Engine Stopped Running

Alrighty, so today I was driving our MB 410 around, and was coming up our driveway, and it decided to quit on me. At first, I thought it was low on gas because of going uphill, so I put about 5 gallons into the tank, and tried again. This didnt change anything, so I put 5 more gallons in, still won't start. I coasted it off the driveway, but now it's setting uphill and leaning towards the passenger's side. Also attempted to clean the points, but because of the hill, the cab wouldn't stay tilted, so I'm not sure how good of a job of cleaning I did. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Alrighty, so today I was driving our MB 410 around, and was coming up our driveway, and it decided to quit on me. At first, I thought it was low on gas because of going uphill, so I put about 5 gallons into the tank, and tried again. This didnt change anything, so I put 5 more gallons in, still won't start. I coasted it off the driveway, but now it's setting uphill and leaning towards the passenger's side. Also attempted to clean the points, but because of the hill, the cab wouldn't stay tilted, so I'm not sure how good of a job of cleaning I did. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

aww my goodness,,we got so many things to check,,check for fire (elecrical kind in plug wires),,gas(carb float stuck), trash in tank, etc,,many, many things to rule out here,,gotta start somewhere though so I would check for fire first and just go from there, wish I could be more helpful,,keep us posted,,,Randy

Better first check to see if ROB is in your neighborhood. He has a way of doing the same thing to his truck in the driveway. I've been waiting to hear about a YAMI HAW found on the roadside dead with a rider flagging down a truck with OtherDog going to the rescue.......waiting....... :lol:

mike

Lots of places to start:

Fuel in carb? No? Fuel pump or fuel lines?

Did it stumble and quit or just stop sudden? Electrical? 12v to coil? Coil bad? Wiring? Points?

Does it try to start with fuel dumped in carb? Or Ether? Then likely fuel related. If not, then electrical.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

thanks for the input guysbiggrin.gif While I was at work, my dad got home and tinkered around with it a little, and it turns out that the contacts in the distributor cap were corroded, so after a little cleaning, it fired up and ran. So what we figure happened is that we dont keep a lot of gas in it, so going up the hill, the gas got taken away from the line for the fuel pump, which made it quit. Then the corroded points kept it from starting even after there was plenty of fuel in it. Still is a mystery to me how they got corroded enough to keep it from starting in the 10 minutes that I was driving. I guess thats just how some of these old trucks are, though rolleyes.gif Thanks again for the tipsthumb.gif

400, You could put A Chrysler electronic ignition set up on the 413, you could buy a new one from Mother Mopar or Year One or any one of those after market guys. Or if you find a RB block (413 426 440) in a junk yard with elct. tron. just pull the dist. an harness.BULLHUSK PS I think A new set up is 250 to 300 bucks? but comes with new dist.& everything you need incld. instructions

Gotta agree with bullhusk,electronic ignition is the only way to go,relatively simple transplant as well. JFYI, all the MB's i've ever been around were notorious for clogging fuel filters,just something else to keep in mind. A LOT of the big common carriers used MB's for years,i drove one myself and it was a damn good truck!..mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Electronic is the way to go.You'll find easier starting and smoother running with the electronic ignition over points system. Mopar points will fail rapidly if your ballest resister is failing. They will burn the points before they fail. We always carried an extra ballest resistor with Mother Mopars. I would go for one of 2 set ups,Mopar electronic kit or the Perlux electronic points elimator kit. Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE