Pyrometer

Show Dog

I just recently put a 10 speed overdrive in my superliner. It has a squeezed down 300hp 4valve E6. When i am in overdrive, pulling somewhere around 1400 rpms at 55-60mph empty, my "new" pyro tells me that it is 900 degrees. It does have a clean airfilter. This is the first truck i've driven with an overdrive. If I got the thing turned up a little with bigger injectors and a new pump/ turbo, which I am planning on doing in the near future any way, will i still pull that much heat? Does more power mean less heat?

no problem at 900, bigger turbo means more air to cool your engine during overlap of valve, but it mean more eat when you add bigger injector with it. keep an eye on your pyro, if it goes to high downshift or try with higher RPM! any way i think you're the only one to haul with this Mack...

Try running a 160 thermostat, I run 160's in the V-8 and it dosn't get over 185 now,Tim

Try running a 160 thermostat, I run 160's in the V-8 and it dosn't get over 185 now,Tim

The temp of the engine stays well below 150, that's not a problem. I'm just talking about the pyro. I like to see the pyro no higher than 700. So your saying that when I add the bigger stuff to the engine, I will pull more heat?

And thanks for the comment thermodynediesel

My '87 Superliner has a E6-350 that's turned up to the point where it will bite the ass out of most 425 Cats and E7-427's,but you have to really watch the pyrometer.Most of the time it will run 950 to 1000 when loaded,and will creep up to 1100 in a hard pull.I've never had a bit of trouble with it,but I wouldn't ever let anyone else drive it either.

900 deg is 100% fine. where is the EGT probe. most are after the turbo where temps are a little lower than what the cyl temps are at.. make shure the "new" pyro guage is calabrated to the specific placement of the probe. I start to worry around 1100-1150 and dont let it stay at 1200 for very long.

At WOT the lower the rpms the higher the EGT temps will get. down shift or lift up a little. more fuel will make EGT temps rise if the turbo can not put out the needed air to keep things in check.. more air alows the extra fuel to be burned off. you can get more power with added fuel but you will reach a point that the excess fuel will just cause high EGTs.

I see 1000 deg temps with my truck and it gets a little higher if the boost starts to fall off lugging it with a good load holding me back.

Keeping the RPM's and the boost pressure up are the best way to keep exhaust temps down. Lugging doesn't move enough air to keep things cool. Like Trent said most pyro probes are in the pipe after the turbo. Add about 200 degrees to the gauge reading to get close to the true temp going into the turbo. I wouldn't go much over 1200 degrees gauge for a long period. :SMOKIE-LFT:

My pyrometer probe is after the turbo. Ok, thanks guys. But one more question. Do cat, cummins, and detroit have the same issue with the pyro heating up. I only hear guys with macks talk about it?

I have driven a V8 Detroit in a prevost bus and the twin pyros said the EGTs heated up real quick to 1150 and held it there

My companys 550 cat will climb to 900 and hold for a long time before it gets to 1100. I havent found a hill east of Airizona that I have to worry about EGT,oil,trans etc.. temps

If im out in CA on a hot day pulling hills on I-5 I have had to pulll over and let my EGT, trans, engine oil and water temps cool. guages can save you from a real bad day!!! All the diffrent engines work the same (basicly) but they will all have a diffrent over heating points of the componets.

maxidynes flow alot of fuel at low rpms, when that turbo boost falls off. things will get hot [quickattachmentid=655]

Ok, now I understand. Like I said before, I have never driven a truck with an overdrive. It didn't seem like it was lugging. I was trying to burn less fuel, eventhough it already is a fuel squeezer, lol. I thought I could cruise down the road at 1400rpm vs the 1900 that i was doing with the old trans. I guess I won't be using the overdrive much. Thanks for the clarification guys :thumb: .