Hey guys,

Spotted this good looking rs700, problem is that it is located in Oregon. Thats about 3000 miles from me here in NY City. Low price but they quoted shipping at 3500 which sounds high but seeing as how much money diesel is today I can understand. What do you guys think? Old R cab, quad box, and a cummins with the top end in pieces. Tires are supposed to be 22.5" but those rims look like 20" tube. Too bad it cant run :(

http://www.andersonbrotherstruck.com/inven...eet/?ID=1749999

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Looks to be in decent shape body wise,but it has the wrong engine,supposed to have a 866 V8.

Thanks for the info superdog. What horsepower ratings did the 866 sport? I heard parts can be a pain to get. I love the RS700 but man shipping is gonna hurt.

-Thad

What you're looking at is a parts truck- blown engine, some parts stripped already, etc.. It's never worth it to ship a parts truck clear across the country- for what you'd have in it by the time you get it home you could have a running Superliner.

I know. But man I love the 700. And to have one that looks good but is not running and across the country is a turn off.

-Thad

Thad,

If I remember correctly, the engine is 865 cu and is rated at 325 HP...not much by today's standards, but a lot 40 years ago. Only thouble with those motors is they have twin turbos (which have a tendency to blow) and will kill you with fuel economy.

The good news with the R-700 series is that the hood is long enough to take any engine you want to put in it!

Jeff...

I cant open the pics So I cant see its condition but I can tell you from experience that if the truck needs lots of work you will run in circles trying to restore it to orginal form. My first B needed so much work the I ended up geting another B model and used parts from both to make one good truck. If I did it all over again I would have found a truck that cost a little more but was in better condition. I love working on trucks but I just dont have deep pockets to do frame offs like the pros do.

I got real lucky with my RS as it was a O/O truck and was maintained well over its life. I think it was only neglected for its last few years. It has been much more fun to build off a straight truck than to have to fight with other peoples hack jobs and temp fixes.

I dont have my mack book in front of me but I think The 866 and 865 needed diffrent transmissions. one was a maxidyne and could use 5 gears the other needed more gears as it did not have a flat toru curve of the maxidyne.

For some reason I always here of rod bearing problems with the older V8s?

post a pic on here if you can I always like to see a nice looking RS

Wow mixed emotion here! Well The engine is a cummins thats missing most of the top end so I would need an engine. Tranny and everything else is fine. Im just a little dissapointed that it has the older R cab. I dont mind it but I like the newer R interior. Looks clean, long wheel base, bud wheels which I prefer on a 700.

Trent your probably having java script problems. Here are all the pics:

-Thad

I talked to a guy about this truck earlier in the month. I was, and still am considering it for my Detroit project; The measurements seem to suggest it would fit. I wonder if the cab has been changed to the older style? It's always been said the larger cab change came with the 73 model year chassis. Me, I'm kinda partial to the smaller cab with "less" amenities. Maybe that is why I'm also partial to A & B models.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

first thing, junk the cummins and put a bulldog back in it, unless you really want it original i would either put a 2 valve in it, or an e7 mechanical, 2 valve 350 with the tip turbine intercooler best motor ever built never touch it, my uncle used to run his towing business thru my grandpas mack shop here in illinois, they got an 82 valueliner with 350 2 valve and 13 speed fuller, screw turned some it will outrun cars out of the toll booth empty, no older 400 cummins or clatterpillar will even touch this thing, and you can find 2 valves cheap, all you need to make a 300 a 350 is change the turbo, pump settings and put the water manifold intercooler on it, my rs700 has now got a e7 400 in it, set at about 425 now, when pulling season rolls around and i gotta go up against a few petes with c15s will set her up all the way, ask trent even the old two valves will scream though, two seasons ago i outpulled a buddy of ours 379 with a 550 in it (rob's trucking/lenzini excavatings), i took 6th out of 17 trucks with a 300+,

I talked to a guy about this truck earlier in the month. I was, and still am considering it for my Detroit project; The measurements seem to suggest it would fit. I wonder if the cab has been changed to the older style? It's always been said the larger cab change came with the 73 model year chassis. Me, I'm kinda partial to the smaller cab with "less" amenities. Maybe that is why I'm also partial to A & B models.

Rob

So competition eh. We will see who gets it first. LOL just kiddin :P . 12v71 detroit? Sounds like a sweet project. Heck I think I am going to pass on it anyway, WA is just too far and to spend more on the shipping then the truck is kinda silly to me. If anyone knows of a nice 700, maybe one with a longer wheelbase in the new england area or close to it, let me know.

-Thad

Hi Thad, no completition from me. In fact I've had the same dilemma as you with the freight costs. Kinda takes the attractivness away from the truck due to distance.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for posting the pics Thad. looks like a straight truck to build off of. I think I saw that truck on truck paper or truck trader?? that is pretty far to get it lots of $$$ that could be spent on restoring it. Im shure you can find another RS that is close to you for a little more that runs and can be driven home. I always tell people that im lucky I dont own a trailer because I would have lots of junk at the yard I would need to restore someday.

I think your right Rob, 72-73 ish was the changeover year to the larger cabs. I like the small cabs just as much as they are simple but the extra few inches in the later cabs shure are nice when you are going to the truck shows with tools the girlfriend and the dog all in the same cab LOL

I have seen Johns (bulldogbred) truck pull. He turned me on to truck pulling last year. That 300+ in his ride was pretty impressive for an older 2v motor. Cant wait to see his E7 400 pull this summer. He is right that some of these older motors have more grunt than the new elctronics do. I turned up my 2v this winter and hope to get some of these big cats at the next pull event.

I have some questions regarding the R and RS-700's and R and RS-600's I hope someone can help me with. I read a reply above from Superdog stating that this RS-700 should have an ENDT-866 V-8 engine. I have an RS-795 with ENDT-865 V-8 I have spec. sheets from factory still has same engine from factory, I know of a couple of R797 with ENDT-866 V-8 does the third number define which engine the truck came out with like it did in the B-Model numbering system? If so what numbers were used for these trucks equipped with Cummins, Cat, and Detroit engines? By the way all the trucks I mentioned above are 1974 Models. I have seen RS-700 with factory 12V71 Detroit and my father used to own a 74 RS-700 with Cummins from factory. Were any ever made with Cat? Also My Mack service manuals list the 866 as a thermodyne at 375 hp. and the 865 as a Maxadyne making either 322 or 325 horse depending on series. Thanks again and any help on these questions would be great thanks again Block

I have some questions regarding the R and RS-700's and R and RS-600's I hope someone can help me with. I read a reply above from Superdog stating that this RS-700 should have an ENDT-866 V-8 engine. I have an RS-795 with ENDT-865 V-8 I have spec. sheets from factory still has same engine from factory, I know of a couple of R797 with ENDT-866 V-8 does the third number define which engine the truck came out with like it did in the B-Model numbering system? If so what numbers were used for these trucks equipped with Cummins, Cat, and Detroit engines? By the way all the trucks I mentioned above are 1974 Models. I have seen RS-700 with factory 12V71 Detroit and my father used to own a 74 RS-700 with Cummins from factory. Were any ever made with Cat? Also My Mack service manuals list the 866 as a thermodyne at 375 hp. and the 865 as a Maxadyne making either 322 or 325 horse depending on series. Thanks again and any help on these questions would be great thanks again Block

The last 2 numbers were the engine code,here are a few for example,using the RS700 as the truck.

RS785.....ENDT675 Maxidyne

RS786.....ENDT676 Maxidyne

RS795.....ENDT865 Maxidyne

RS797.....ENDT866 Thermodyne

RS771.....12V71 Detroit

RS773......8V71 Detroit

RS747......NTC290 Cummins

RS767......NTC350 Cummins

They did put some Cats in but I'd have to get my book out,only one I can remember off the top of my head is the code for a 3208,which is 92,never made the 700 series R models,but there were some R492's made.

If you want to know any other specific ones,let me know,cause there were hundred or so,take me all day to type them all,I did once for Tom Gannaway,hope he saved it somewhere.

One more thing,Block,there was also a 285 hp version of the ENDT865 V8 and a 350 hp version of the 866.

• 2 weeks later...

Thad,

Hi...read your post about the R700 you were considering having shipped cross country. I am looking at an old Mack in Colorado and thinking about having it shipped to me in Virginia.

Do you have the contact information for the trucking company that was going to haul your truck? If so, could you pass it along? The guy I'm looking to buy the truck from isn't a dealer or anything and has no contacts out there and I have no idea where to start looking for a carrier!

Thanks...Jeff

Thad,

Hi...read your post about the R700 you were considering having shipped cross country. I am looking at an old Mack in Colorado and thinking about having it shipped to me in Virginia.

Do you have the contact information for the trucking company that was going to haul your truck? If so, could you pass it along? The guy I'm looking to buy the truck from isn't a dealer or anything and has no contacts out there and I have no idea where to start looking for a carrier!

Thanks...Jeff

Hey Jeff,

The dealer gave me that quote so who knows. It does sound a bit pricy but with diesel prices up I guess I can see why.

-Thad

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bollweevil

i thought this truck already been sold? any one know for sure?

Fred

[/quote ] Yes, I bought the RS700 along with a 77 Freightliner, which I used to piggy back the RS700 home to North Ga.

Guest Bollweevil

welcome to the site!

Whats the plan for the RS700L and freight shaker?

This truck is in remarkable condition. It is rust free, there are only minor issues with the hood, all easy repairs. With the exception of the floor mats, and a torn drivers seat the interior is also in excellent condition. It even has the optional sliding rear window. Now, as for plans, at the risk of offending someone, I have no intention of restoring this truck to it's original condition. I don't want to haul logs, I have well in excess of 2,000,000 miles of seat time in my own trucks and I don't want to go anywhere. However, I do so like to Dump Truck, and this Bull Puppy is going back to work, with fresh paint, and a new dump body. The Freightliner had a Big Cam 3 350, a 12513, and a 433 single axle Rockwell. You have to remember that I drove this truck back from Eugene, Oregon to my home in Morganton Ga. 3080 miles in three and a half days. It ran well, used no oil, gave me no trouble. The transmission is a typical 12513, noisy in overdrive. I bought this truck for less than the price of an engine. I also gained a new National seat, correct color, new AC compressor, an air drier, remote mirror, Just a whole bunch of good stuff. I set the engine in the RS700, along with a new soft pedal clutch, this past Friday. I hope to be able to drive it by tomorrow afternoon. If the rest of the running gear checks out good, I need to shorten the wheel base by 14 inches and convert the Hendrickson Pad suspension to an extended leaf. Then on to the paint booth. If you still want a 12513, I am not going to use this one

• 3 weeks later...

This truck is in remarkable condition. It is rust free, there are only minor issues with the hood, all easy repairs. With the exception of the floor mats, and a torn drivers seat the interior is also in excellent condition. It even has the optional sliding rear window. Now, as for plans, at the risk of offending someone, I have no intention of restoring this truck to it's original condition. I don't want to haul logs, I have well in excess of 2,000,000 miles of seat time in my own trucks and I don't want to go anywhere. However, I do so like to Dump Truck, and this Bull Puppy is going back to work, with fresh paint, and a new dump body. The Freightliner had a Big Cam 3 350, a 12513, and a 433 single axle Rockwell. You have to remember that I drove this truck back from Eugene, Oregon to my home in Morganton Ga. 3080 miles in three and a half days. It ran well, used no oil, gave me no trouble. The transmission is a typical 12513, noisy in overdrive. I bought this truck for less than the price of an engine. I also gained a new National seat, correct color, new AC compressor, an air drier, remote mirror, Just a whole bunch of good stuff. I set the engine in the RS700, along with a new soft pedal clutch, this past Friday. I hope to be able to drive it by tomorrow afternoon. If the rest of the running gear checks out good, I need to shorten the wheel base by 14 inches and convert the Hendrickson Pad suspension to an extended leaf. Then on to the paint booth. If you still want a 12513, I am not going to use this one

Hey Bollweevil,

Whats the progress on that old rs700? Interested to see it with the new engine and dump body. Did you cut the frame or move the tandems? Should get some pictures up!

-Thad

Guest Bollweevil

Hey Bollweevil,

Whats the progress on that old rs700? Interested to see it with the new engine and dump body. Did you cut the frame or move the tandems? Should get some pictures up!

Thad I'm glad to hear from you. Here are a few photos that I've been able to upload. All my photos are HUGE so I'm going to have to resize them. I'll get more loaded later.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383860

Since these photos were taken I've gotten the engine installed and I've been working on getting the power steering reservoir mounted. I've also completed a fair amount of the interior (new floormats, seat installation, replaced steering column adjuster) but I'm waiting on new shifter boots and cover plate.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good steering wheel? There's not quite enough room between the wheel and the seat for me.

Let me know what you think!