any spark. Replaced damn near every ignition component...battery, points, plugs, coil, wires, distributor cap & rotor, etc....still no spark. :wacko:

One of these days, I'll tear into it again to see where I'm losing the juice... :pat:

It'll come in handy when I tear down the house next door and build my shop...it's got a front end loader and a rear blade. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Compared to an excavator and skid steer, I've always thought a rubber tired backhoe was a handjob. But the price sure was right. You'll have a big grin on your face every time you turn the key.

Thas right, and it wouldnt have been possible without "spot" keeping guard for feral hogs while I mechaniched, hes da meanest, scrappiest, most do-anything, attack anything dog that has ever been,,,,randypost-4330-018325800 1289436107_thumb.jpg

4x4 and extend a hoe! 310 was one of the best units JD made. Great small machines but lose it when they go to bigger size.

Congrats on a real nice find

Looks good on the back of "Killer B"

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Thas right, and it wouldnt have been possible without "spot" keeping guard for feral hogs while I mechaniched, hes da meanest, scrappiest, most do-anything, attack anything dog that has ever been,,,,randypost-4330-018325800 1289436107_thumb.jpg

You're a lucky man Mr. P.

That's one cool ass dog, kinda reminds me of "Nipper" the RCA dog. Take care of him, we don't want any Old Yeller/Where the Red Fern Grows type of stories!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I got an old 8N Ford that has been sitting since my grandpa died. It was his old tractor, but last time I had time to mess with it, it wouldn't start. I cleaned the carb, drained the tank & put fresh gas in it....still didn't start because it wasn't getting any spark. Replaced damn near every ignition component...battery, points, plugs, coil, wires, distributor cap & rotor, etc....still no spark. :wacko:

One of these days, I'll tear into it again to see where I'm losing the juice... :pat:

It'll come in handy when I tear down the house next door and build my shop...it's got a front end loader and a rear blade. :thumb:

did you use a 6 volt or a 12 volt coil?

That's one cool ass dog, kinda reminds me of "Nipper" the RCA dog. Take care of him, we don't want any Old Yeller/Where the Red Fern Grows type of stories!

Thanks Rhasler, Spot has a lil jack russell, buncha something else, mostly badass, speaks english, barks spanish, likes beer and tater chips and can chew the bark off a hickory tree, and no kidding, the whole time I worked on tractor, just kept circling daring something to sneak up,,(absolutely hates hogs),,randy

Thanks Rhasler, Spot has a lil jack russell, buncha something else, mostly badass, speaks english, barks spanish, likes beer and tater chips and can chew the bark off a hickory tree, and no kidding, the whole time I worked on tractor, just kept circling daring something to sneak up,,(absolutely hates hogs),,randy

Looks somewhat like the neighbors dog, that's what I suspected of it's lineage too. Looks kinda like a Jack Russell got tied up with an Italian Greyhound or something. Loyal dogs.

http://dogsinthenews.com/issues/0107/articles/010704a.htm

Bulldogs aren't bad either!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Where the Red Fern Grows?...geez...why'd you have to bring up the saddest movie ever? I've been tryin' to forget it for years. Great movie though,eh?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So how come Buddy only gets the tip of his tail pictured while Spot gets a full face picture?

By the way, here's what Rowdy's dog Dozer does when Rowdy gives him a day off.

Thas right, and it wouldnt have been possible without "spot" and his best friend,the bunny "Mr. Floppy", keeping guard for wild rhinos while I mechaniched, hes da meanest, scrappiest, most do-anything, attack anything dog that has ever been,,,,he kilt a good sized rhino yesterday,it's in the freezer now. I woulda had this lion he kilt in tha' freezer too,but he'd already eaten this much of it when I found it,,,randypost-4330-018325800 1289436107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a neat toy to play with. The price WAS right!! Do agree, once you run a skid steer that rubber tire machine is a monkey/football kinda thing LOL!!! Unless you have alot of room then they arent bad.

I have my buddys Bobcat over my place as I work on the B model. Only problem is it's got electrical issues and you have to jump it and use TWO screwdrivers(one to jump soleniod and one to hold fuel shut off open) to get it running. Runs great(when you get it started LOL), getting too cold to disect it and see what's wrong. I've done just about everything I can do with it, had some help from internet forums.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Looks like a neat toy to play with. The price WAS right!! Do agree, once you run a skid steer that rubber tire machine is a monkey/football kinda thing LOL!!! Unless you have alot of room then they arent bad.

I have my buddys Bobcat over my place as I work on the B model. Only problem is it's got electrical issues and you have to jump it and use TWO screwdrivers(one to jump soleniod and one to hold fuel shut off open) to get it running. Runs great(when you get it started LOL), getting too cold to disect it and see what's wrong. I've done just about everything I can do with it, had some help from internet forums.

Yeah Freight, I have loaded several loads of gravel and dirt with it now, and I guess its okay, specially for price and not having to move excavator. I think excavator really spoiled me though, it loads really fast, specially if I work it out where Im "tail-loading". Still, cant beat price and convenience though,,,,randyp :D