Air Ride Conversion:

Rob

I've been looking to try to go with an air ride conversion for my RL. A friend told me about this company in Fresno, CA and I called them. It is a ready made rear air setup that is complete except for some minor fittings.

They say that this only goes on the rear axle of a tandem and reduces the jarring or shock loading by 60% that is transmitted to the truck frame. Would using one air bag support system ride very well? The truck currently has Reyco four spring suspension and all but the rear spring hangers are retained.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Anything better out there that anyone has experience with? To use this one I would need to pull my pintle hitch and refabricate the mount because the existing one is in the way.

My frame is aluminum so don't want to butcher it up either.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

IF YOU HAVE REYCO THE BEST THING TO DO IS CUT IT BEHIND THE CAB AND FIND A 90S MODEL CH WITH 4 BAG AIR RIDE AND PUT UNDER IT THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO HELP REYCO IT JUST SUCKS

I really don't know that much about any suspension. If the frame were steel in this truck I would have much less hesitation to graft a cutoff onto it. This truck is serial number 001 of it's series, so don't want to do much to alter it. It is set up as built new, now. Little things like creature comforts are ok by me, but really don't want to go much further than that.

I've heard a lot of guys that liked Reyco very well, and others that did not. The bushings and all mounting points are very tight and the truck is mechanically sound, (I believe). I would like for it to have less backslap through the frame and I know it will with a load on, but that will not be it's primary purpose as it will be a commuter.

Rob

Rob,

This is the exact same system I have purchased and fit for my B-67.

It is literally a bolt-in operation using the original springs as

locating members.

It looks pretty well made, although I can't imagine that it would be

much good for a tandem axle truck.

(Jimmy had to grind off a couple of "Made in China" signs - made him mad)

It seems to me that Neway made a rear suspension for Mack and it was

available as an option from Mack on most of the R model tractors.

Obviously the advantage is that you would have air ride on both axles.

The Neway is a nice set-up with the long travel arm, and yields a

really good ride. If it were mine - I'd start looking in that direction.

The Super Ride cross member, although fine for a hobby single axle,

is really just a toy compared with a real air ride suspension.

You may have some holes to plug weld, but the retro-fit should not be

too bad.

Paul Van Scott

That is the exact set up on a KW I was looking at. Never got to drive the truck, so can't compare, but it also had 4 spring under it.

Not sure of the mileage on the unit, but the crossmember was severely cracked and needed attention if it was to be used to haul again. For the "toy" I was going to use it for, I was going to patch it up and re-use it. I would bet that it would be helpful under loaded condition but not sure how "soft" it would be bobtail?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rob,

This is the exact same system I have purchased and fit for my B-67.

It is literally a bolt-in operation using the original springs as

locating members.

It looks pretty well made, although I can't imagine that it would be

much good for a tandem axle truck.

(Jimmy had to grind off a couple of "Made in China" signs - made him mad)

It seems to me that Neway made a rear suspension for Mack and it was

available as an option from Mack on most of the R model tractors.

Obviously the advantage is that you would have air ride on both axles.

The Neway is a nice set-up with the long travel arm, and yields a

really good ride. If it were mine - I'd start looking in that direction.

The Super Ride cross member, although fine for a hobby single axle,

is really just a toy compared with a real air ride suspension.

You may have some holes to plug weld, but the retro-fit should not be

too bad.

Paul Van Scott

That is what I can't imagine myself; It being effective on a tandem only applied to the rear axle. I'm leaning more towards the Neway or Hendickson type as this truck probably will never see any dirt or off road action. I'm planning to install a small sleeper/cabin and some sort of hauler bed like the "hot shot" guys use.

I've got a complete rolling long frame from a burnt R model, (cab & hood fire) with Neway under it, but that is slated for Project "R-12"

I can hear Momma's mouth already if it doesn't have an air ride..... Sure wish it were quieter too.

Rob

Surely shes not one of those "It better have good Air Conditioner" or "it better have an air ride seat on my side" type of gal is she??? Still gotta love 'em though

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Surely shes not one of those "It better have good Air Conditioner" or "it better have an air ride seat on my side" type of gal is she??? Still gotta love 'em though

Actually she is. Her charming disposition disappears when the twin valleys between her triple chin roll(s) starts to sweat.

Rob

IF YOU HAVE REYCO THE BEST THING TO DO IS CUT IT BEHIND THE CAB AND FIND A 90S MODEL CH WITH 4 BAG AIR RIDE AND PUT UNDER IT THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO HELP REYCO IT JUST SUCKS

You don't EVER cut a frame behind the cab and "graft" a suspension cutoff on to it!!!!!!!!! :pat:

The proper way is to remove all the existing suspension from your frame, then install the suspension from the "cutoff" onto your frame.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

You don't EVER cut a frame behind the cab and "graft" a suspension cutoff on to it!!!!!!!!! :pat:

The proper way is to remove all the existing suspension from your frame, then install the suspension from the "cutoff" onto your frame.

YES HK IM SOORY I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE MORE PLAIN BUT ANY BODY THAT HAS SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN A TRUCK WITH REYCO ON IT NOWS WHAT I MEAN YES TAKE ALL THE CROSSMEMBERS OUT OF YOUR OLD FRAME AND SLIDE THE OTHER INSIDE I STAND CORRECTED