460 Engine

hello to all my doggy brothers and sisters, i've owned my gravel granite since new(2005) this bleddy 460 has been given all the latest and greatest program/software upgrades and i still am suffering with the truck..... well almost stalling with a full legal load on even a 5% grade(incline) off the line. My warranty is over now and i'm wonder if anyone can tell me if there is anyone in the vancouver,bc canada area that knows how to fix this(AND NO!!! THE DEALERS DON'T EVEN KNOW) otherwise i gotta take the trailer off and run it single.????????????????? FELLOW DOGGY

hello to all my doggy brothers and sisters, i've owned my gravel granite since new(2005) this bleddy 460 has been given all the latest and greatest program/software upgrades and i still am suffering with the truck..... well almost stalling with a full legal load on even a 5% grade(incline) off the line. My warranty is over now and i'm wonder if anyone can tell me if there is anyone in the vancouver,bc canada area that knows how to fix this(AND NO!!! THE DEALERS DON'T EVEN KNOW) otherwise i gotta take the trailer off and run it single.????????????????? FELLOW DOGGY

look up Brenner contracting they work in your area over there he might give

ya a few tips on this he has done a few tweaks on his unit it seems to have him happy.

what tranny and rear gears do you have????????????????????

And what is a "full load"? A 12 litre engine like the 460 is going to need some deep deep low gears to start 60+ metric tons on a 5% grade! Suffice to say, a highway spec 9,10,13, or even 18 speed would be marginal in a 60 ton+ construction application.

AI engines need to be speced almost perfect to get good perfromance. We have had bad combos like 8LL fuller trans, 4.17 gears and tall 24.5 tires. Finally had to change the rear gears to 4.64 to get it up and going. Tourque curve on an AI is screwy.

AI engines need to be speced almost perfect to get good perfromance. We have had bad combos like 8LL fuller trans, 4.17 gears and tall 24.5 tires. Finally had to change the rear gears to 4.64 to get it up and going. Tourque curve on an AI is screwy.

A 4.17 rear is a problem on lot of macks with the big over drive trans and even on the older macks. They would be better off if the trans was a .83 o/d instead of a .71 like mine.You stay under 1500 rpm to long in hi gear.

glenn akers

A 4.17 rear is a problem on lot of macks with the big over drive trans and even on the older macks. They would be better off if the trans was a .83 o/d instead of a .71 like mine.You stay under 1500 rpm to long in hi gear.

I almost bought a new '04 with a 460, Mack 18 and 4.17 rears. We tested it for what was to be a week. After the second day, we turned it back to the dealer because it couldn't even get started. It was a quarry type tri-axle with 20 steer, 22 lift and 44 drivers. The dealer finally said they figured out there was a torque limiting setting in the programming that was set too restrictive. Maybe some of the Mack techs know what that might mean.

I almost bought a new '04 with a 460, Mack 18 and 4.17 rears. We tested it for what was to be a week. After the second day, we turned it back to the dealer because it couldn't even get started. It was a quarry type tri-axle with 20 steer, 22 lift and 44 drivers. The dealer finally said they figured out there was a torque limiting setting in the programming that was set too restrictive. Maybe some of the Mack techs know what that might mean.

My '01 has the 460, 2180B, and 4.17's with 11R24.5's. For the most part, I like it. Sometimes I would like taller gears....other times, I could go for shorter ones. It is a fairly decent compromise ratio. My only problem right now is the lack of boost, which means no power. New charge air cooler put in a couple weeks ago (old one was trashed...and had already been repaired once), and it still only pushes 23 psi. Gonna replace the turbo next... :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

My '01 has the 460, 2180B, and 4.17's with 11R24.5's. For the most part, I like it. Sometimes I would like taller gears....other times, I could go for shorter ones. It is a fairly decent compromise ratio. My only problem right now is the lack of boost, which means no power. New charge air cooler put in a couple weeks ago (old one was trashed...and had already been repaired once), and it still only pushes 23 psi. Gonna replace the turbo next... :pat:

4.17 gears were good in older Mack engines and even the new MP engines but the 2004 and up AI ASET in the CV, LE and MR's just didnt like them. RowdyRebel: Last week I was chase'n a low boost problem on a ETECH for almost 2 days. During test drives I could hear what sounded like boost pressure leakin off. Kept pressurizing different parts of the intake system and everything was tight(leakfree). I was fixin to replace the turbo when I climbed on top of the truck and put my hand over the exhaust pipe and could hold back the exhaust pressure with my hand. Pulled the muffler off and found the baffle in the bottom had broke loose and lodged sideways in the middle of the muffler stopping it up. Worth a look.

4.17 gears were good in older Mack engines and even the new MP engines but the 2004 and up AI ASET in the CV, LE and MR's just didnt like them. RowdyRebel: Last week I was chase'n a low boost problem on a ETECH for almost 2 days. During test drives I could hear what sounded like boost pressure leakin off. Kept pressurizing different parts of the intake system and everything was tight(leakfree). I was fixin to replace the turbo when I climbed on top of the truck and put my hand over the exhaust pipe and could hold back the exhaust pressure with my hand. Pulled the muffler off and found the baffle in the bottom had broke loose and lodged sideways in the middle of the muffler stopping it up. Worth a look.

When I hacked the stacks, I looked in the mufflers and didn't think I saw any baffles in there...but I didn't have the bottom elbows removed so I can't be 100% sure. I've got twin stacks, though, so even if one was plugged, I'd think it would just exhaust through the other stack and not affect it much. When I'm driving, both stacks smoke simultaneously....so unless they are BOTH equally plugged.... :idunno:

I'll see what I can do to check it out tomorrow...cheap & easy fixes are my favorite. Beats buying a new turbo, for sure. :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

When I hacked the stacks, I looked in the mufflers and didn't think I saw any baffles in there...but I didn't have the bottom elbows removed so I can't be 100% sure. I've got twin stacks, though, so even if one was plugged, I'd think it would just exhaust through the other stack and not affect it much. When I'm driving, both stacks smoke simultaneously....so unless they are BOTH equally plugged.... :idunno:

I'll see what I can do to check it out tomorrow...cheap & easy fixes are my favorite. Beats buying a new turbo, for sure. :wacko:

Check that air compressor intake tube that runs around behind the motor... Take a flashlight and feel up the hose(or hoes) and I bet there's a hole in it on the passenger side where the bellhousing meets the back of the motor... On mine a middle finger sized hole equaled 10lb boost loss...but the noise was pretty noticable.

Pretty ass-in-9 design.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Check that air compressor intake tube that runs around behind the motor... Take a flashlight and feel up the hose(or hoes) and I bet there's a hole in it on the passenger side where the bellhousing meets the back of the motor... On mine a middle finger sized hole equaled 10lb boost loss...but the noise was pretty noticable.

Pretty ass-in-9 design.

will check that too. :thumb:

Pretty ass-in-9 design.

Do you have a Pyro Gauge?If you have a boost leak the pyro will heat up quick!You should be making AT LEAST 30 to 34 psi! Same with a bad turbo or a Plugged muffler! It will heat up quick you should be trailing black smoke all the time! your pyro is not heating and your not trailing smoke you got a lack of fuel IE: a bad transfer pump pluged fuel filter or Bad line!

Do you have a Pyro Gauge?If you have a boost leak the pyro will heat up quick!You should be making AT LEAST 30 to 34 psi! Same with a bad turbo or a Plugged muffler! It will heat up quick you shoud be trailing black smoke all the time! your pyro is not heating and your not trailing smoke you got a lack of fuel IE: a bad transfer pump pluged fuel filter or Bad line!

It looks cool when I shift gears...or when I add throttle in a hurry...especially around 1100-1400 rpm.....nice black smoke trails.

Pyro is hotter than it was a year or two ago when it was making proper boost, but not getting overly hot....staying pretty consistent around 700-900 even on long pulls when fully loaded....and doesn't really drop any when I'm just cruising on level ground while empty. Seems it used to be a few hundred degrees cooler when I wasn't working it overly hard.

It looks cool when I shift gears...or when I add throttle in a hurry...especially around 1100-1400 rpm.....nice black smoke trails.

Pyro is hotter than it was a year or two ago when it was making proper boost, but not getting overly hot....staying pretty consistent around 700-900 even on long pulls when fully loaded....and doesn't really drop any when I'm just cruising on level ground while empty. Seems it used to be a few hundred degrees cooler when I wasn't working it overly hard.

Sounds pretty normal to me Very odd.You might want to check the fuel preasure if its not getting as hot as it use too!Sounds more like a lack of fuel than an air problem.

Sounds pretty normal to me Very odd.You might want to check the fuel preasure if its not getting as hot as it use too!Sounds more like a lack of fuel than an air problem.

....I said it seems like it is hotter than it used to be.

Today I actually saw 30 psi on the boost gauge while accelerating. :banana: That was the first time in probably 2 months I've seen that...but when I shifted gears, it was back to only putting out 23 psi. :pat: For 1 whole gear, it felt like it had something under the hood. :tease:

....I said it seems like it is hotter than it used to be.

Today I actually saw 30 psi on the boost gauge while accelerating. :banana: That was the first time in probably 2 months I've seen that...but when I shifted gears, it was back to only putting out 23 psi. :pat: For 1 whole gear, it felt like it had something under the hood. :tease:

I wonder If you got a bad throtle pedal Just thinking out loud.