b61,I believe the 262 was the turbo charged 220 the 335 was the bigger 855 cu. block 230-250 hp. natural just for your info. if the older Cummins started with H or HR that was the two valve head NH were the 4 valve non turbo. I always liked the 335 thought it had good power we had some valve trouble with the early ones but all in all they worked out good there where no aftercooler's on ours (I don't think the 335 had one) one other thing if the motor has 250,000 mi on it i would pull the pan and put new rod & main insert's and a reman oil pump before install.BULLHUSK

b61,I believe the 262 was the turbo charged 220 the 335 was the bigger 855 cu. block 230-250 hp. natural just for your info. if the older Cummins started with H or HR that was the two valve head NH were the 4 valve non turbo. I always liked the 335 thought it had good power we had some valve trouble with the early ones but all in all they worked out good there where no aftercooler's on ours (I don't think the 335 had one) one other thing if the motor has 250,000 mi on it i would pull the pan and put new rod & main insert's and a reman oil pump before install.BULLHUSK

The first 335 was a 743 engine. Not many around any more but it was in the years of the B models. The way to tell is if it has lines on the out side of the head to the injectors like the 220 and 262 then it will be a 5 1/8 bore engine with piston oil coolers. glenn

glenn akers

were 335 cummins engines reliable? What are the differences between a 262 and a 335? Are there any known problems to making a b73 into a b773 by simply installing a 335 as long as it has the cast radiator.

Thanks

I always heard the 335's were a damn good engine,never ran one myself however, My dad spent 50 years in a truck,so if he said so i tend to agree!...mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yes Glenn! You are correct sir, as a matter of fact I think those where the ones that had the valve trouble. they where in the first two K100 K/W's my dad had in the shop (mid to late 60's?)and the inj. lines where on the out side as you stated as well BULLHUSK

The first 335 was a 743 engine. Not many around any more but it was in the years of the B models. The way to tell is if it has lines on the out side of the head to the injectors like the 220 and 262 then it will be a 5 1/8 bore engine with piston oil coolers. glenn

That's right the first 335 was a souped up 743 but most folks either don't know that or have forgot it. I've had the 743 block up to 365hp.

The 335 in the 855 block was a good engine but the crankshaft wouldn't stand up to cowboys.

I've done ALOT of work on 335's!!

A 335 with an after cooler became a 350.

BULLHUSK was right on about the bottom end.

Bearings at 250,000 miles!!!

A pan gasket, a torque wrench and a set of bearings and about 3-4 hours and the job was done.

The old VT-50 turbos were only good for about 125,000 miles then they were due for a rebuild.

Good time to rebuild the Jakes!!

Then at about 450-500,000 miles, a set of pistons and sleeves.

The BIG weak spot was the old water pump.

While you're in the prosess of swapping things around, just as well replace the water pump and belts.

I've got a 335 in my RL700L (with Jakes) and it runs like a top!!

I worked at Mack Truck in SLC, UT but most of my work was on Cummins engines.in Macks.

I like them real well.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

What is the difference between a 262 and a 335 in 743ci form, fuel only or something else?