80w in the winter, 140w in the summer.

Or 85/140 year 'round!

If pulling toys around, I think I would stick with 80w-90.

Here is a trick I picked up on in the mid 70's.

Put in a couple of cans of STP in each gear box or transmission.

By actual tests the STP will lower the transmission AND gears by 25 degs.

If it's running cooler, it's got to be better on the gears and bearings.

Now before I get some flack on STP, let me state that in an engine, it will last until it hits the luberfiner, and I have no use for it in the crankcase except to get a Cummins home with a pulled sleave.

Try it , you might like it!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

A good friend of mine always said STP stands for "Sweet Tasting P*ssy". Personally, I run the 80w 90 Bulldog gear lube in mine year round. If its good enough for factory fill, its good enough for me.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I use Royal Purple synthetic in all of my cars/ and truck(engines/trans/and differentials. I will use it in the engine/transmission/differential of the B I'm restoring. Take a look at the website, ask fleet operators etc. but I think it's the best lube available. There have been fleet studies on Royal Purple use, "allegedly" better fuel milage, less failures etc.

Here is the their site, http://www.longrider.com/

By the way, we don't sell or promote any oils/lubes here at P.A.I. This is strictly my opinion and a suggestion for those who may not have heard of this oil/lube company.

Jim T.

I put some Lucas in my triplex. In hopes that it might quiet it down? Been in there 4 yrs now. 1/2 and 1/2 with some gear lube. I think it helped some...it really used to rattle hard after a long drive. Does make it a bit stiff on winter days...not that it happens very often.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've run Lucas in my v-8 since i rebuilt it, no problems, also run lucas fuel treatment in the winter and have not had a freeze up. I'm going to try the red and tacky grease on my machines next to see how it holds up under pressure and heat.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

A good friend of mine always said STP stands for "Sweet Tasting P*ssy". Personally, I run the 80w 90 Bulldog gear lube in mine year round. If its good enough for factory fill, its good enough for me.

Hi HK, I run the same 80w 90 as you in both trucks and have not had any problems. And Freight, I hope your triplex is okay, Macks have the quietest transmissions of any truck I've ever driven (hypoid gears I guess). Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

I think mine is way beyond worn out? LOL!!

Running down the road it's not bad, but let it pull against it down a long grade and it sounds pretty nasty...clunk'n and bang'n and rattl'n.

Lucas kinda took up some of the slack...but it still rattles pretty bad after a long road trip(idle in neutral). It doesn't pop out of gears(except 2nd on coast side) but don't use it often enough to worry about it.

Like to replace it...but just haven't got my hands on the right one yet.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

This is going off of the subject some, but I have been told that Brown-lipe aux. trans take 50w engine oil, due to the needle bearings in the trans. I know that the Mack built trans are made together but I have seen a few Macks with the Aux trans (brownie). I want to make the b73 into a duplex with a brownie trans. I have seen one factory built b73 with 3 sticks before. I have also noticed that if I put the main box in 4the gear and the aux in neutral when I let the engine warm up that it is easier to shift. I guess it warms up the whole transmission that way.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!