Here's A Question For Ya'll:

Rob

I have this Ambac 8VBB pump on one of my V8's which is an ENDT865B. I took the pump to the shop and spoke with the tech yesterday, (these guys really are good) and he informs me that three of the plungers and barrels need replaced and the other five are delivering the proper fuel amounts per stroke. These things cost about $225.00 per hole to rebuild using new parts, so I'm presented the option of repairing the existing, or rebuilding 100%. I'm really not accustomed to doing much 1/2 assed so really don't know which way to go. Either way the governor is being recalibrated to the ENDT866B settings of my other RL truck that runs like a scalded dog.

Thoughts?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have this Ambac 8VBB pump on one of my V8's which is an ENDT865B. I took the pump to the shop and spoke with the tech yesterday, (these guys really are good) and he informs me that three of the plungers and barrels need replaced and the other five are delivering the proper fuel amounts per stroke. These things cost about $225.00 per hole to rebuild using new parts, so I'm presented the option of repairing the existing, or rebuilding 100%. I'm really not accustomed to doing much 1/2 assed so really don't know which way to go. Either way the governor is being recalibrated to the ENDT866B settings of my other RL truck that runs like a scalded dog.

Thoughts?

Rob

As i'm sure you're aware pump/injector work is highly technical/precise to say the least,me personally, i would'nt go on "the cheap" for this type repair,best left to someone who knows what they're doing. The guy i still use for such work up in new jersey,is a german immigrant,factory trained at the scania/vabis diesel institute,was an apprentice for ten years before they turned him loose on the world! this guys shop/workplace looks like an operating room! and he rebuilds everything using new parts,if something he needs is not available,he makes it himself!.....my opinion is a total rebuild,but its not my money...anyway,thats my two cents1....Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

As i'm sure you're aware pump/injector work is highly technical/precise to say the least,me personally, i would'nt go on "the cheap" for this type repair,best left to someone who knows what they're doing. The guy i still use for such work up in new jersey,is a german immigrant,factory trained at the scania/vabis diesel institute,was an apprentice for ten years before they turned him loose on the world! this guys shop/workplace looks like an operating room! and he rebuilds everything using new parts,if something he needs is not available,he makes it himself!.....my opinion is a total rebuild,but its not my money...anyway,thats my two cents1....Mark

For me, it would depend upon a few factors.

First, what is the difference in down-time? If the truck will be down for the same time whether you fix what's broke or rebuild the whole thing, then spend the money (if you have it) and rebuild the whole thing. However, if parts are on back-order or if it just takes a while to rebuild each hole, and if I couldn't afford to have the truck out-of-service for any longer than necessary (customers are depending upon me and this truck, etc...), then I'd just fix what needs fixing and worry about the others if/when they present themselves to be a problem.

Second, which I've already alluded to, what does your budget allow? If money is tight, fix what's broke and worry about the rest if/when they give you problems. If you have the money, go ahead and rebuild the whole thing.

Third, is this a hobby truck or does it need to be 100% reliable? If it is just a hobby truck, I would fix what needs fixing and leave the rest alone. I can mess with the others if/when they present a problem. However, if I need to run the truck to earn a living, then I'd spend the money (if I had it) to completely rebuild.

Thing is, those "good" holes might last another 20 years...or they could fail tomorrow. Same with the new parts. Only difference is that the new parts and the labor rebuilding 'em will probably have some sort of warranty if they fail tomorrow. All you know is that they are testing OK right now, out of the truck & on the bench....which doesn't necessarily guarantee they work properly while properly installed.

Tough call, for sure...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thoughts?

Rob

Rob, Is any of this hypothetical? randy

This is just another of my hobby trucks so it's not a service availability issue. Cost is really not a prohibitive issue to repair correctly, but no need to expend the funds unless necessary. What started this is that I couldn't get the truck to idle as smoothly as it should, and was down on power a little bit. When accelerating, the pull seemed "sluggish" all through the power band. I pulled all the nozzles which were rebuilt last year, and ran another compression test both dry and wet with excellent, even results. All eight cylinders are well within 5% of each other. I then pulled the pump and installed a brand new one, (not rebuilt) and the truck idles much better, and smoother. I then shipped the pump to my buddy in Wisconsin for evaluation. I haven't driven the truck with the new pump installed. It's raining now with no paint on the cab, (bare steel).

This is the truck that will get the Detroit engine also so I'm at a crossroads. Trouble is that I never know when another truck may come along just itching for a good V8 installation........ This engine really does run well and is a strong puller.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

This is just another of my hobby trucks so it's not a service availability issue. Cost is really not a prohibitive issue to repair correctly, but no need to expend the funds unless necessary. What started this is that I couldn't get the truck to idle as smoothly as it should, and was down on power a little bit. When accelerating, the pull seemed "sluggish" all through the power band. I pulled all the nozzles which were rebuilt last year, and ran another compression test both dry and wet with excellent, even results. All eight cylinders are well within 5% of each other. I then pulled the pump and installed a brand new one, (not rebuilt) and the truck idles much better, and smoother. I then shipped the pump to my buddy in Wisconsin for evaluation. I haven't driven the truck with the new pump installed. It's raining now with no paint on the cab, (bare steel).

This is the truck that will get the Detroit engine also so I'm at a crossroads. Trouble is that I never know when another truck may come along just itching for a good V8 installation........ This engine really does run well and is a strong puller.

Thanks,

Rob if you half ass guess what the outcome is

Yup, and I agree. I'm no expert on fuel injection, and have never ran a pump that was partially rebuilt. Surely wouldn't want to experience trouble down the road so was wondering if anyone else has done this "partial" way before.

Rob

Yup, and I agree. I'm no expert on fuel injection, and have never ran a pump that was partially rebuilt. Surely wouldn't want to experience trouble down the road so was wondering if anyone else has done this "partial" way before.

Rob

Hi, what about just pulling one from another engine for now and put this faulty one aside for when you do need one?

Grant

Hi, what about just pulling one from another engine for now and put this faulty one aside for when you do need one?

Grant

Hi Grant, that is basically what I've done with my new spare pump. In fact this engine will be a spare itself in a couple of months when I start to working inside again due to weather. Citing I know there are problems with this one, and not liking having items around "needing work", I'm having it repaired, just haven't decided to the extent as of yet. I've never been one to put a band aid on something to be let down later but it is difficult to spend money if not needed.

The injection shop assures me there would be nothing wrong with reusing the five original barrels and plungers, but cannot give the same warrenty on the rebuild unless they are replaced. Real "catch 22" here although I'd never drive the 100,000 miles on the engine in hobby usage.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Grant, that is basically what I've done with my new spare pump. In fact this engine will be a spare itself in a couple of months when I start to working inside again due to weather. Citing I know there are problems with this one, and not liking having items around "needing work", I'm having it repaired, just haven't decided to the extent as of yet. I've never been one to put a band aid on something to be let down later but it is difficult to spend money if not needed.

The injection shop assures me there would be nothing wrong with reusing the five original barrels and plungers, but cannot give the same warrenty on the rebuild unless they are replaced. Real "catch 22" here although I'd never drive the 100,000 miles on the engine in hobby usage.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi, well full rebuild, pop it on the shelf, you never no, today there is plenty of parts for a rebuild, tomorrow it may be just like trying to get a sump gasket kit for an 866.

Grant

Hi, well full rebuild, pop it on the shelf, you never no, today there is plenty of parts for a rebuild, tomorrow it may be just like trying to get a sump gasket kit for an 866.

Grant

Yes, parts are getting scarce on these engines. I purchased a couple of complete engine gasket/seal sets because of this.

Rob

Rob,

Dose it really matter if you do a full rebuilt on the pump or patch job.

You will probably forget to put fuel in the truck anyway :P:D:P:D

Just busting your ass,,,,,,later

I'm certain you are correct. That is exactly why I'm repowering all my trucks with dialithium crystals with a five year mission to seek out new worlds and civilizations........

Don't need no stinkin diesel fuel that way.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...