So Much Fun, I Had To Do It Twice!

Rob

I get off of work with the first 8 hour workday that I've had in nearly a year and it is fairly nice outside. Arriving at the shop, I decide it is a good day to have the overhead doors open and start to do a little cleaning. Recollecting that the R700's haven't been run in a couple of weeks, they both willingly start with a flip of the keyswitches smoking up the building like posted before.

After pulling one truck outside, (R-795), I decide to let it idle and charge the batteries. I then went back into the building, climbed into the RL-797L, and backed it outside parking right next to the prior moved truck and letting it idle also for the same purpose. Walking back into the shop, I then climbing into my A-40, pull out the choke, give her a crank and within 5 seconds a smooth idle is attained. After letting the air build to release the brakes, I then pull this truck outside parking next to the other two. Ahh, life is good in Mack Paradise I feel.

After walking back into the shop, I grab me a shop broom and proceed to sweep the center 18X100ft isle that is the center of the building. A customer comes by to discuss moving some equipment from his "old" Ford truck to it's replacement and we gab for about 15 minutes or so discussing world affairs and such. After he departs, I finish up my sweeping job just as it is starting to get dark outside. I then cleaned up the piles, put the broom back into the storage closet and proceed to walk out to bring the trucks back in.

Low an behold, the RL has run out of fuel and died while idling!! Damn!! is the first thing I think cause I know first off how hard that truck is to get restarted as it has no hand primer pump on the fuel system. Naturally a fresh five gallons into the tank and it still won't start. Well back into the shop to grab the booster/charger, and 100' extension cord for power. Off with the fuel filters, (in the dark), back to the shop to fill them, back across the yard to reinstall, then the engine finally lights off!! Well, I'm just about dissapointed in myself for letting this happen in the first place and the truck has not left the property except for just a couple of miles since dumping 35 gallons in the tank. It has done a LOT of idling though.

I get this truck back into it rightful parking spot in the shop, walk out and what do I discover???? The damned R-795 has done the same thing!!! Geez, now I'm borderline pissed off at myself cause I get to do the whole rigmarole again; And that is exactly what I did too!! The gasser A-40 started right up, and proceeded without delay. That really is nothing out of the ordinary though.

An hour and almost a half to get three trucks running and parked. What a joy. Glad it's not always like this.

Think I'll take a couple of aspirin and get to bed dreaming of a better day tomorrow.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I get off of work with the first 8 hour workday that I've had in nearly a year and it is fairly nice outside. Arriving at the shop, I decide it is a good day to have the overhead doors open and start to do a little cleaning. Recollecting that the R700's haven't been run in a couple of weeks, they both willingly start with a flip of the keyswitches smoking up the building like posted before.

After pulling one truck outside, (R-795), I decide to let it idle and charge the batteries. I then went back into the building, climbed into the RL-797L, and backed it outside parking right next to the prior moved truck and letting it idle also for the same purpose. Walking back into the shop, I then climbing into my A-40, pull out the choke, give her a crank and within 5 seconds a smooth idle is attained. After letting the air build to release the brakes, I then pull this truck outside parking next to the other two. Ahh, life is good in Mack Paradise I feel.

After walking back into the shop, I grab me a shop broom and proceed to sweep the center 18X100ft isle that is the center of the building. A customer comes by to discuss moving some equipment from his "old" Ford truck to it's replacement and we gab for about 15 minutes or so discussing world affairs and such. After he departs, I finish up my sweeping job just as it is starting to get dark outside. I then cleaned up the piles, put the broom back into the storage closet and proceed to walk out to bring the trucks back in.

Low an behold, the RL has run out of fuel and died while idling!! Damn!! is the first thing I think cause I know first off how hard that truck is to get restarted as it has no hand primer pump on the fuel system. Naturally a fresh five gallons into the tank and it still won't start. Well back into the shop to grab the booster/charger, and 100' extension cord for power. Off with the fuel filters, (in the dark), back to the shop to fill them, back across the yard to reinstall, then the engine finally lights off!! Well, I'm just about dissapointed in myself for letting this happen in the first place and the truck has not left the property except for just a couple of miles since dumping 35 gallons in the tank. It has done a LOT of idling though.

I get this truck back into it rightful parking spot in the shop, walk out and what do I discover???? The damned R-795 has done the same thing!!! Geez, now I'm borderline pissed off at myself cause I get to do the whole rigmarole again; And that is exactly what I did too!! The gasser A-40 started right up, and proceeded without delay. That really is nothing out of the ordinary though.

An hour and almost a half to get three trucks running and parked. What a joy. Glad it's not always like this.

Think I'll take a couple of aspirin and get to bed dreaming of a better day tomorrow.

Rob

ROB don't feel so bad I did the same thing early last year after I forgot to turn the valve for the cross over line back on. I have an 01 vision and though it has a primer hand pump I neglected to put the filter wrench back in the truck. Oh and I forgot to mention I was on the side of I-285 near the airport in Atlanta Ga. when all this happens. Talking about fun thank god for the new batteries.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

A good story.

Does Momma have any broken yard sticks around?

You need to put a half of one in each truck so you can check your fuel tanks as you light them off.

I have one for my old '63 B and a real fancy one for the Model T that has the gallons marked on it.

What does the aspirin do?

David

A good story.

Does Momma have any broken yard sticks around?

You need to put a half of one in each truck so you can check your fuel tanks as you light them off.

I have one for my old '63 B and a real fancy one for the Model T that has the gallons marked on it.

What does the aspirin do?

The aspirin kills the headache this kind of shit gives me. I feel like an idiot. This is the kind of stuff I don't let my kids live down.......

Momma's been to the bank for free yardsticks so many times I'm sure there are some around here someplace.

She routinely breaks them upside my skull when I smart off, (so she says).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, I don't quite understand. Why didn't you just let the trucks run out of fuel inside the garage? That would have saved you a lot of walking back and forth, not to mention wear & tear on the extension cord.

You know, I never really thought about that and you are absolutely correct.

I will take your suggestion under advisement for implementation during the next "need to run out of fuel cycle".

Don't know what I'd do without the helpful suggestions from the board.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

I chair fly alot during the off season to keep up my flying skills, check lists etc. You can do that next time with your trucks. Just pretend you are starting them, pulling them out of the garage, shifting gears etc. etc. Always use your check list and you can't go wrong. And you will never ever again run out of fuel.......And it's ok if you want to add sound........LOL

mike

And it's ok if you want to add sound........LOL

mike

......and remember when it's cold out.................you can ADD SMOKE too......... :P

Back a few years, I took the B to the a big car show at the lake. I parked it on a slight hill all day. It started, then promptly quit just as I got the brakes released and rolled back to even kilter. Seems all the fuel ran to the pass. tank :angry: . It took about a 1/2 hr for it to slowlyyyyy drain back over to the drivers tank so I could pump the primer and get it running again :rolleyes: .

Note to self.........don't park on side of hills(and not shut off transfer line valve).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"