How To Identify Which B Model Yours Is

Is there a way to identify which B model a truck is without the ownership/title in your hand.

Until I get the ownership in my hands, the only thing I know about my truck is, It's a 1957. It has the Triplex 15 speed trani with the PTO and it's a diesel w/single drive axle.

Is there a site that I can input my serial numbers and get a break down of the trucks option?

Or identify the proper B model number ?

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0024-1.jpg

IMG_0025-1.jpg

IMG_0030-1.jpg

IMG_0031-1.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

Edited by In2Trux

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Yup Glenn. Tada.... http://oldmacksrus.com//Info.htm

Gives a complete run down of models, motors, trannys, rear ends, etc. My truck was a conglomeration, so the door tag don't match the frame serial number. The title(from door tag) is 1959, but the frame serial number puts it actually about a 1962 vintage(going by number sequence).

Sheetmetal wise they are pretty much all the same, except for the wide nose models(B70's), then the "L" cab versions. Like the B67 had a shorter hood and fenders and sometimes the concave back wall to reduce OAL and allow pulling a longer trailer back in the day. The number part of the "B" is the basic weight rating of the truck. B42 is lightweight, gas model where the B81SX is the big mother load chassis. Same sheetmetal.

Option breakdown? LOL!! Steering wheel, three pedals and some shifter levers is all you get. Power steering is about the only big option, beside maybe air start? Sorry, no A/C, radio or power windows/locks. :D

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Guest Old trux and new computers

Thanks Larry

Funny... I just registered over there lookin for info.. Seems like some what of a ghost town. I'll go back and look further.

Thanks Larry that helps tons..

This brings back memories of watching "High Ballin" with Jerry Reed and Peter Fonda. They are getting chased by the bad guys and Peter asks Jerry what he has for armament. Jerry says "I got a gearshift and a steering wheel" :pat: Pretty much the options for a B model :thumb:

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It looks to me like your engine is either a 673 P, or a 711, judging by the split intake. Maybe some one knows better. Another basic thing to keep in mind is that even number models were built with gas engines (B 42, B 60, etc. ) and diesel equipped trucks had odd numbers ( B 61, B73, etc. ). A lot of gas engines were replaced in later years with diesels, so like Freightrain says, the serial number may not tell the whole story. There is also some meaning to the letters following the first letters in your serial number. For example an S indicates a tandem drive, an L indicates Lightweight components, an X indicates an extra heavy duty chassis and so on. What is your serial number ? Steve.

It looks to me like your engine is either a 673 P, or a 711, judging by the split intake. like Freightrain says, the serial number may not tell the whole story. There is also some meaning to the letters following the first letters in your serial number. For example an S indicates a tandem drive, an L indicates Lightweight components, an X indicates an extra heavy duty chassis and so on. What is your serial number ? Steve.

I haven't got that information yet... Hoping to get down there either this weekend or in 2 weeks from today.

I want to get the numbers off the drivers door and off the chassis. Possibly off of the engine too.

I also want to find out if my transmission housing is aluminum too.

I'll take my camera again and get some more detailed pictures.

This will probably be the last time I'll see it until I take delivery of it in the spring.

The chassis numbers are just under the back of the cab? right side (passenger side)?? rite?

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Serial number...........look in the passenger front fenderwell, behind the tire, above the rear spring hanger.

10-4 thanks Larry

GLENN

GOT IT !!! Finally Now i just need to break it down.

Can anybody translate it for me ?? :unsure:

# is P61T11947

Edited by In2Trux

GLENN

The P in the serial # meens it is a Platform truck (straight truck)

so this means there was 47,459 from 1953 to 66 mine being a 1957

GLENN

This brings back memories of watching "High Ballin" with Jerry Reed and Peter Fonda. They are getting chased by the bad guys and Peter asks Jerry what he has for armament. Jerry says "I got a gearshift and a steering wheel" :pat: Pretty much the options for a B model :thumb:

Reminds me of one of the "Cannonball Run" movies-Jerry Reed loads up the entire back seat of the car with beer, and Terry Bradshaw said "didn't you get us any food?" and Jerry says "yeah",and throws a bag of chips in the car.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The P in the serial # meens it is a Platform truck (straight truck)

Actually, I believe that the first character in that serial # is a "B", as in "B61T11947, indicating that it is a B61 single axle tractor.

A "P" if it were for "platform" designation, would follow the "61" in the serial number, not precede it.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Mmmm :wacko: The first character in the serial number on the ownership is definitely a "P"

GLENN

Better look closer.

To my knowledge, Mack never made a "P61".

I definitly agree with Herb because the truck inwhich you have is truly a B model. Mine is a B61T38914.....the T is for tractor. When and if you register your truck with the mack museum tell them your numbers so you can be put on a registry list, that way they can keep up with how many and where the B models have gone and have homes to recide at. I would use the number from the frame because most likely someone would normally change a door before they would a frame.

Regards

mike :mack1:

Yeah... I have to agree with Mike.

Some how over the years the "B" in B61 on the ownership got changed to a "P"

Not a problem... All I need is a letter, with a Mack Dealership letter head stating that it is infact a "B" and could not possibly be a "P" and the Ministry of curbs and pot hole with correct the ownership.

I just had the same thing done to my 57 Chev truck... When I bought it.. The ownership said it was a 57 GMC. It wasn't.. It was a Chevy truck.

Got a letter from the chev dealership, short story short. bada bing bada boom ownership fixed :thumb:

GLENN

• 7 years later...
On 10/1/2009 at 8:15 PM, steve s. said:

It looks to me like your engine is either a 673 P, or a 711, judging by the split intake. Maybe some one knows better. Another basic thing to keep in mind is that even number models were built with gas engines (B 42, B 60, etc. ) and diesel equipped trucks had odd numbers ( B 61, B73, etc. ). A lot of gas engines were replaced in later years with diesels, so like Freightrain says, the serial number may not tell the whole story. There is also some meaning to the letters following the first letters in your serial number. For example an S indicates a tandem drive, an L indicates Lightweight components, an X indicates an extra heavy duty chassis and so on. What is your serial number ? Steve.

That is not correct concerning the even and odd numbers on the B models.  My B95 has a gasoline engine.