Mack To Consolidate U.s. Production In Macungie, Pa, Assembly

Mack to Consolidate U.S. Production in Macungie, PA, Assembly

LEHIGH VALLEY, PA (June 25, 2009) – Mack Trucks, Inc. today announced that the company will move forward with its previously announced plan to consolidate production of its entire product line at its assembly facility in Macungie, PA.

The plan involves transferring assembly of Mack highway vehicles from the plant in Virginia’s New River Valley to Macungie, where Mack’s construction and refuse trucks are assembled, to take advantage of efficiencies arising from consolidated assembly, and to create a brand-unique environment for Mack customers.

The company expects to begin the transfer in September 2009 and complete it by the end of November 2009, during which period there will be a gradual production ramp-down in NRV and a corresponding ramp-up in Macungie.

Due to the prevailing market conditions, the company expects that rather than adding personnel in Macungie, it will instead support the increased production by reducing the number of down weeks. The transfer is expected to result in an employment reduction at the NRV plant, which will continue to produce Volvo Trucks North America’s entire product range, but it is too early to quantify the impact.

Mack to Consolidate U.S. Production in Macungie, PA, Assembly

LEHIGH VALLEY, PA (June 25, 2009) – Mack Trucks, Inc. today announced that the company will move forward with its previously announced plan to consolidate production of its entire product line at its assembly facility in Macungie, PA.

The plan involves transferring assembly of Mack highway vehicles from the plant in Virginia's New River Valley to Macungie, where Mack's construction and refuse trucks are assembled, to take advantage of efficiencies arising from consolidated assembly, and to create a brand-unique environment for Mack customers.

The company expects to begin the transfer in September 2009 and complete it by the end of November 2009, during which period there will be a gradual production ramp-down in NRV and a corresponding ramp-up in Macungie.

Due to the prevailing market conditions, the company expects that rather than adding personnel in Macungie, it will instead support the increased production by reducing the number of down weeks. The transfer is expected to result in an employment reduction at the NRV plant, which will continue to produce Volvo Trucks North America's entire product range, but it is too early to quantify the impact.

Build 'em near where they were born in Mack country!

:chili::banana::thumb::SMOKIE-RT:

Nope sorry

How do you know this for sure?

If both sleeper and vocational trucks are going to be produced in one factory then why not?

This also means we might see Visions and CH's with heavier axles.

It also shows that Mack production is slow compared to Volvo. Mack is shrinking while Volvo is growing.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I was so happy to see that. I hope they don't do any more"restructuring" and keep Mack seperated from the Volvo production, and keep them in Pa. where they belong. It was a bummer when I was a kid to see them pull out of Canada also, and now I've also heard talk of International pulling out of Canada and moving most of it's production to Mexico, just like Freightshaker/Western Star. I hope Mack stays in the U.S. and doesn't go the Mexico route like everyone else. I don't want to have to loose my respect for Mack too. :wacko:

It reads: "A short 42-inch compartment is the only sleeper option now offered." HDT

You know what I think they offer it in Australia with a sleeper option not in the USA though. Although if they state it is available right now that wouldn't make sense if came from the factory (highway in Virginia right now). I know in canada they are outfitting Titans with short sleepers.

:

I was so happy to see that. I hope they don't do any more"restructuring" and keep Mack seperated from the Volvo production, and keep them in Pa. where they belong. It was a bummer when I was a kid to see them pull out of Canada also, and now I've also heard talk of International pulling out of Canada and moving most of it's production to Mexico, just like Freightshaker/Western Star. I hope Mack stays in the U.S. and doesn't go the Mexico route like everyone else. I don't want to have to loose my respect for Mack too. :wacko:

:SMOKIE-RT: Sterling in St.Thomas,Ont is gone too. And also the Volvo plant formerly Champion Road Grader in Goderich,Ont. shut down for good on tuesday,they,re moving it to Pa.

• 2 months later...

I saw a MACK AUSTRALIA video on youtube about the new titans down under and they already have sleepers, I think volvo is just screwing around with mack in the U.S. as usual. What a bunch of morans those guys are. If your gonna enter the Heavy haul market...ENTER it, dominate it. That is what MACK is famous for, they don't say Built like a Mack Truck for nothing. Yo volvo don't you get it yet. Most of the companies that move over dimentional loads need sleepers especially with jumbo loads. Most oversize loads can not move at night because of the movement permits issued by the state governments. I haul several over dimentional loads a year and almost never load and unload on the same day. Of coarse I mostly only haul over length and over height loads and mostly of legal weight but If I had a tractor that could move over weight loads like the Titan was designed to haul I would still need a sleeper because there is alot of sitting and waiting to get those loads. when loaded alot of the guys get motel rooms at night but with the economy in the shape it is in I bet that most drivers nowadays cann't afford to do that anymore.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I saw a MACK AUSTRALIA video on youtube about the new titans down under and they already have sleepers, I think volvo is just screwing around with mack in the U.S. as usual. What a bunch of morans those guys are. If your gonna enter the Heavy haul market...ENTER it, dominate it. That is what MACK is famous for, they don't say Built like a Mack Truck for nothing. Yo volvo don't you get it yet. Most of the companies that move over dimentional loads need sleepers especially with jumbo loads. Most oversize loads can not move at night because of the movement permits issued by the state governments. I haul several over dimentional loads a year and almost never load and unload on the same day. Of coarse I mostly only haul over length and over height loads and mostly of legal weight but If I had a tractor that could move over weight loads like the Titan was designed to haul I would still need a sleeper because there is alot of sitting and waiting to get those loads. when loaded alot of the guys get motel rooms at night but with the economy in the shape it is in I bet that most drivers nowadays cann't afford to do that anymore.

Volvo wants the highway business for themselves. They don't like the Vision and CH competing with their VN series. There was talk of them wanting to cut sleeper options all together to force Mack highway customers to their Volvo VN. IT didnt work. They even tried to compete with the big boys like Paccar with the VT and failed. If Mack introduced a New Superliner then they would have a clear winner. They should put the MP10 into the Vision and push it as an Aero highway truck.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!