Damn Near Had A Catastrophy This Evening:

Here it is a beautiful day in the neighborhood and I'm getting ready to get with the program on an older IH cab and fenders. I decide to put my RL797 outside to have room and upon starting the truck to let the air build, and flipping on the clearance lamps, I am treated to a lightning and smoke show that I would have really rather not attended. The first thing I noticed was that acrid smell of burning wiring and I immediately thought to myself: "I got to get stronger deodorant", then "that really smells worse than my feet", then "Holy Shit there Maynard, this SOB's on fire"!!

I then shut the lights off, then the engine and since this was not a raging inferno just had to investigate further. Well down comes the headliner, sunvisors, and upper console and to my discovery is all kinds of bare wires for powering the rooftop clearance lamps running under, and through a nice sized mouse nest. This god awful smell that permeated the interior of the cab was nothing less than fresh roasted baby rodents from when I flipped the switch putting power to that wire. I immediately thought, "Halleluya!! The Lord come forth and provideth this fine cuisine for our dining pleasure to fill and nourish our bodies........ Shesh, I didn't even have to wait for the coals to get hot. Life is good.

After dinner, (little critters were quite tasty) I went ahead and did a quick survey of the damage which really amounts to very little. All of the wiring has been severly dined upon through the years that this truck sat. I then decided to remove the Kysor roof air unit, and marker lamps. Tomorrow I will remove the air horns and cut the roof skin off of the cab. This is going to take a little rebuilding under the outer skin so don't really know what kind of progress I'll make in the next few days. Got a lot of gutter to make also.

Didn't have good batteries in my camera so didn't get any photos tonight.

Now if I only had some of Other Dogs' cake.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

reminds me of the time I started my 87" suberban. Fired it up and drove out the driveway. turning onto the street I heard a god awful scream. thinking it was a bearing or belt going bad I turned the engine off, opend up the hood and saw a racon wraped in the fan belts. that was a mess. it was dead So I just drove back to the yard to get a pry bar to dislodge the thing. I felt bad but who the hell sleeps on a timing cover?

Wished I hadn't ate the mother. Had the worst case of gas all day. Even ran my cohort off at work.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Couldn't get that last meal through my bowels fast enough but finally managed. Looked up at the ceiling while "doing the deed" and noticed the paint peeling around the exhaust fan......

With only a single job in the shop "for hire", I had to find something else to do so I got started on my Mack.

Here's what I mananged to accomplish tonight:

I think you can see by a couple of photos why Mack cabs are so rigid. There are probably 300, (not kidding) spotwelds around the roof perimeter on these cabs. Each has to be drilled out to remove the roof skin. With this cab being a rust repair candidate, I used an air hammer to speed the removal of the skin. The gutter around the cab rear was virtually non existant so I made a little time there by not trying to save anything. The perforation to the inner structure was not readily observable from the beginning but my past involvement told me otherwise. I've got about 4 hours getting to this point wrapped in it. I've probably done this in excess of 20 times through the years but it is still a learning experience for me. I'll make the rain gutter myself and blast out the rust that can be seen. I will then weld new steel patches over the holes after trimming back to solid substrate.

Want to make the Walcott, IA show this year, and hopefully Macungie, but the long haul might be a stretch.

I even made good progress on the IH tonight.

Rob

post-78-1239244003_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244039_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244073_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244099_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244127_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244151_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244178_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244199_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244239_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244268_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244297_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244319_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244346_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244372_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244401_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244436_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239244458_thumb.jpg

A glasstop like a Ford Sunliner!!!

Rob, when posting pictures, make sure you put each link on a separate line underneath each other. That will make the pics scroll down, instead of across and make it difficult to look at. I know you have problems sometimes with making pictures work right. Just a thought.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rob,

I think you've got a great idea their. I would just add a piece of glass clean-up the area paint and make it a Mack Moon Roof.

mike :D

Sometime down the road I'll come up with a fiberglass removable hardtop for the cabs. Right now I'm kinda wanting to get this one on the road. All the trucks that I have and not a single one I'd feel comfortable jumping in and driving a 1000 miles at the present time.

Rob

Rob,

When Painting a for example "Door Panel" say you have masked off the area that you do not want to paint. The tape always leaves a shoulder as the paint is higher than where it is no paint. My question is, how can ya not have the low place between the tape line and the other color that you might have taped off and covered up. ......Like a two-tone paint job?........Hope I have explained that correctly!.....I never got to ask my brother about that.

Thanks

mike :)

Rob,

When Painting a for example "Door Panel" say you have masked off the area that you do not want to paint. The tape always leaves a shoulder as the paint is higher than where it is no paint. My question is, how can ya not have the low place between the tape line and the other color that you might have taped off and covered up. ......Like a two-tone paint job?........Hope I have explained that correctly!.....I never got to ask my brother about that.

Thanks

If you are applying a second color over an existing color, there is no way to avoid that "tape line". By using a specific tape for that purpose such as 3M "fine line", it can be significantly reduced in thickness for a much softer edge but the thickness difference of the coating is still present.

On a new panel or repaint using base/clear, I typically spray the smaller color first, then mask it, then spray the second larger color. When this second color has set up, I remove the mask and clear the panel complete. This leaves us a color difference line that you cannot detect if dressed down correctly.

Rob

Is the dressing down mean you are problably using a 400 grit sandpaper.......maybe with water?......Have you ever looked close enough to see a color bleed into the other paint from removal of your tape-line?

Thanking You!

mike

I use 1500 dry, followed with 3000 wet. Then compound to shine. You can skip the 3000, just takes a little more effort with the buffer. I like wool pads for most applications with foam being used for finessing. By using the 3000, pads last significantly longer and at near $30.00 apiece, that adds up.

Color bleed? That only happens with the lesser quality tapes, and masking papers. I use only 3M tape, and masking paper. Norton products are less expensive and some of their sandpapers wear as well as 3M, but I buy in case lots so get decent pricing from my supplier(s). This way there is never a problem or warranty issue should a product fail.

There are a hundred ways to do the same job to achieve the same result. Back in the days when lacquer was the prevelant refinish product I used 600 wet to color sand with. When clearcoats began to become mainstream the need to go to a finer paper arose and most of the shops went to 1000-1200 grit wet to color sand by hand with. This operation will make a guy tired at best.

The finer grits are used on a d/a sander with a soft foam interface pad. I don't mean to hawk 3M products but they perform as advertised so I stick with them. The shops really don't make money on the products they use so it is a passthrough expense. I can't justify the time lost due to defective/ineffective merchandise/materials and have found this to be the best practice.

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I have not done any of this work since I finished my 65 Falcon HardTop back in the summer of 1990. I have only painted with solid colors, very little of metalics. When a person does these things for a living it's a little easier to stay on top of the game. Rob, I like to ask these questions that may seem to be simple for some, but may be difficult for others on this site. It gives info to people that have little or no experience. I have always loved to learn and see that others have learned from these experiences. I appreciate the help and I like helping other people meet their goals also.

:mack1:

A glasstop like a Ford Sunliner!!!

Rob, when posting pictures, make sure you put each link on a separate line underneath each other. That will make the pics scroll down, instead of across and make it difficult to look at. I know you have problems sometimes with making pictures work right. Just a thought.

Larry, I have always hit the "browse" and upload buttons. I'll try to post as you suggest just didn't know that worked on this site.

Rob

Larry, I have always hit the "browse" and upload buttons. I'll try to post as you suggest just didn't know that worked on this site.

Rob

This is the mouse nest that started this mess:

post-78-1239307485_thumb.jpg

post-78-1239307511_thumb.jpg

Rob

No, this one doesn't work the same as others to place photos.

Rob

Here it is a beautiful day in the neighborhood and I'm getting ready to get with the program on an older IH cab and fenders. I decide to put my RL797 outside to have room and upon starting the truck to let the air build, and flipping on the clearance lamps, I am treated to a lightning and smoke show that I would have really rather not attended. The first thing I noticed was that acrid smell of burning wiring and I immediately thought to myself: "I got to get stronger deodorant", then "that really smells worse than my feet", then "Holy Shit there Maynard, this SOB's on fire"!!

I then shut the lights off, then the engine and since this was not a raging inferno just had to investigate further. Well down comes the headliner, sunvisors, and upper console and to my discovery is all kinds of bare wires for powering the rooftop clearance lamps running under, and through a nice sized mouse nest. This god awful smell that permeated the interior of the cab was nothing less than fresh roasted baby rodents from when I flipped the switch putting power to that wire. I immediately thought, "Halleluya!! The Lord come forth and provideth this fine cuisine for our dining pleasure to fill and nourish our bodies........ Shesh, I didn't even have to wait for the coals to get hot. Life is good.

After dinner, (little critters were quite tasty) I went ahead and did a quick survey of the damage which really amounts to very little. All of the wiring has been severly dined upon through the years that this truck sat. I then decided to remove the Kysor roof air unit, and marker lamps. Tomorrow I will remove the air horns and cut the roof skin off of the cab. This is going to take a little rebuilding under the outer skin so don't really know what kind of progress I'll make in the next few days. Got a lot of gutter to make also.

Didn't have good batteries in my camera so didn't get any photos tonight.

Now if I only had some of Other Dogs' cake.

Rob

could've been worse-at least you didn't run out of fuel!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Sure looks like MIGHTY MOUSE has been there. Rob, Why is the hood back off the girl that I would like to meet Mustang? I guess Tom, Larry and myself will have to show up and help out in the shop.

mike

:pat: oh boy. Yeah Rob, we'll be over to help you-help you keep an eye on your future son-in-law there. :lol: He'll be wanting to take her to the prom next. :o

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Sure looks like MIGHTY MOUSE has been there. Rob, Why is the hood back off the girl that I would like to meet Mustang? I guess Tom, Larry and myself will have to show up and help out in the shop.

mike

That is the old hood that is busted up internally. That is why I did not repair it.

Rob

here's some pics to help ease your pain

I'll have to ask Momma how many pairs of those Bacon shorts sewn together would fit her?

Rob