What To Do

I'm looking to add some "rigs" to my manure truck fleet I currnetly have 4000 gallon tanks on the backs of a few mack trucks. I'm looking to increase capacity "per unit" by going to semi tanker setups with 6300 gallon tanks but I still want to "offroad" them so I figured 6x6 semi's I'm down to 2 truck choices for pretty much the same money either

96 DMM 6x6's with em7-275's and t2060's, or

1997 oshkosh highlands with m-11 cummins and eaton transmissions (something LL's) and eaton axles.

either one will have to be shortened i believe and the HP turned up.. i will also be installing jakes. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:SMOKIE-LFT: :SMOKIE-LFT: :SMOKIE-LFT:

post-1247-1231216243.jpg

post-1247-1231216256_thumb.jpg

If either truck will perform the task you will ask of it; I would ask myself which is easier to get proprietary parts for? In Wisconsin, Oshkosh may be fairly easy, (yet expensive), and the heavy spec Mack might not be so easy.

Cost of operation would be the largest contributor to my decision.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

thats a tuff question there. Im a 100% mack man so It would be an easy pick for me but the choices you have are about even. The oskosh are tuff trucks. Meyer meterial uses both mack and oskosh and I have to say they both do the jobs just as well. I think you would like macks automatic powerdivider in the mud but the 8LL might give you better overall reduction? the mack looks better in my opinion and if you already have had good luck with Mack you knight as well stick with them. The DM and DMM model familys are one of the toughest trucks mack has built so you know what your getting into. I know that the transfercase is expencive to repair but both trucks have them. The maxidyne is better for low rpm tq so thats a bonus.

Regardless i dont think you can go wrong with either truck

Trent

One of my concerns is the m11 known to have "block fretting" especially if turned up.... my limited experience with them has been mostly with the STC l-10's and one m-11 in a dump truck. none of which have been a problem, also it is less expensive to jake up the mack than it is the m-11, but i do agree that the LL trans mision would be a plus... anyone here ever drive one of those oshkosh highlands?, i've never seen one up close....

One of my concerns is the m11 known to have "block fretting" especially if turned up.... my limited experience with them has been mostly with the STC l-10's and one m-11 in a dump truck. none of which have been a problem, also it is less expensive to jake up the mack than it is the m-11, but i do agree that the LL trans mision would be a plus... anyone here ever drive one of those oshkosh highlands?, i've never seen one up close....

Looks like OSHKOSH uses a Freightliner cab and maybe some other pieces. Longevity in severe duty would be a concern for me. In my experience, the FL cabs and interiors don't really hold up well in "normal" highway service. Probably the poorest excuse for doors ever installed on any truck.

Looks like OSHKOSH uses a Freightliner cab and maybe some other pieces. Longevity in severe duty would be a concern for me. In my experience, the FL cabs and interiors don't really hold up well in "normal" highway service. Probably the poorest excuse for doors ever installed on any truck.
For a short time the freightliner corp. owned the Oshkosh works and before the deal was done they back out on Osh. The word was they wanted them for the millitaty contracts.

glenn akers

Looks like I will be sticking with my tryed and true friend.... the mack trucks (of course all of this is dependant on securing the "proper" financing) I'm most familiar with the drive trains and have lots of spare parts around, anyone here ever reduce the capacity of front springs for a better ride? These 6x6 dmm's have a pretty beefy front end and I wont be needed that much spring..... so for rider comfort i am considering reducing front spring capacity, also can the dmm be converted to an air ride cab?

For a short time the freightliner corp. owned the Oshkosh works and before the deal was done they back out on Osh. The word was they wanted them for the millitaty contracts.

Sounds like something Freightliner Corp. would do. They are all about the bottom line and it shows in the quality (or lack thereof) of their products.

Looks like I will be sticking with my tryed and true friend.... the mack trucks (of course all of this is dependant on securing the "proper" financing) I'm most familiar with the drive trains and have lots of spare parts around, anyone here ever reduce the capacity of front springs for a better ride? These 6x6 dmm's have a pretty beefy front end and I wont be needed that much spring..... so for rider comfort i am considering reducing front spring capacity, also can the dmm be converted to an air ride cab?

There are kits available for road trucks to soften up the front end. They involve removing some spring leaves and then an adjustable airbag is installed to maintain the weight rating. Donvel is the most heavily advertised brand name but I'm sure there are others. If you are inclined, you probably could fab your own setup like this. Same with the cab air ride. The DM's had air cabs; I bet the parts would work, maybe with a spacer if the cab sits higher on the frame.

Don't think Freightliner actually owned or was buying Oshkosh. I think is was more like a cooperative agreement. All the HD all wheel drive Freightliners had Oshkosh designed drive trains at the time. The big military Freightliners were all Oshkosh underneath. But at the same time Oshkosh also had a working agreement with Mack on front discharge mixers. The Oshkosh was available with a Mack engine and the Mack FDM was Oshkosh based with Mack underneath. I think Oshkosh may have terminated the deal because, as we all know, Freightliner cannot be a partner, instead they must dominate. Oshkosh is a very independent company

• 1 month later...

I cann't speak of the oshkosh trucks but I can and will tell you about the M-11 P.O.S. OR PIECE OF S#*T!!!!!! I had a 95 fld120 frieghtbreaker and it and that DAMNED p.o.s. m-11 nearly put me out of buisness on more than one occasion. HOW ABOUT EVERY WEEK. Yes I am a certifiable :mack1: nut but trust me the m-11 IS A PIECE OF S##T. IN THREE YEARS we, me and the guy I bought it from put 2 heads ,4 complete sets of injectors,2 flywheels, 5 clutchs, an oil cooler, mid shaft bearing, all new inneraxle drive shaft, new universal joints, front bushings, king pins, tierod ends, 5 sets of steer tires 5 three axle alignments and 2 new cams. P.O.S. TO THE MAX. RUN FAR AWAY FROM THAT. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS