Endtb866 Won't Start

gaylock

This truck has been setting for @18 years{truck was started about once a year or once every other year}, & was started @ 1year ago & driven to new location. The truck will not start now. Fuel was drained, refilled w/ clean fuel, new filters, fuel lines flushed & refilled. Engine will run on starting fluid/ ether, but will not pick up fuel.......any suggestions would be appreciated......Paul

This truck has been setting for @18 years{truck was started about once a year or once every other year}, & was started @ 1year ago & driven to new location. The truck will not start now. Fuel was drained, refilled w/ clean fuel, new filters, fuel lines flushed & refilled. Engine will run on starting fluid/ ether, but will not pick up fuel.......any suggestions would be appreciated......Paul

From your description of the engine you have an ENDT865B if "Dynatard" equipt. No matter with the problem you're experiencing. I assume you do not have a hand primer pump also. This engine is a bitch to get stated after running out of fuel. I get picked on constantly because my own experience ensures it. The brutal SOB's on here always pick on me...........

Actually it is not hard to get started. Ensure your filters are full with fuel. Close the fuel crossover valve on one tank. Have a helper place a blow gun and air line from a shop compressor into the fuel tank with the pickup tube sealing around the blow gun with a shop rag. While cranking the engine pressurize the tank and it should start.

That engine with the "V" pump does not draw well through the length of line it has to. You probably should ensure you have good fuel lines and nothing is busted allowing air to enter. Even with a small leak the engine with the pressurized fuel tank should start. When running look for wet spots on the lines.

I have three V8's and none of them start easy when they've lost their prime, (sorta like me).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

From your description of the engine you have an ENDT865B if "Dynatard" equipt. No matter with the problem you're experiencing. I assume you do not have a hand primer pump also. This engine is a bitch to get stated after running out of fuel. I get picked on constantly because my own experience ensures it. The brutal SOB's on here always pick on me...........

Actually it is not hard to get started. Ensure your filters are full with fuel. Close the fuel crossover valve on one tank. Have a helper place a blow gun and air line from a shop compressor into the fuel tank with the pickup tube sealing around the blow gun with a shop rag. While cranking the engine pressurize the tank and it should start.

That engine with the "V" pump does not draw well through the length of line it has to. You probably should ensure you have good fuel lines and nothing is busted allowing air to enter. Even with a small leak the engine with the pressurized fuel tank should start. When running look for wet spots on the lines.

I have three V8's and none of them start easy when they've lost their prime, (sorta like me).

Rob

The brutal Single Oversized Boobies.......thats right Rob.....always thinking positive.

mike

Rob

My E9 had a v pump on it and was hell to start when the fuel drained down. The blow gun and rag work as good as anything and will sure save a starter.

Rob

Hey Rob, this is not a 865. The truck is a 1979 R-Model w/a 866 V8 engine. I will try the tank pressurization & see if it starts, I will let you guys know.......Paul

Hey Rob, this is not a 865. The truck is a 1979 R-Model w/a 866 V8 engine. I will try the tank pressurization & see if it starts, I will let you guys know.......Paul

Hi Paul, the 866 engines were 375hp and backed with a nine, or ten speed transmission, (if Mack) or more gears if a vendored transmission. They were Thermodyne series in response curves.

The 865 engines were rated at 322hp, and 325hp, depending on year and calibration settings for fuel. These usually had either a five, or six speed transmission behind them. These were Maxidyne series in response curves.

If you look on the cylinder block just ahead of the starter motor at the oil pan rail, the engine designation will be stamped into a flat pad. This is not saying the engine isn't rebuilt into something else, just what it was built as new.

You'll get it going I'm sure!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Paul, you've got the BEST guy on here for getting a truck started that has run outta fuel. Rob is the KING!!! :blink:

He'll keep trying til he gets it right :thumb:

The brutal SOB's on here always pick on me...........

Who us?? Naw.......not us.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Paul, you've got the BEST guy on here for getting a truck started that has run outta fuel. Rob is the KING!!! blink.gif

He'll keep trying til he gets it right thumb.gif

Who us?? Naw.......not us.

Yup. You's guys have sent me home to "lick my wounds" so many times I've lost count!!

Here is what I've come up with so I can do the job all by myself. Regulate the pressure down to about 50 psi at the gauge, and have never had problems. The engines usually start right up if they have a fuel supply. After the truck is running, I then install the regular fuel cap.

Rob

post-78-127482164359_thumb.jpg

Yup. You's guys have sent me home to "lick my wounds" so many times I've lost count!!

Here is what I've come up with so I can do the job all by myself. Regulate the pressure down to about 50 psi at the gauge, and have never had problems. The engines usually start right up if they have a fuel supply. After the truck is running, I then install the regular fuel cap.

Rob

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Ya see, that cap don't go on unless fuel proceeds it. Good way to remember to. I've actually made three of those caps for the different styles on the V8 trucks; You know, "Just in case".

Rob

Well Rob it started right up & purrs like a kitten, wait, I mean growls like a dog should LOL. The air worked great, when I learn how to post pics, I will show you guys my new to me truck..........

P.S. Thanks for the help, this site is great..........Paul

Well Rob it started right up & purrs like a kitten, wait, I mean growls like a dog should LOL. The air worked great, when I learn how to post pics, I will show you guys my new to me truck..........

P.S. Thanks for the help, this site is great..........Paul

Glad to hear it went well. I spoke with far too much experience in such matters there...........

Carefull talking of "purrs like a kitten" cause it may just come bite you in the ass!!

Rob