Dodge W350

Greg Rider

I just bought a 1985 Dodge W350 truck :chili::banana: . It is in decent shape for an '85. It has an enclosed utility body on it now. I will be removing the body and installing a flatbed to try and get some better fuel mileage. It has a 1973 440 engine with headers :thumb: , 727 automatic tranny, and Dana 60 axles front and rear. I don't know what transfer case is in it or the axle ratio yet. It is a great running truck. It steers straight on the highway, no strange noises, shifts like it should, and the brakes are strong and don't pull. It needs a good cleaning and eventually a paint job. The wife says that a lot of projects need done at home before the body and paint job :pat: . The best thing is that it is simple to work on. Tons of underhood room even with the big block. Parts are cheap and easy to get and get at! I will post some pics of the beast when I get a chance.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Prolly has a NP208 series transfer case with either 4.10, 4.33, or 4.56 gearing.

Most of the 1972-1978 440 engines were great boat anchors although they ran well in stock trim.

Grab you a set of "906" factory casting heads, or aftermarket Edlebrock, and watch that engine come alive!! Just be careful with your foot cause the crankshafts were a little weak in those years.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Greg,

It's prob. New Process NP 205, if it is it's bullet proof. That transfer case is also gear driven not belt drived an also has a port for a P.T.O. It could also be a NP 203 (belt driven) if it is then it came out of a 2500 or a 1500 Dodge all the 3500 I think came with the NO 205 (in 1973)

BULLHUSK PS that 440 is a good motor (torque monster) I've had a couple myself if you want a little better gas mi.? not much you can do, but if it's got a Carter Thermoquad on it take it off an throw it away. If your lucky you could have a GM Quadrojet carb or a Holley 4V on it if not get a AFB Carter or a new Weber I wouldn't go more then 600 CFM

Good news,, it has 4:56 gears in it, that explains the horrible fuel mileage. Bad news is that it has 16.5 rims with 9.50 tires on right now. I'm thinking what is the largest tire I can run and not have the sidewalls in the rear touch? I am going to look for 16" rims in the spring.10140013591.jpg

1014001359a1.jpg

#1 on A-model registry

I think I'll go with 33x12.50x16.5 tires. I think the height will help the gears some and the tires may not kiss sidewalls in the rear. I like BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's and the are not expensive at Summit racing.

#1 on A-model registry

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Looks like a really nice truck-are you SURE you wanna make it a flatbed?

Nice utility box! How long is it? how far back are the wheel wells centered? (You can probably see the gears turning in my mind...) What kind of locking hubs are on it? If it doesn't have manual hubs now,you should get some;they'll help your mileage too.

The 33" tires will do you some good for mileage,but be sure to check their load rating;if I remember right,of the bigger than stock sizes,and especially the mudders,many don't have much of a load rating,because they're intended for play trucks that never carry more than a cooler fulla beer.

I've always liked Holley carbs,but mine have never given me the best mileage-I just like the driveability of 'em. I'd go for a 600 cfm Edelbrock with manual choke if I was picking a carb for your truck.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

You'll probably be better off if you look for some 85 series tires in 16 inch, something like a 235/85/16 will work with dual wheels with little problem of being too wide and they are almost 32 (31.7 to be exact) tall.

I've been running Goodyear Silent Armor's on my 2500 Ram and love them, great on wet roads and snow and aren't noisy except on concrete. Even with the Cummins turned up I can hardly break the back end loose on a wet road.:thumb: So far have over 50K on them and still have half tread all the way around.

Looks like a really nice truck-are you SURE you wanna make it a flatbed?

Nice utility box! How long is it? how far back are the wheel wells centered? (You can probably see the gears turning in my mind...) What kind of locking hubs are on it? If it doesn't have manual hubs now,you should get some;they'll help your mileage too.

The 33" tires will do you some good for mileage,but be sure to check their load rating;if I remember right,of the bigger than stock sizes,and especially the mudders,many don't have much of a load rating,because they're intended for play trucks that never carry more than a cooler fulla beer.

I've always liked Holley carbs,but mine have never given me the best mileage-I just like the driveability of 'em. I'd go for a 600 cfm Edelbrock with manual choke if I was picking a carb for your truck.

Speed

Speed I am pretty sure it is the standard 60" CA on the body. I don't know the overall length of it but it might be 9'. The hubs are manual and I think they are Selectro brand. They are the big ones that you grip on the outside, even with a gloved hand.

10130018361.jpg

10130018451.jpg

I haven't had any replies on trying to sell the body so it will probably go to scrap. I hate to do it but I don't want to haul that thing around or wait months for the money to come in.

#1 on A-model registry

for 33x12.50-16.5 tires you need at least a 10" wheel. pick up some 16" wheels, they're plentiful, and go with 265/75r16 or 285's.

That's best senario but I have runs 33's on 8" rims without any problems, just makes 'em look fat.

#1 on A-model registry

Speed I am pretty sure it is the standard 60" CA on the body. I don't know the overall length of it but it might be 9'. The hubs are manual and I think they are Selectro brand. They are the big ones that you grip on the outside, even with a gloved hand.

10130018361.jpg

10130018451.jpg

I haven't had any replies on trying to sell the body so it will probably go to scrap. I hate to do it but I don't want to haul that thing around or wait months for the money to come in.

It does have a bit more room than the current location I co-habitat with the dog in the back yard.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Might be worth showing it to some equipment dealers and see if they'd be up for selling it on a consignment.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

That's best senario but I have runs 33's on 8" rims without any problems, just makes 'em look fat.

tires for the 16.5's might be cheaper. I ran the 12.50/38 super swampers on 16.5 wheels and I don't know why but at the time they were slightly cheaper than the same size tire for 15 or 16 inch wheels.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It does have a bit more room than the current location I co-habitat with the dog in the back yard.

Rob

Your current situation is totally self inflicted. I feel sorry for the dog.

#1 on A-model registry

Your current situation is totally self inflicted. I feel sorry for the dog.

Not much of a struggle for me as she prefers to sleep under the stars leaving more room.

Rob

Not much of a struggle for me as she prefers to sleep under the stars leaving more room.

Rob

She was probably struggling for room or fresh air. I would like to know how big the dog house is if it allows room for you?

#1 on A-model registry

She was probably struggling for room or fresh air. I would like to know how big the dog house is if it allows room for you?

I think it is about four feet cube.

Rob