Which Co Used Single Axle R's W/pin On Pusher Axle?

I have an 84 R600 single axle. It has a large casting for the rear closing crossmember with two large holes on the bottom, horizontaly, opening toward rear. I was told the original company ordered these with a removable rear axle. Does anyone remember these and what company used them? I think it came up from NJ.

yep I vote roadway also. they had lots of them set up this way. They also had some add ball R models with deleted or wierd options.

I have seen the dogs removed for cost savings

odd ball fuel tankes added with a "poker rod" as your standard fuel gauge

air start

318 detroits in R700s

the list go on and on with roadway tractors LOL

Thanks for all the replies. I am keeping my truck as an antique, but it is a dump now. I was wondering what happened to the fuel gauge and figured maybe someone took it out and put the pyrometer in its place. But that explains it, deleted for cost savings. Other od stuff,,,, it is the 1st R model I have seen without the Kysor alarm, it also doesn't have a hand throttle. The ignition key is on the right angled pannel just below the retangular double green signal lights (I keep reaching to the left of the shutdown cable knob). I think a previous owner took out the Jifflox control and put the PTO switch in its place. It has a single 11" frame, all the other Rs seem to have single 10" or double 11".

I will have to go out tomorrow and look at the unique square crossmember in front of the drive axle for hitch mounting holes and air line hookups.

The rear of the frame has a 1" plate bolted across the Jifflox mounting holes, and this is where the pintle hook is now. Otherwise I would be looking for a axle,,,,,, that would be a site, a dump with a 5th wheel behind the tailgate......

I heard a story about no fuel gauge on Roadway trucks. The trucks ran from terminal to terminal and did not refuel in between. There was enough fuel to get the truck to the next terminal where it was refueled. So there was no need for a fuel gauge. They used air starters to eliminate batteries to save weight and additional maintenance. They also ran a small oil line from the engine to the fuel tank and burned the used oil. They only topped off the oil and changed the filters thus eliminating oil changes. Roadway trucks were all business with no frills.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

If I remember correctly(20 years ago when I worked at a Mack dealer) Roadway was a Tough costumer

lots of idiot lights no gauges

The tach and speedometer was special built as one unit {not a tachograf} with a highbeam light indicator that was an R for Roadway instead of the Little Mack dog

No mascot or truck company advertising just like UPS and some others

Door on top of hood to check water

You were able to check oil and add oil without opening hood

The key switch was put on the left side so it could be started from the ground (union idea)

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

yep I vote roadway also. they had lots of them set up this way. They also had some add ball R models with deleted or wierd options.

I have seen the dogs removed for cost savings

odd ball fuel tankes added with a "poker rod" as your standard fuel gauge

air start

318 detroits in R700s

the list go on and on with roadway tractors LOL

I remember the R models with the 318's well. They ran rt. 35 in Ohio a lot, and when they keyed the mike to talk on the CB all you could hear was the engine.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

This brings back some memories...If I recall many had a wierd under the hood air cleaner. no jump seats, and like mentioned the LH dashpanel had 2 or 3 gauges.. thats it.. the RH had none or was used for 1 gauge that was not found on the LH side.

very bare R models indeed. I liked the old overnight R models with the cab side flares and roof mounted air foil thingy..

Trent