Antique Truck Inspections - Any Problems?

A bit of background........Up in Massachusetts, the Registry of Motor Vehicles has installed a new 'vehicle' inspection program, as of 2009. I believe newer vehicles that have on board dignostics (OBD) are the only ones that go thru the emmission tests. My 1985, 1983, and 1945 only have a safety check.

We have encountered problems when having antique trucks inspected, those having antique plates or year of manufacture plates. My truck weighs in at 16,000 pounds, gvw. The registry says that we will have to go to an inspection site that inspects 'commercial' trucks and have a 'commercial inspection done'. This inspection is done on the basis of Federal regulations. The 'Registry' advise us that the rear wheels will need to be removed so that the brake linings can be measured, at additional cost, upwards of $100 plus the cost of the sticker.

Our antique trucks are issued 'antique' plates, and designated PASsenger by the Registry on the registration slip.

Where can I find the 'Federal' rules for inspecting trucks (DOT inspections), including the definition of what is covered under the heading of "Commercial Vehicle"?

I think it is going to be an 'uphill' discussion. I get the feeling that the 'Registry' thinks that antique plated vehicles only weigh under 10,000 pounds, according to the new regulations. Come to think of it, the new regs don't even mention the term 'antique'.

Factory Five Racing, one of the industry's finest kit car manufacturers' can no longer sell their cars in Massachusetts, although they are based in Wareham, Ma. unless the engine and driveline for the car is from a registered "donor car".

If you buy a new crate engine or transmission, you need to find a new state for registry.

Seems you need to vote for a Republican state government and kick out the liberals and free-spending Democrats who seem to think they know way more than you and feel the need to tell you so!

It's really gotten way out of hand, and it's time for every one of us, as Americans, to stand up and take our country back.

Enough of the "Law of the Week" mentality.

Paul Van Scott - and Proud to be American!

And Mass. is sooooo strapped for money to pay for the programs they have now, if they let things alone, they'd be making money. But, nooooo.

Now, a proposed 6.25 per cent sales tax (up from 5%). Or a 19.5 cent increase in fuel tax. They just added a $1.00 more tax on tobacco products on top of what they had before. Tax candy and soda? Boston Globe (if it survives) will be going up to over $4 for the Sunday paper (now $2.50). Same with the Boston Herald. Getting to the point where we may have to take the antique car and the 2 antique trucks and the family car off the road and walk or ride the bike to shop, just to balance the books. Loss to the state of gas tax revenue, inspection fees, and excise taxes. It will add up if enough do it.

Suppose they'll find a way to tax the old bikes and 'shoe leather', now.

But, alas, we need to have a registered vehicle (with sticker) so we can get rid of our trash at the recycle center. Can't bring it there on the bike. Can't walk in with it, either. Have to have a sticker to get in, and stickers go with registered vehicles.

Another well thought out program, Ollie.

Factory Five Racing, one of the industry's finest kit car manufacturers' can no longer sell their cars in Massachusetts, although they are based in Wareham, Ma. unless the engine and driveline for the car is from a registered "donor car".

If you buy a new crate engine or transmission, you need to find a new state for registry.

Seems you need to vote for a Republican state government and kick out the liberals and free-spending Democrats who seem to think they know way more than you and feel the need to tell you so!

It's really gotten way out of hand, and it's time for every one of us, as Americans, to stand up and take our country back.

Enough of the "Law of the Week" mentality.

Paul Van Scott - and Proud to be American!

Well said... :)

Engine2, I sympathize with you. Personally, I would not go directly to the federal regulations. I would first get very familiar with the wording of the law to be sure that there was no provision made to allow for "special vehicles" . If no such provision was found, I would go to whatever lengths necessary to prove that my antique truck was not a commercial vehicle. The simple answer to one question should ( HA HA ) prove your point.... Is the vehicle used in any way to conduct commerce ? Another question would be... Is the vehicle licensed by gross weight ? if not, then it should not be subject to inspection laws based on its original GVW.

I know that things are never that simple with politicians or bureaucrats, But if you are familiar with your states definitions of " commercial vehicle" and the new law you will probably know more than the person telling you that you need to be treated as a commercial vehicle.

If you have the will to battle , you will have a lot of learning to do, and the outcome is not guaranteed, But personally, I would raise hell and make myself well known before I'd pay someone $100 plus to inspect my antiques.

Yes it takes a lot of work, but if we are ever going to slow the pace of people trying to cram nonsense down our throats, we will have to work long and hard. While we are busy living our lives, there are people working around the clock deciding what they think is best for us and they seem to be making "progress "at an alarming rate.

Good Luck,

Steve

At a local truck show, today, I was talking to a State Police person. He confirmed the brake shoe 'pad' measurement requirement, but it was s imple job. A couple of minutes at the most. Just measure the shoe in the rear brake inspection port.

But, what if you don't have an 'inspection port'?

Do ALL trucks have rear brake inspection ports? We're talking 1945, non-air brake vintage, now.

Any incite?

At a local truck show, today, I was talking to a State Police person. He confirmed the brake shoe 'pad' measurement requirement, but it was s imple job. A couple of minutes at the most. Just measure the shoe in the rear brake inspection port.

But, what if you don't have an 'inspection port'?

Do ALL trucks have rear brake inspection ports? We're talking 1945, non-air brake vintage, now.

Any incite?

All it amounts to is a hole at the bottom of the backing plate, on the same plane of the brake drum. If it dos not have one, make one. Drill a 5/16 hole in the backing plate and elongate it vertically until you can see the edge of the drum and the full thickness of the brake shoe.

Easier said than done, the 5/16 elongated hole. It has to be in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, to hit both pads. Which is directly behind the leaf spring and hanger assembly. At the top or bottom, you're going into thin air, nothing there. If you miss the front part of the pad, you'll drill thru the brake pad/shoe itself, or be behind the pad/shoe, or way in front of it.

As far as I can see, this measurement if paut of the Federal DOT inspection process for Commercail vehicles. Being registered as an Antique, plated as Antique with PASenger type plates, classified as non-commercial by the state, and require no CDL as such to operate, are not required to have a Federal DOT inspection nor have a daily log book or inspection tickets. Supposedly, they can drive right by state run weigh stations.

That 'hole' idea sounds easy enough, though, if we have to. Might give us some 'hands on' training on the new plasma cutter that we have down at the shop. Been wanting to try it out on something useful.

Thanks for the idea, Bollweevil.

Yet another reason I personally hate Massachusetts (I've gone to school there for 3 years so far). Good luck to you.

On the politics note, check out Article 10 of the NH State Constitution- some of you might like it.

Check article 4 section 4 of the US Constitution.

I have battled several times with the local "govement" both over vehicles and land usage.

I was given some very speical advise when going up against the "govement"........"The one with the most information....WINS!"

Research.....Research......Research!

Know the law. Resarch the orignins of the law and try to find out any rulings of the old or superceded law. Look to the definition of "Antique" or "Special Intrest" or what ever the designation of your vehicle is refered to. If the definition does not appear in the law then the law does not apply to your vehicle. That's how I beat the local "Govement" with zoning reg's ( they told me my truck was "Too big and Too ugly for the neighborhood. I told them: "It may be too big and it may be to Ugly but it's too bad!) (Oh, I won because it had antique plates the zoning spoke only about "commercial vehicles)

And last but not least. DO NOT STOP AT THE FIRST PERSON. Ask for the supervisor and keep going up the chain. You will find some one with common sense. (belive it or not)

I have worked for a municipality for the last 38 years. I am firmly convenced that only 20 to 25 % of all Local, State and Federal employees know and do thier jobs. The other 75-80% is "Govements" answer to welfare reform.

Please do not let the State of Mass. tell you your antique vehicle is required to met Federal regs. If it starts there it will spread throughtout the country. Your best resources are the paper work the state has already given you. The registration (passenger designation) Your insurance papers (non commercial)

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CHALLANGE THEM. THEY ARE NOT THE FINAL SAY. Join your local club and start a pertition.

I belive that they are looking everywhere for a new and different revenue stream to help shore up their bloated budgets. This might, in thier eyes, be a new gold mine.

The last time the "Govement" did something stupid was a 10% luxury tax on yachts. That tax forced more the 10 businesses to close and put out of work of 1500 people here in the US. The rich bought their boats over seas.

Allways remeber what Ronald Regan said: "The nine most terrifying words in the English languane are ""Hello, I'm from the Government, I'm here to help.""

Jim

Edited by blueknight0517@yahoo.com

Rustednut

• 3 months later...

Went to get the 1945 Mack inspected, yesterday. It's abit overdue, but couldn't drive for a couple of weeks (doctor's orders), so I snuck it out.

Inspector did a fairly good job, aka he culd have been talked into most anything with the temperature hovering around 95 degrees in the shade. Couldn't find the ONE brake light, looked for the directionals, couldn't find the horn, looked for the windshield wiper on/off switch, seatbelts, etc. First ANTIQUE truck he'd done, I think.

Everything went nicely until the Mass. RMV computer said ... "Must perform Commercial Inspection". The inspector scratched his head, read the instruction booklet, conferenced with another inspector at the station, then made a phone call.

Seems as though, a truck with a gvw in excess of 10,000 poinds, if either privately or commercially owned, no matter what kind of registration plates it has, has to have a commercial inspection if done in Mass. One exception would be if I had a pickup bed on my chassis, then a regular automobile inspection would be done. BUt a pickup bed a fire truck it would not make.

The commercial inspectin is quite extensive, costs more to do, and contains many things antiques don't have. And, your choice is either Pass or Notpass. So, if your antique doesn't have seatbelts, answering No.. will fail you. If you select Pass, then the test is lie. N/A is not an option.

So, the Mack was returned back to the barn and the barn door was padlocked. The outdated sticker still on the windshield. Presently, there are no plans on getting an updated sticker in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Your state is not the only one with these issues. Drove my 56 Mack with historical plates cross country a few year ago. I did not try to bypass the commercial scales, just drove thru them. Weight was not an issue, so I was usually ok. A few states stopped me and said I need commercial diesel use permits to drive on their highways. I tried the I am not a commercail vehicle routine, and they use similar weight restrictions. Anything over XXX pounds was a commercial vehicle in their opinion, weather wearing hisstorical plates or not. While I disagreed with them, it was easier to pay the permit than argue. New Mexico and Colorado were the two that come to my mind right now.