237 Engine Throttle Very Touchy

r600

hi,drove my truck for the first time the other day its r600 237-15 speed road ranger on34-ratio4.64.gets along great after the chassis extension and tailshaft mods not a vibration its great,but when i take off or on coast and try to throttle on a little well dont know how to explain it starts to hop and load the drive line up.carnt tell if its a throttle problem or gear ratio problem.i more to think it a pump problem even when you try to rev up from idle its hard to get it to stay a certain revs or is this what 237 is like.?????help,thanks adrian :(:(

A good fast check to see if it is in the govenor is take stop cable off of stop laver and when you are standing there playing with the throdle say mid rpm and it is acting up then turn the stop lever to no fuel postion enough to start to cut the rpm back and if it is stabe and smooth then you have governor problems.

glenn akers

A good fast check to see if it is in the govenor is take stop cable off of stop laver and when you are standing there playing with the throdle say mid rpm and it is acting up then turn the stop lever to no fuel postion enough to start to cut the rpm back and if it is stabe and smooth then you have governor problems.

Also check the throtle lever to see if the springs on it are tight if the springs are lose the throtle will jump about and so will the rpms in light to mid throtle.To check hold the throtle at half by hand and grab on to the shaft portion where it clamps on and try to move the shaft part if it moves and you were holding the rod steady the lever needs replacing.

Sounds like everything is loose and worn out in the governor. You probably should have the injection pump rebuilt before something comes apart in the governor and the engine goes out of control.

Sounds like the pins and bushings are worn out in the governor as you state Herb. I've had a couple of inlines, and one V8 idle erratic, and respond abnormal to throttle input due to worn parts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

the throttle response on them is very sensitive too, at least on the 237s and 300 I drove.
Then with bad engine or cab mounts it can be worse. I have been know to get away from the throdle rod linage and go with a small push pull cable and it makes so much difference.The american bosch governor has a slip clutch that some times is too tight and will make them toughey.

glenn akers

Then with bad engine or cab mounts it can be worse. I have been know to get away from the throdle rod linage and go with a small push pull cable and it makes so much difference.The american bosch governor has a slip clutch that some times is too tight and will make them toughey.

thanks gentleman ,will check it as soon as i get the truck homeand let yoou know what i find,cheers adrian

I've seen a lot of good advice here, but having encountered this problem lots of times, your problem as stated above is most likely the spring in your throttle arm. This is very common and easy to fix. Just grasp the throttle arm and see how far forward it moves before the throttle shaft starts to turn. If your spring is weak you'll have slack in the mechanism of the throttle arm. If so, then just replace the throttle arm.

This is a very cheap, inexpensive plain and simple fix that I've told dozens of people through the years. I've seen people spend thousands of dollars trying to fix this problem, when it was just this simple.

I've seen a lot of good advice here, but having encountered this problem lots of times, your problem as stated above is most likely the spring in your throttle arm. This is very common and easy to fix. Just grasp the throttle arm and see how far forward it moves before the throttle shaft starts to turn. If your spring is weak you'll have slack in the mechanism of the throttle arm. If so, then just replace the throttle arm.

This is a very cheap, inexpensive plain and simple fix that I've told dozens of people through the years. I've seen people spend thousands of dollars trying to fix this problem, when it was just this simple.

DROVE THE TRUCK HOME TONIGHT THAT THROTTLE IS A F#@k OF A THING!NOT BAD ON A GOOD ROAD BUT ON DIRT ITS A SHIT.DID CHECK THE THROTTLE LEVER SPRING, IF I HOLD THE BOTTOM PART OF THE LEVER THAT BOLTS TO THE SHAFT INTO THE PUMP AND MOVE THE TOP HALF OF THE LEVER IT MOVES HEAPS BEFORE IT TAKES UP.??IS IT GOOD OR BAD??WHY HAVE THE LEVER SETUP LIKE THAT???????????????(PS DID I SAY IT DRIVES GOOD A PART FROM THAT THROTTLE) CHEERS AND HELP ADRIAN :(

DROVE THE TRUCK HOME TONIGHT THAT THROTTLE IS A F#@k OF A THING!NOT BAD ON A GOOD ROAD BUT ON DIRT ITS A SHIT.DID CHECK THE THROTTLE LEVER SPRING, IF I HOLD THE BOTTOM PART OF THE LEVER THAT BOLTS TO THE SHAFT INTO THE PUMP AND MOVE THE TOP HALF OF THE LEVER IT MOVES HEAPS BEFORE IT TAKES UP.??IS IT GOOD OR BAD??WHY HAVE THE LEVER SETUP LIKE THAT???????????????(PS DID I SAY IT DRIVES GOOD A PART FROM THAT THROTTLE) CHEERS AND HELP ADRIAN :(

It is supos to move against the springs there should be no space between the springs at all no free movement.If it looks rusty or worn at all or if in doubt change it, not that expensive there are two types a three hole and a two hole.

also if you got air ride cab it makes things way worse!Don't spend a dime on anything else till you try a new lever.It may surpriz ya.

I used to put a rubber strap on mine, after the spring broke one time and it ran wide open. Even after I put a new spring on it I left the rubber strap, and always did after that.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.