More Old Trucks I Saw Today

other dog

I went on a secret mission today to look at some old trucks, and saw way more than I was expecting to. Saw all kinds, but i'll post the Mack pictures here in my gallery because there's so many. And an Autocar, Ford, IH, and White. Check it out, they're some really neat, and some rare old units! As usual,I got a duplicate. Lucky there's only one, a storm knocked the power out when I was uploading them and I had to start over.

BTW, never seen this trans. before...

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

TRTX72 or 720.

It was a triplex, but the lo lo was not used in the on road shifting sequence, so on the road you shifted it like a duplex, but yet you had the lo lo for off road if needed.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

TRTX72 or 720.

It was a triplex, but the lo lo was not used in the on road shifting sequence, so on the road you shifted it like a duplex, but yet you had the lo lo for off road if needed.

oh :o So in this particular trans. if you shifted it like A duplex you'd have underdrive and direct, as opposed to the more common direct and overdrive ,eh?

:mack1: Are them all at one spot? Looks like a goldmine to me ! Terry

yep, most are in the same place, but I did add a few more just from pictures I had saved. The 860 GMC was taken the same day, but not at the same place.The owner of them has a trucking co. too, and he's the regional Vice President for Va. and W.V. of the ATHS.

oh :o So in this particular trans. if you shifted it like A duplex you'd have underdrive and direct, as opposed to the more common direct and overdrive ,eh?

Yeah, it says "overgear" on the shift diagram, so it would have overdrive in 5th, then the 2 splitter gears would be under and direct.

Now that I think about it, overdrive in 5th would make it a TRTX720.

Single overdrive trans instead of "double over" in 5th, the "X" means it has a lo lo gear.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how many of these new school steering wheel holders can drive a twin stick? I know I would LOVE to drive one as long no one records it and puts it on youtube. :lol: It looks complicated but it can't be that hard! Just shift the 1st 5 and then put both sticks in neutral shift the auxiliary into direct and then the main stick back into 1st and do it all over again right?

I wonder how many of these new school steering wheel holders can drive a twin stick? I know I would LOVE to drive one as long no one records it and puts it on youtube. :lol: It looks complicated but it can't be that hard! Just shift the 1st 5 and then put both sticks in neutral shift the auxiliary into direct and then the main stick back into 1st and do it all over again right?

No, Larry, you use the compound to split each of the 5 main gears.

For example:

Start off in 1st lo split, then shift compound to direct, then shift compound to hi split, then upshift main to 2nd, downshift compound to lo split, then direct, then hi split, upshift main to 3rd, downshift compound to lo split.....and so on, all the way to 5th hi split, with the exception that if it's a double overdrive quad box or triplex, then once you're in 4th hi split, you just shift into 5th hi split.

No, Larry, you use the compound to split each of the 5 main gears.

For example:

Start off in 1st lo split, then shift compound to direct, then shift compound to hi split, then upshift main to 2nd, downshift compound to lo split, then direct, then hi split, upshift main to 3rd, downshift compound to lo split.....and so on, all the way to 5th hi split, with the exception that if it's a double overdrive quad box or triplex, then once you're in 4th hi split, you just shift into 5th hi split.

Huh????? I'm totally lost! :blink::wacko: It's better if I was shown in person, then I can get the concept of it! B)

I was gonna post a link to mine, but I can't hold a candle to "Twin Stick Pappy". He's the best i've seen, since Freighttrain's video. They're way better than me because they get more practice...

OK, here's mine anyway

Huh????? I'm totally lost! :blink::wacko: It's better if I was shown in person, then I can get the concept of it! B)

OK, you're starting off- 1st. in main, lo split in compound-shift compound to direct, then to hi split. Next shift main to second, then compound back to lo split ( we're talking Mack here, triplex or quadruplex,otherwise think of it as under-direct-over ), direct, hi split. Next shift is main to 3rd, then compound back to lo split, then direct, then hi split, then main to 4th, compound to lo-split, direct, hi-split, then main to 5th. Like Herb said... Now you're in the "big hole". Carry all your 170 horsepowers on down the road...

OK, you're starting off- 1st. in main, lo split in compound-shift compound to direct, then to hi split. Next shift main to second, then compound back to lo split ( we're talking Mack here, triplex or quadruplex,otherwise think of it as under-direct-over ), direct, hi split. Next shift is main to 3rd, then compound back to lo split, then direct, then hi split, then main to 4th, compound to lo-split, direct, hi-split, then main to 5th. Like Herb said... Now you're in the "big hole". Carry all your 170 horsepowers on down the road...

Thank you, I finally figured it out I think. :P

Carry all your 170 horsepowers on down the road...

Man, that's a lot. It leaves five whole horsepower, (before parasitic losses) to accelerate my bloated carcass down the road.

I got to get me one of those things.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.