3208 Cat Engines

joes mack

this might be one of the dumbest questions ever but do all of these engines smoke like crazy and smell like raw fuel when you start them up? the fire dept im on just got two trucks 1 is a 1971 ford cabover pumper with a turbo engine the other is a 1985 L8000 tanker we got them from another fire dept that got some newer tuucks via federal grants. (for some odd reason we cant get any help getting them guess were not a big enough community )but both engines were remans 1 in 95 the other in 96 and both smoke like that when cold but when they warm up to about 100 deg neather one of them smoke. they both run fine expecialy the turbo engine any help would be greatly apprecated thanks joe

They will smoke like that until cylinders get warm, then you have more efficient combustion.

Thats why many trucks have a block heater. see if your trucks have one or add one yourself. different types out there

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

That is the way they are. Was that way when they were new. More that the cat engine was that way a few years back.The Mercedes was real bad also.

Oh I remember Mercedes trucks,starting it in winter; lots of white smoke that made eyes tear and stink

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

thanks for the info im just glad to know that its nothing major with the engines because of driver error or something because these engines/trucks get treated pretty rough cold starts building the air up and running on the floor with not much warm up time. will try to find the heaters on these trucks and see if it makes a difrence because its verry cold here in the hills(12deg) right now.and going to be colder tomorrow.thanks agin joe

• 1 month later...

Joe,

I have a Ford C-8000 with a 3208 NA that I start up every now and then.In the summertime, I use it as a mosquito fogger! Works great! Like the others say,its something they all do when cold. :thumb:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

i know what you mean about that we had a fire call one day and had to take all of the trucks (we have 5 but only 2 are diesels with the cats) and the neighbors son came down to the firescene and told us that the ststion was on fire he lives out of town and didnt know we had the two old cat motor trucks it was pretty funny when a couple of the guys went to check it out. joe

• 4 months later...

Hey not sure why you can't get a grant. Try a different writer. My Dad is on a volunteer fire dept. in Agar, SD which is a town of 81 people and they got a 250000 dollar grant I believe it was and got a brand new Sterling.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...