Me An Momma Are Gettin A Bike:

Rob

This ain't no shit neither. We spent all day today looking at both Harley-Davidson, and Triumph motorcycles. We are currently at odds however. I want a Triumph Rocket III Touring, she wants a Harley-Davidson "Road King". Both bikes are comparable in complements and options although the Road King has more electronic "goodies" such as cruise control. Both are black in color with quite a bit of chrome added. Both are very attractive but when it has to pull in excess of 500 pounds of rider weight, the extra power of the Rocket is welcome, although both will do the job.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This ain't no shit neither. We spent all day today looking at both Harley-Davidson, and Triumph motorcycles. We are currently at odds however. I want a Triumph Rocket III Touring, she wants a Harley-Davidson "Road King". Both bikes are comparable in complements and options although the Road King has more electronic "goodies" such as cruise control. Both are black in color with quite a bit of chrome added. Both are very attractive but when it has to pull in excess of 500 pounds of rider weight, the extra power of the Rocket is welcome, although both will do the job.

Rob

There was a new Triumph parked in front of a store in Rustburg every day last summer,I don't know what model it is, but it's one of the prettiest bikes i've ever seen.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yeah, you're right.

Rob already has one of those one sided eyeglass things like Colonel Klink had.

Monical. Yeah but it is hard to keep it in my drooping left eye. We discussed a sidecar kit and it was ruled out. We kinda have a Burkhalter, Klink relationship; She's always; Rob, Shut Up, and I abide.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here is a link. I'm not real savvy with finding things like this, had to ask the daughter.......

This bike looks very close with the exception of a "Corbin" seat which is much larger for Momma to fit, (I'll deny that last comment).

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2009_RocketIIITouring_10403.aspx

How about something like this...

Although close, I do believe Momma has got a few inches around the midsection on her.

Rob

Rob

Rob, A few things to think about before you buy a bike, INSURANCE! are you a new rider? are you going to put LOTS of miles on to warrent the price? do you have the time to ride to warrent the price? can you ride? can you ride with some one on the back? does momma know how to be a passenger? can you pick the bike up if you drop it? ect...

I currently own a 08 road glide, In my situation, because of who I am, I have to own and ride a HD. Would I own a harley as a touring bike if I was not in the situation that I choose to be in? NO dont think I would there are alot better bikes out there (IMO). DONT get me wrong I love harley davidson I most likely will alway own one. BUT dont rule out buying an older goldwing, ect. hell you might not even like/enjoy riding. So togo out and spend big money right off the hop, could be a mistake, a costly one. After just rereading what I wrote, I could have made a fool out of meself cause maybe you have and can ride?!

check out the polaris victory brand, they are differnt but cool.Im not try to put you off buying a bike, just there is more than just paying for it! hey tell me to "F off" if Im speaking out of turn. If you want to know more about the HD ask and I will answer james

Rob, A few things to think about before you buy a bike, INSURANCE! are you a new rider? are you going to put LOTS of miles on to warrent the price? do you have the time to ride to warrent the price? can you ride? can you ride with some one on the back? does momma know how to be a passenger? can you pick the bike up if you drop it? ect...

I currently own a 08 road glide, In my situation, because of who I am, I have to own and ride a HD. Would I own a harley as a touring bike if I was not in the situation that I choose to be in? NO dont think I would there are alot better bikes out there (IMO). DONT get me wrong I love harley davidson I most likely will alway own one. BUT dont rule out buying an older goldwing, ect. hell you might not even like/enjoy riding. So togo out and spend big money right off the hop, could be a mistake, a costly one. After just rereading what I wrote, I could have made a fool out of meself cause maybe you have and can ride?!

check out the polaris victory brand, they are differnt but cool.Im not try to put you off buying a bike, just there is more than just paying for it! hey tell me to "F off" if Im speaking out of turn. If you want to know more about the HD ask and I will answer james

Hi there and no I don't take any offense to what has been said; truly appreciate the concern. Myself, and Momma are/were experienced riders in years past. Bikes, (although smaller) were a large part of our younger years. Momma's priorities and responsibilities changed significantly after our daughter was born, and we sold her 650 Yamaha while I kept my 900 Kawasaki, (original Z1) through our military years till it was plain worn out with over 55,000 miles; (this bike I miss). I replaced it with a CB900C Honda and almost rode the wheels off of it too. We've not owned a motorcycle since selling the Honda in 1993 when we were building the auto body business, and both working full time jobs, so had little time to ride. Always swore we would get a touring bike after the kids finished college, and the time has arrived.

We've been doing comparison shopping via the internet for the past couple of years. Last May when at a training class in OKC, I was tooling around the motorcycle shops when I walked into Performance Cycle and lo and behold I seen my first Rocket III Touring that was all black and chrome. This thing to me just looked "right". After looking this thing over, sitting on it, letting it rumble between my legs I decided to call Momma from the parking lot. She said "You want it, get it". This was a Saturday about 11:45 am and they closed at 5:00 pm so I wanted to do a little research before the deal was finalized. The bottom dollar selling price was "hammered" out, ($17,000 and change) they would sell it for so I told them I'd get back in touch Monday. A quick internet search revealed the same bike outfitted exactly the same would cost a little over $3000.00 less, and could be picked up within three working days from placing the order. They still wouldn't budge on their pricing so it did not sell.

Also jumping on the internet, looking for dealers in the central Illinois locale I live in, and discovering none within a hundred miles, I thought I'd better stay away from the Triumph, at the time. This is when we started to look at Harley with seriousness. Although I prefer the "Ultra Classic" due to full fairing and bags, Momma likes the "Road King" because of the classic styling. We also looked at the "Road Glide", "Street Glide", and several others I can't remember names to. It always comes back to the "Road King" being the pick based on looks. There are three Harley-Davidson dealers within 50 miles of my doorstep also. Although they heavily promote their service departments and reasons for patronizing them, in reality once a bike leaves, it does not go back unless a warranty issue prevails.

The Triumph does not have as factory options things I've seen like electronic cruise control, detachable trunk, and a few other amenities that are commonplace on several other bikes nowadays. Can't really say I've delved into this deeply however. I think I've looked at nearly every manufacturers products out there in the past couple of years and based solely on visual appeal, I still like the Rocket III Touring. Since I'm now an elderly man, (I'm 50) and need to act more conservatively, (yeah right) I need something that I can keep both wheels consistently on the ground.

She is starting to hammer on me pretty routinely to get settled on something. I'm not really sure if it matters as long as it is SOMETHING with two wheels!!

Thanks,

Rob

She is starting to hammer on me pretty routinely to get settled on something. I'm not really sure if it matters as long as it is SOMETHING with two wheels!!

Thanks,

Rob

Pull the tandems out from under one of your Macks, leaving only the steer axle.

That would (technically) meet her specs of "SOMETHING with two wheels".

. B)

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Pull the tandems out from under one of your Macks, leaving only the steer axle.

That would (technically) meet her specs of "SOMETHING with two wheels".

. cool.gif

I'm sure that would be equated to a loss of revenues from reduction of weight across the scales.......

This would be self defeating.

Rob

Momma's in the shower washing off the overnight sweat and we are headed to Decatur to look at more bikes. This one is a Kawasaki, Triumph, and Yamaha, (Star) dealer I think. Getting close to bringing something home.

Rob

I Have two Harley's myself. But have you looked at the Victory?

We were on the Victory website this morning. Nice looking bikes and highly rated, but I think we are looking for more of a conventional looking motorcycle. Some of the Victory motorcycles, (like the 8 ball) are going to take some time to get used to.

Rob

Rob, good to know you got what I was trying to say. If you go with the HD, DONT get the "big" 110ci stroker motor they will try to sell ya! THEY ARE JUNK! I have seen them with less than 3000 miles leak at base gasket, the cyl. sleeve in the jugs are spiral lock type and due to high heat will move, warp head(high heat) the 96ci are ok they changed the exhaust to under slung to move the heat from the rider. I mean HOT, not heat! leg burning if in traffic. reather then adress the the heat problem, its easier to move the heat problem! some say the trannies whine(turn thre radio up) there were some issues with front tires that have been fixed. JAMES

OLD HARLEYS ARE LIKE OLD 2STROKE DETROITS, WHEN THE OIL LEAK STOPS, ITS TIME TO FILL IT UP AGAIN! NEW HARLEYS ARE LIKE NEW MACKS, WHEN IT BREAKS DOWN, WE'LL JUST BLAME IT ON EPA!

I'm sure that would be equated to a loss of revenues from reduction of weight across the scales.......

This would be self defeating.

Rob

I remember that show Jesse James (Sandra Bullock's future ex-husband) used to have-Monster Garage I think?-anyway, they built a trike with a 350 Cummins engine. Maybe it's still around somewhere, perhaps for sale...just a thought.(Paul Van Scott)

I remember that show Jesse James (Sandra Bullock's future ex-husband) used to have-Monster Garage I think?-anyway, they built a trike with a 350 Cummins engine. Maybe it's still around somewhere, perhaps for sale...just a thought.(Paul Van Scott)

I remember that one.

They used the Cummins, a Fuller 13 speed and the rear end from a Peterbilt.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

This would be self defecating.

Rob

[/quote

Fixed it for ya

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

sandra is more than welcome to come to Florida to seek companionship during this difficult time

damn! too bad I didn't think of that first-I'd be willing to help comfort her in any way possible during these trying times time too. But i'm a day late and a dollar short again. Maybe Elin Woods will need comforting...