Damn Near Had A Catastrophy This Evening:

Ok Gents, here is the balance with the roof skin completely removed. As you can see there was rust in between the sandwich of metal consisting of the roof skin, and the interior structure. This is why I went the trouble to remove the balance of the skin that could be buried under the new panel. If the rust is not removed at this point, the repair will be short lived.

I've not ground anything yet as I wanted you to see the amount of spot welding that holds just the roof skin to the cab. These spot welds are placed about every 1/2 inch apart consistently around the perimeter. The balance of the cab structure is put together much the same way. I have spent about an hour and a half just drilling welds. I've probably expended about 45 minutes center punching each weld to ensure the cutter doesn't walk. What is amazing about these rotary cutters is that I did not go through the bottom of the sandwich once in all that drilling.

When I put this back together, I will dump the gutter full of self leveling seam sealer inside, and outside. It will be effectively water tight in these areas. Theoretically, it should never rust again. They don't do this at assembly due to cost. I will have over $100.00 in sealer alone.

Had to knock off early tonight. All that climbing on the ladder, and standing on the underhood crossbars for support, coupled with Mommas' demade to be on top last night has worn my back out and it needs a rest.

Think I'm gonna sit on my ass in front of this computer to ensure nobody compromises my honor this evening; Especially Other Dog.

Rob

post-78-1239322188_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239331050_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239331065_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239331080_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239331099_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Damn Rob you don't waste anytime. When I say I'm gonna do something it can be a month before it actually happens. I've seen alot of these trucks rust on the roof like that. What's the cause?

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I had to turn my computer over on it's side to see some of the pictures to get a full understanding of the situation.

And you can sleep soundly tonight, and not worry about anyone compromising your honor ;)

I feel much better now and am ready to commence counting sheep.

Thank you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Damn Rob you don't waste anytime. When I say I'm gonna do something it can be a month before it actually happens. I've seen alot of these trucks rust on the roof like that. What's the cause?

Condensation more than anything Joe. The cab structure is/was bare carbon steel until the 1985? model year when "Galvaneal" was started to be used for slowing this degradation down. The when the roof skin is cold it draws moisture. This moisture is trapped between the layers of steel that form the rain gutter, roof skin, and cab structure. Any corrosion prevention that is placed onto the bare steel sheeting is burned away during the manufacturing process, (spot welding). Unfortunately, nothing is effectively placed correctly to aleviate the slow decay that starts immediately after being exposed to the elements. If the area is not warm to drive the moisture out, then sealed with a weatherproof sealant or encapsulant it will draw fresh moisture from the air that condenses on the steel.

When these trucks were fairly new and not rusted, I could skin the roof in about 4.5 hours, and not have to paint below the gutter. When you have to go after the rust, it will take three times that to make an effective repair, and most of the cab will have to be painted.

Sorry that I forgot to orient the photos before posting them. Could make anyone that drives a Pete too dizzy to drive with all that head bobbing.

I used to know how to do this kind of shit and it comes back to me ever now and then.

Rob

Man......I had to get on top of the computer table and then bend over the top looking down to see what it was. At first I thought Rob was repairing the Outhouse or something.......yea and now my back and neck is killin me to. And i'm gettin hornie thinkin about bacon. I guess i'll never think badly about how much cholesterol is in bacon, never again. Was that LEAN CUISINE BACON?

mike :blink::wub:

Man......I had to get on top of the computer table and then bend over the top looking down to see what it was. At first I thought Rob was repairing the Outhouse or something.......yea and now my back and neck is killin me to. And i'm gettin hornie thinkin about bacon. I guess i'll never think badly about how much cholesterol is in bacon, never again. Was that LEAN CUISINE BACON?

mike :blink::wub:

cholestowhat????? Bacon is so good, it's practically a health food.

Rob

I use Photobucket, then copy/paste the link to the post. Each to a line:

newbumper3a.jpg

b61a.jpg

Aug28_0002.jpg

If you are bring the pics from your home computer then I can see why it screws it up.

BACON............it's finger lick'n good..........................LOL!!!!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I'm allways listening to the women shopping at the grocery and they talk about too much cholesterol because of the fat content. i not going to worry after seeing this LEAN bacon. I'll probably fix sausage, bacon with eggs and biscuits in the morning with some chow chow. Top it off with glass of tomato juice. For desert i'll have some human ears on a biscuit with grey poupone spred. UMMMMMM......mighty delicious.

mike

I'm allways listening to the women shopping at the grocery and they talk about too much cholesterol because of the fat content. i not going to worry after seeing this LEAN bacon. I'll probably fix sausage, bacon with eggs and biscuits in the morning with some chow chow. Top it off with glass of tomato juice. For desert i'll have some human ears on a biscuit with grey poupone spred. UMMMMMM......mighty delicious.

mike

Daughter just docked two Doberman Pincher pups' ears this morning and saved em for me. I KNOW what is for dinner tomorrow. She disposed of the tails as there is just too little meat to work with.

Beats the shit out of that scab sandwich and nice warm glass of puss I had tonight.

Rob

Yeah Larry, that is exactly what I do. I've tried several times to use photobucket. Sometimes I can get in, sometimes I can't. I've changed passwords, emails, and personal contact information a couple of different times with no joy.

Finally figgered out how to rotate, and save my photos so they'll print correctly.

Rob

:pat: oh boy. Yeah Rob, we'll be over to help you-help you keep an eye on your future son-in-law there. :lol: He'll be wanting to take her to the prom next. :o

Just don't forget the Harley.

Don't want to have to deal with no pissed off Momma.

Rob