2006/2007

im tired of throwing good money after bad. im pretty sure i dont want 2008 or newer, can you guys tell me anything about 06/07.

my repairs would make the payments on two new trucks, or i could buy two more trucks and maybe they could help keep this one running.

My younger brother has a '06 Vision with a 460 he got brand new.It has been pretty much trouble free,although there has been a few recalls that he's had to take it in for.Any other troubles have been minor.I do know that it has delivered every load he's started with and has never been on the hook,something that could not be said for his '04.

My Dad also had a '06 he got new.It too was a good tractor.It had the air ride front axle,which gave him not only a better ride,but he got 40 to 50k more miles out of his steer tires.It had the new style Mack 13 speed and he never liked the way it shifted.He has a '09 with the MP8 now,only trouble with it has been with the exhaust regeneration.

46,000 rears 4:11 gears full lockers its a heavy hauler.

Oh yeah I just now caught the 4:11 rears. Yeah that definitely ain't set up for the highway but it is tied to an 18spd, try having a set of 4:11 tied to a Rockwell 10spd. My dad was pulling containers with a 97 Volvo WIA 36" sleeper with a Rockwell 10spd and I believe a Cummins M11 with a set of 4:11 rears, it came from a trucking fleet and I think it was a short haul truck but man that thing couldn't pull a hill to save it's butt.

Cummins M11

First truck I drove for hire had one of those...that thing couldn't catch a cold. Second truck had an ISM...same displacement I think, but totally different engine...it had 425hp and it ran pretty well for what it was.

Anyway...Bigen...somewhere you have to draw the line at where too much money fixin isn't worth it anymore. To me, it's worth more payment a month for some peace of mind. The payment you can budget around, the seemingly endless repairs you can't. If I was in your shoes I'd maybe bite the bullet.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

im tired of throwing good money after bad. im pretty sure i dont want 2008 or newer, can you guys tell me anything about 06/07.

my repairs would make the payments on two new trucks, or i could buy two more trucks and maybe they could help keep this one running.

Too bad you dont live close to a good Mack mechanic like Theakerstwo, Mackpro68, fjh, i bet they could fix you up. it would almost be worth it to take it to western KY to get it fixed. Ron

Too bad you dont live close to a good Mack mechanic like Theakerstwo, Mackpro68, fjh, i bet they could fix you up. it would almost be worth it to take it to western KY to get it fixed. Ron

mackpro68 is gona send me some bullitens on water pump problems. im in the wrong frame of mind now. if i dont go out i make no money,if i do go out i will spend more on repairs than i will make. catch 22 i guess.

mackpro68 is gona send me some bullitens on water pump problems. im in the wrong frame of mind now. if i dont go out i make no money,if i do go out i will spend more on repairs than i will make. catch 22 i guess.

B61

Unfortunatley 3 Mechcanics didn't design and build this engine . Things would be a whole lot diffrent if they had.

Don't forget this engine has been the back bone of the mack line for the last decade and all the stuff on it is bolton to get by reg's stuff the core engine is still good ole mack stuff.

The coolant system however evolved, got changed to put up with the egr heat its been a dogs breakfast of problems since.They how ever have worked thru MOST of the problems!

if 68 will send you all the sb for the coolant probs ensure you got ALL the upates Thermastat housing and plumbing reroutes ect the water pump is a quicky but make sure you get the right one! Hope ya get everything sorted out man. These engines can be made to hang in there, Problem is not everyone has the time, money or patients to get them there.

it sucks to drive a couple days strap down and tarp decent paying loads in 40 below wind chill and loose money doing it

Almost as bad as the company giving you a "backhaul" to get you up to where there's a halfway decent load coming back, but the load freezes in your bed and you spend almost 3 hours digging out...long enough that you don't have time to get that other load and you have to bounce home empty. :pat: I THINK I broke even that day...even if I did work for free :angry:

I don't like "backhauls". EVERY load is a load, and ought to PAY like a load.... :angry:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

46,000 rears 4:11 gears full lockers its a heavy hauler.

I could go for the 46K rears and full lockers, but 4:11's are kinda tall in my opinion. I've got 38K rears with 4.17's and just a power divider in mine and would change to at LEAST 4.35 if/when I ever "upgrade" to full locking 46K's :whistling: The fact that it ain't a gold dog on the hood, though, means I ain't interested in THAT truck, though.

If I'm gonna drive a Mack, I want to drive a :MackLogo:

If I want to drive a truck with vendor transmission & rears, I'll get an old Ford LTL9000 or a new International Paystar 5900SFA...

Either way, it'd also have to be a daycab painted white, of course.... :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Almost as bad as the company giving you a "backhaul" to get you up to where there's a halfway decent load coming back, but the load freezes in your bed and you spend almost 3 hours digging out...long enough that you don't have time to get that other load and you have to bounce home empty. :pat: I THINK I broke even that day...even if I did work for free :angry:

I don't like "backhauls". EVERY load is a load, and ought to PAY like a load.... :angry:

im getting decent paying freight 1.50/2.50 depending on the miles i should be making money

I could go for the 46K rears and full lockers, but 4:11's are kinda tall in my opinion. I've got 38K rears with 4.17's and just a power divider in mine and would change to at LEAST 4.35 if/when I ever "upgrade" to full locking 46K's :whistling: The fact that it ain't a gold dog on the hood, though, means I ain't interested in THAT truck, though.

If I'm gonna drive a Mack, I want to drive a :MackLogo:

If I want to drive a truck with vendor transmission & rears, I'll get an old Ford LTL9000 or a new International Paystar 5900SFA...

Either way, it'd also have to be a daycab painted white, of course.... :tease:

i have drove a lot of pedigree macks with crome dogs the gold dog is an interior package

B61

Unfortunatley 3 Mechcanics didn't design and build this engine . Things would be a whole lot diffrent if they had.

Don't forget this engine has been the back bone of the mack line for the last decade and all the stuff on it is bolton to get by reg's stuff the core engine is still good ole mack stuff.

The coolant system however evolved, got changed to put up with the egr heat its been a dogs breakfast of problems since.They how ever have worked thru MOST of the problems!

if 68 will send you all the sb for the coolant probs ensure you got ALL the upates Thermastat housing and plumbing reroutes ect the water pump is a quicky but make sure you get the right one! Hope ya get everything sorted out man. These engines can be made to hang in there, Problem is not everyone has the time, money or patients to get them there.

Does the 2004 have more problems than any other year,is a shame that is a good looking truck. hope you get it figgerd out. Ron

Does 2004 have more problems than any other year,is a shame that is a good looking truck. hope you get it figgerd out. Ron

Yup It Was A nightmare. ya had to be there to grasp the situation.It was embarrassing to say the least.Is the best words to describe it!

I been looking on truck paper and ebay motors and with the newer trucks as far back as 95-97 the gold bulldog represents an all Mack transmission and rears.

Mine's a 97 with a gold dog. 38k rears with 3.86 gears 18sp and just an air power divider. Makes for a nice cruisin speed...1575rpm @ 70mph. I wouldn't go any lower (numerically higher) than that next time around. I don't think I could justify the heavier rears either. I don't haul anything heavy, just adds to the tare weight...

Rowdy and I and whoever else do different work than you do poundin the pavement all day every day. Takes a whole different set-up sometimes.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Mine's a 97 with a gold dog. 38k rears with 3.86 gears 18sp and just an air power divider. Makes for a nice cruisin speed...1575rpm @ 70mph. I wouldn't go any lower (numerically higher) than that next time around. I don't think I could justify the heavier rears either. I don't haul anything heavy, just adds to the tare weight...

Rowdy and I and whoever else do different work than you do poundin the pavement all day every day. Takes a whole different set-up sometimes.

Only thing I pound is those college text books.

I got 4.17 gears in mine...and I wouldn't go any higher (numerically lower). If I changed 'em, I'd go to at LEAST a 4.35 gear. Mine are also 38K, and I'd swap 'em for 46K's in a heartbeat if the new axles had full lockers instead of just the power divider. They usually load me heavy in the nose, anyway...not too uncommon to be 36K or better on the drives. I don't like it, but what can ya do? :wacko: Then again, I'd go to at least an 18K or 20K steer axle, too...that way I could push the 5th wheel up a couple holes to get some weight OFF the drives...and still be legal. I only have a 12.8 axle up front right now....and floaters would be nice in the soft stuff so I don't sink in...and CTI would be nice, too, especially with in-dash controls so I could air up & down depending on load & pavement (or lack thereof)...

Yup. Even if I won the lottery tonight, I could prolly have every dime of it spent by this time tomorrow. :lol: