Got Some New Tires:

Rob

Guy is cleaning out his barn and discovers that he has a few tires in a size he no longer uses on farm trucks. Asks if I'll take and get rid of them for him.

Out of a total of seven tires, five are 10.00RX20 with two virgin steer tires, (Yokahama), two new recap Fidelity brand, and another recap that is excellent. Each of the tires have new tubes and flaps included. I asked about the steer tires and they have less than 7500 miles on them when he swapped to tubeless tires from another truck. The other two are dry rotted so I'l prolly use them for something else.

Be nice to get the flat spot bias tires off the front of one of my trucks. I'll use the caps on my yard dog so reliability won't be an issue as it never leaves the property.

Rob

post-78-1246132889_thumb.jpg

post-78-1246132904_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Guy is cleaning out his barn and discovers that he has a few tires in a size he no longer uses on farm trucks. Asks if I'll take and get rid of them for him.

Out of a total of seven tires, five are 10.00RX20 with two virgin steer tires, (Yokahama), two new recap Fidelity brand, and another recap that is excellent. Each of the tires have new tubes and flaps included. I asked about the steer tires and they have less than 7500 miles on them when he swapped to tubeless tires from another truck. The other two are dry rotted so I'l prolly use them for something else.

Be nice to get the flat spot bias tires off the front of one of my trucks. I'll use the caps on my yard dog so reliability won't be an issue as it never leaves the property.

Rob

Free is always my favorite brand.

Rob

Geez, I wouldn't put them tires on a wheel barrow!..just send them to me, and i'll dispose of them for you at no cost.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Geez, I wouldn't put them tires on a wheel barrow!..just send them to me, and i'll dispose of them for you at no cost.

I could do that......

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

great, I got a brush pile I need to burn...send me some wheels too, I...I...I'll think of something.-

Now, if you just want to burn brush, call me the next time you are in Alpharetta. I can fix you up with about twenty. I"ll even help you load and strap them down.

Now, if you just want to burn brush, call me the next time you are in Alpharetta. I can fix you up with about twenty. I"ll even help you load and strap them down.

They can be a little expensive to get rid of correctly. I wouldn't even think of dumping a bit of diesel fuel on them as they rested on cardboard while I tested my bic lighter out......

Rob

Speaking of new tires...I had just about wore out all my drive tires and trailer tires....I mean the D.O.T. would have locked my butt up and thrown away the key if they had seen what I was riding around on. So I've been working what little bit of butt I have off to get some decent tires . But as my luck would have it I didn't get them free....hhhmmmm tell us again how you pulled that one off Rob. Did you have some dirt on the ole guy? Just kidding :D

Matt

post-2321-1246197998_thumb.jpg

post-2321-1246198119_thumb.jpg

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

They can be a little expensive to get rid of correctly. I wouldn't even think of dumping a bit of diesel fuel on them as they rested on cardboard while I tested my bic lighter out......

Rob

No, yaw have it all wrong. Them tires could be used for the BBQ pit. Add's alittle flavor to the meat. :P Rob i'm surprised ya didn't think of it while you were using your Bic. Those tires would probably last most of this summer if ya put out tha fire each time you started tha BBQ pit. B)

mike :rolleyes:

Free tires are good...to a point. How long were they sitting in the barn? How old are they? About 7 to 8 years after a tire is manufactured, it's likelihood of catastrophic failure begins to increase. Even if they are stored inside, the rubber deteriorates.

I wouldn't trust those tires on MY truck...but then again, my truck is what pays the bills for me. For a hobby truck, they'll probably be alright...I'd just be cautious on any high-speed or long-distance trips you may take on those tires. Sure, they appear to be "free" now....but remember: NOTHING is ever really free. How much will a service truck cost if it fails out on the road? How much collateral damage will have to be repaired? All part of the cost of those "free" tires. :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I just read a real good article in a magazine called Heavy Duty Trucking, about different factors that take their toll on tires. The main point of the article was that it is not the age of the tire, but it's overall condition, maintence history, inflation history that decide how long it is going to run. I always seem to get into arguements over recaps. They will run as long as anything else, if they are taken care of properly. The key thing to remeber is Proper Inflation.

I just read a real good article in a magazine called Heavy Duty Trucking, about different factors that take their toll on tires. The main point of the article was that it is not the age of the tire, but it's overall condition, maintence history, inflation history that decide how long it is going to run. I always seem to get into arguements over recaps. They will run as long as anything else, if they are taken care of properly. The key thing to remeber is Proper Inflation.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4988518&page=1

http://www.uslaw.com/library/Personal_Inju...php?item=166414

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Tires-2359/2009...ire-Failure.htm

I'm not saying those other factors aren't important too...which is why I DON'T run recaps currently. The only way recaps will find their way onto my truck is if cases, which I bought new and which I wore out the original tread so that I KNOW they have been properly inflated and haven't run over anything to damage them....those cases can be recapped by the manufacturer and I'll run 'em. I've only had my own truck for a little over a year, though, so haven't had it long enough to wear out the new tires I bought in December. When I do wear them out, I'll probably buy another set of new tires and have these capped for the next time I need tires...because I KNOW these cases are good and are not very old.

..but once a case is 6 years old, I'm not capping it again. If someone else wants to tear their equipment up running other people's cases and older tires, that's their choice. The stuff that gets tore up when a tire comes apart is way too expensive for me to run junk tires.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That is exactly right. For the last 8 years I have run a lot of discards. You don't the very best on a construction site. Other than debris damage, heat is the major cause of tire failure. A flexing sidewall, due to under inflation will cause the best tire to fail. I run my tandem dumps at 110 psi. Why? As you increase the pressure, the load rating increases. A tight tire will run cooler and last longer. Did any of you readers see Henry Fonda in " Elegant John", the elegant part was that he never had a blowout. I've had plenty. A hammer or tire billy will let you know when a tire is low or flat," less than 60 psi" but a good tire guage is part of an operators gear.

Rowdey Rebel... All of the links you posted deal with Passenger/ light truck tires. That is alot like comparing apples and oranges. Modern commercial truck tires casings can make 1 million miles with proper care. In our situation, we have a lot of drivers who will never see virgins on the tractor or the trailer due to thier record of wrecked tires and blow outs. On the other hand we also have drivers that get nothing but virgins all the way around. If I was a one man band I would have virgins all around, because I would know the history of care.

i have to agree with on the tire gauge thing.

because i am a trained grease monkey and what i have learned from UTI is that the tire gaue is the most inportant thing to have for any driver, not just big rigs. rice burners, rustangs, cheys, dodges and any thing with wheels/pnumatic tires.

some trucker should know you can not test a tire with a hammer/club/boot/ect... but with a gauges.

a good gauge should run at least less then a ballpeen in price.

sorry if i am standing on the soap box too long

That is exactly right. For the last 8 years I have run a lot of discards. You don't the very best on a construction site. Other than debris damage, heat is the major cause of tire failure. A flexing sidewall, due to under inflation will cause the best tire to fail. I run my tandem dumps at 110 psi. Why? As you increase the pressure, the load rating increases. A tight tire will run cooler and last longer. Did any of you readers see Henry Fonda in " Elegant John", the elegant part was that he never had a blowout. I've had plenty. A hammer or tire billy will let you know when a tire is low or flat," less than 60 psi" but a good tire guage is part of an operators gear.

i don't know any thing about rubber and aging.

but you have lucked out on a free set of tires

Rob