What Are Those For: Looks Or Practical

What are those snorkels you see on air cleaners for, are they for looks or do they actually have a real purpose.

I am trying to cut the noise level down inside my R-model and was wondering where I could get some sort of sound/heat deadening material.

What are those snorkels you see on air cleaners for, are they for looks or do they actually have a real purpose.

I am trying to cut the noise level down inside my R-model and was wondering where I could get some sort of sound/heat deadening material.

The snorkel is used to keep the air intake higher off the ground where dust and dirt get kicked up. They are installed on allot of trucks in Australia because the dry dusty dirt roads of the outback will make short work of an airfilter. Some people might install em for looks too.

As for the sound deadening try these two sites:

http://www.soundown.com/AI.htm

http://www.b-quiet.com

Dale has a B-67 with sound down and he says its very quiet in the cab.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

kINDA LIKE A POOR MANS WATER INJECTION :P

I can see how a mist of water is safe and actuly good for the engine but you know there is going to be a day you drive through that huge puddle and a massive amout of water could get sucked into the tube? that can cause an expinceve repair if it gets to the engine.

Greg check out Glacierbay.com for sound deadening material. It looks better than anything I have seen, but the price is way up there. They even have an on site demo with sound they say there's is better than soundown and west marine. It depends on how much ya wanna pay for a quiet ride!

I think ALOT of water would have to be sucked thru to get thru the entire filter element and create any kind of trouble....or help.

I think the moisture would drip thru the element, then drop out the weep hole in bottom of housing. If I remember right, most of the newer trucks have a rubber one way that allows water out, and keeps from sucking air in.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I think ALOT of water would have to be sucked thru to get thru the entire filter element and create any kind of trouble....or help.

I think the moisture would drip thru the element, then drop out the weep hole in bottom of housing. If I remember right, most of the newer trucks have a rubber one way that allows water out, and keeps from sucking air in.

The snorkel on the Macks are about 10 feet off the ground.

Here is a Titan diagram:

-Thad

The snorkel on the Macks are about 10 feet off the ground.

Here is a Titan diagram:

Thad, nice daigram....you always come up with some neat stuff. I should put a couple snorkels on the super dog...I must clean the filter twice a week in the summer or replace it once a month. The pits around here get pretty dusty and the under the hood filter I believe isn't as good as two out side filters,Tim

Two outside filters are definately better than one under the hood. The intake air will be cooler. Just like when it rains, the air is more dense meaning more air into the cylinder. Besides even with a snorkel you'll never take in enough water to damage the engine. The best thing is to use a filter restriction gauge. Then you'll know when it's time to change the filters. I don't recomend cleaning them.

Thad, nice daigram....you always come up with some neat stuff. I should put a couple snorkels on the super dog...I must clean the filter twice a week in the summer or replace it once a month. The pits around here get pretty dusty and the under the hood filter I believe isn't as good as two out side filters,Tim

:D I am always looking up stuff online! Knowledge is power!

-Thad

:D I am always looking up stuff online! Knowledge is power!

Hey Thad it sounds like we need to find you a woman, (one that likes trucks), Tim

Two outside filters are definately better than one under the hood. The intake air will be cooler. Just like when it rains, the air is more dense meaning more air into the cylinder. Besides even with a snorkel you'll never take in enough water to damage the engine. The best thing is to use a filter restriction gauge. Then you'll know when it's time to change the filters. I don't recomend cleaning them.

I didn't realize that the air was denser in the rain. So it's not a good thing to bang out a dirty filter? I guess I'll put in a guage and go from there. I've got to price out an out side set up before spring (she's still parked in the shed), Tim

This may seem to be a somewhat "ignorant" question but I would like to know why the OEM's and aftermarket do not use oil bath air cleaners any longer. They only worked well for something like 80 years or so. Are replaceable paper elements that much better? A quart of engine oil is still much less expensive to replace than the filter elements of now a days. I am discounting the cost of labor at a truck repair facility of course.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I would bet the air flow thru an oil bath is not enough to produce the power in the bigger engines. Now that the engines are 900 ci, not 600 the amount of air needed, plus a turbo is probably way beyond the capabilities of an oil bath. It would proabably suck the oil right out of the pan!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"