Lakerboy909

Million miles on a MP8?

12 posts in this topic

I got a 2012 Mack CXU613, I was just wondering how many miles people have on their trucks? I have 619,048 miles on mine. Was wondering if these new trucks can get a million before a rebuild?

Mainly depends on how you drive and maintain it. Anything can get big miles if you take care of it and don't abuse it.     Paul

1 person likes this

Yea I understand that, I just hear a lot of stories about of all these emissions, motors don't last as long like they used to. 

I 'm all pre emissions but most I know who run the Granite's( Horan, and Bromans on L.I. and Shaw Construction in Maine) have no more problems than other makes and may be even less because of their maintenance schedules.

That is good to know! I just replaced the egr cooler. I have a 2001 Peterbilt, just contemplating if I should dump the Mack and just roll with the Pete. Trying to get different opinions. 

The bottom ends of the MP8 series have been doing quite well.  Lots of untouched 7-800,000 mile highway units with the bottom ends untouched still running. Cups and injectors done already of coarse.  Lol.  Rebuilding or installing a drop in of this series of engine is just shy of double of it it would cost to do an etech in frame or drop in.  A 2010 with a spun bearing came in.  A drop in engine, plus labor to swap was just shy of $40k Canadian. Not cheap.

Gone are the days of the drop in Maxidyne for 6,000.

Yeah, I remember my first mechanic job in the late '80s my boss getting Pedigreed exchange E6 for $7500 with a good core. Plus my labor to swap. Didn't make a lot of money at that job, but learned a lot.

Was looking for some photos, but can't put my hand on them. Kearney Trucking in Portland, PA. had some sharp Macks back in the day.

People always forget about the bullgears/timing gears on a MP. That's why I push the Mack Reman engine when overhaul or major engine failure occurs. Why spend 20K on an overhaul when a year later your bull gear goes out and your screwed again. Drop in the reman and it's all covered! Downfall is it's 30-35K  

48 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

People always forget about the bullgears/timing gears on a MP. That's why I push the Mack Reman engine when overhaul or major engine failure occurs. Why spend 20K on an overhaul when a year later your bull gear goes out and your screwed again. Drop in the reman and it's all covered! Downfall is it's 30-35K  

Ya But the bull gear job aint cheap add that to the rebuild you may just as well do the drop in !

1 person likes this