Running A E-9 Everday?

MACK MAN

Ok I my Suoerliner is just about ready for the road,1989 E 9 440 hp.I was going to use it for a back up truck,problem is it came out to nice to use once in a while.Truck is real tight,drop the pan on the motor rods and mains look new,I got the truck from the 2nd owner,so I have some of the history,truck never left Texas,shows 490,000 miles,might be,might not,sure looks like it the real milage.I want to run it everday,I run about 7,500 miles a month,run in a 200 mile area of Oklahoma,pull a flatbed,loaded one way,come back empty.How reliable is the E 9?,I want to sell my 2006 Western star,and run the Mack.No problems with the star,just want to drive a real truck again.I haul under contract to one customer,so reliabilty is a real big concern to me.

I think the later V8s were pretty good i.e E9 sieres

I hear of bearing issues with the early versions 865 or 866 V8s

My company I work for has a 440 V8 with 480,000 miles on it with out a rebuild.

besides the basic stuff that wears out its been a good engine. It does have excess blow by now and will need a rebuild soon . The down fall with the v8 is that if it does break something . its likely big$$$ to fix. Alot of people will pull the tired V8 out and put a fresh 400HP E7 in its place. not my style but for saveings I can understand the reason.

Ok I my Suoerliner is just about ready for the road,1989 E 9 440 hp.I was going to use it for a back up truck,problem is it came out to nice to use once in a while.Truck is real tight,drop the pan on the motor rods and mains look new,I got the truck from the 2nd owner,so I have some of the history,truck never left Texas,shows 490,000 miles,might be,might not,sure looks like it the real milage.I want to run it everday,I run about 7,500 miles a month,run in a 200 mile area of Oklahoma,pull a flatbed,loaded one way,come back empty.How reliable is the E 9?,I want to sell my 2006 Western star,and run the Mack.No problems with the star,just want to drive a real truck again.I haul under contract to one customer,so reliabilty is a real big concern to me.

Up here in Vermont there are a lot of E-9's still on the road. I can at least think of a dozen just in my area. I had mine rebuilt at about 17,000 hours and she's running great. I don't put a lot of miles on any more(10,000 to 12,000) but some of the other guys run them 6 days a week pulling 110,000lbs loads of logs. Just watch your gauges as I'm sure you do and maybe run lower temp thermostats to help keep her cool. We've got some big hills here and I found that helps a lot, Tim

Anybody who would rather drive a 17 year old Mack over a new Western Star deserves the name Mack Man and is alright in my book. Sounds like you know what a "real truck" truely is. Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Anybody who would rather drive a 17 year old Mack over a new Western Star deserves the name Mack Man and is alright in my book. Sounds like you know what a "real truck" truely is. Bob

Hey Bob, You can say that agian....and I've never had a problem using oil since my e-9 has been rebiult, Tim

As long as you take care of the motor and truck, it will run forever, theres lots of bulldogs out there pushing over 1 million miles that trucks just broke in, it could have 200k on it and be junk cuz the previous guy was a pig, if it was taken care of and you do the same thats all that matters, i know several people that run E9s, we own one

I run my e-9 500+ every day, I rebuilt it 2 years ago (20,000 miles) had the pump turned up, burns no oil, loaded or not. Runs like a v-8, lots of black smoke when hard on the throttle! :SMOKIE-LFT:

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

• 1 month later...

I run my E9 everyday hauling 80k across the mountains of western NC and east TN. I put about 30k a year on her and she's running fine. Just overhauled it last year and it had about 550k miles on it. Before the overhaul she was blowing head gaskets and breaking head bolts but never any bottom end trouble. Since the overhaul she has not missed a lick. The guy who did my pump, injector and turbo says I'm in the 700 hp range with it. All I know is that the boys with those 550 yellow motors can't keep up.

I use my E9-500 about 20000 miles a year and its running fine never any problems i pull local and sometimes 100,000lbs+ and it never burns oil dry or loaded. i will never get rid of my E9 best enigne on the road and all those cats out there are only seeing my bulldog's ass (excuse the language). i just go through some wear and tear thats just normal enigne maintence.

user posted image

• 2 weeks later...

My brother had one he hauled coal with. Never any motor trouble but it eat rears pretty frequently..lol. Usually hauled in the 50-60 ton range with it. Couldnt really expect the 44's to stand up to that beating on both ends.