Battery Charging:

I maintain a lot of batteries at work and have wanted to post a chart like this for quite some time; Just never remember to do it. Well, Santa left me a new rolling manual battery charger/booster and it came with this little chart which is very close to what I use daily.

It is geared toward a charge rate of 50 amperes, but using the calculation with your recorded number(s) substituted will yield the results you need.

Above all remember this:

Under NO circumstances allow a wet cell battery to exceed 125 degrees Fahrenheit at any time while under charging current! Monitor temperature with a glass thermometer, or non contact thermometer! I cannot stress this enough as the likelyhood of battery explosion increases exponentially above this temperature. Ensure adequate ventilation is provided for the "gassing" that will take place also. Remove the caps, or lids, if possible.

Periodically monitor the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a battery hydrometer that is temperature compensated for correct reading(s). A specific gravity reading is 1.265 when the battery is considered "fully charged". This is the target number you are looking to achieve.

I'm posting this in a .pdf file so anyone can print it off at will. If anyone wants a more detailed proceedure to service batteries, I can provide that but this formulation works well and is effective for the occasional user.

Hope someone finds this of use!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I maintain a lot of batteries at work and have wanted to post a chart like this for quite some time; Just never remember to do it. Well, Santa left me a new rolling manual battery charger/booster and it came with this little chart which is very close to what I use daily.

It is geared toward a charge rate of 50 amperes, but using the calculation with your recorded number(s) substituted will yield the results you need.

Above all remember this:

Under NO circumstances allow a wet cell battery to exceed 125 degrees Fahrenheit at any time while under charging current! Monitor temperature with a glass thermometer, or non contact thermometer! I cannot stress this enough as the likleyhood of battery explosion increases exponentially above this temperature. Ensure adequate ventilation is provided for the "gassing" that will take place also. Remove the caps, or lids, if possible.

Periodically monitor the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a battery hydrometer that is temperature compensated for correct reading(s). A specific gravity reading is 1.265 when the battery is considered "fully charged". This is the target number you are looking to achieve.

I'm posting this in a .pdf file so anyone can print it off at will. If anyone wants a more detailed proceedure to service batteries, I can provide that but this formulation works well and is effective for the occasional user.

Hope someone finds this of use!

Rob

ps: The new server will not allow me upload any files due to permissions not enabled. I'll update this post when the administrator enables them.

oh...that's probably why I couldn't post a picture.

by the way,I can not print this valuable info-my ''printer,scanner,copier'' has ceased to function in a usable manner.Geez,you make me do that Rob-I mean the sumbish quit working!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

oh...that's probably why I couldn't post a picture.

by the way,I can not print this valuable info-my ''printer,scanner,copier'' has ceased to function in a usable manner.Geez,you make me do that Rob-I mean the sumbish quit working!

Tried to send the files to you in a pm also with no joy.

I have a hard time figuring out a persons equipment problem if it is not accurately described.

Just exactly what does "sumbish" equate to?????

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Tried to send the files to you in a pm also with no joy.

I have a hard time figuring out a persons equipment problem if it is not accurately described.

Just exactly what does "sumbish" equate to?????

Rob

that is accuratley described-it quit working,the printer,scanner,copier.

that is accurately described-it quit working,the printer,scanner,copier.

You had offered clarification with the term "sumbish". I've never heard this term prior and require a thorough understanding of both the structure to language, and it's derivatives. My understanding will serve to alleviate miscommunication in further conveyances.

Rob

i have alot of respect for batteries now because when i was 14 i was charging a battery for a truck and when i took the cable clamp off the battery it sparked and blew up in my face i am def in my right ear now from that when i charge a battery now i turn off the charger when i connect it or disconnect it a couple of weeks ago one of my employees was charging a battery and he had the charger on and when he took it off it blew up but he was out of the way so no damage just a bunch of acid on his coveralls there all eatn up now that acid is nasty stuff

You had offered clarification with the term "sumbish". I've never heard this term prior and require a thorough understanding of both the structure to language, and it's derivatives. My understanding will serve to alleviate miscommunication in further conveyances.

Rob

well then, it's a slang term for ''sunuvabitch!'', but I didn't know if the site censors would let me say ''sunuvabitch!'' or not. Sorry for the confusion.

Now if I get banned it'll be all your fault...and I bet you'll miss me. :(

..did I spell censor wrong? I think I did...but i'm not sure

well then, it's a slang term for ''sunuvabitch!'', but I didn't know if the site censors would let me say ''sunuvabitch!'' or not. Sorry for the confusion.

Now if I get banned it'll be all your fault...and I bet you'll miss me. :(

..did I spell censor wrong? I think I did...but i'm not sure

Ahhh yes. Using the power of phonetics, and deductive reasoning, I have surmised that your "slang terminology" is meaning to say "son of a bitch" in different pronunciation. I believe that is called synonyms within the english language.

Thank you for taking the time to clear that confusion. I feel much better now.

You have spelled "censors" correctly I might add.

Should your participation be ostracized from the site I would be willing to be held accountable for your banishment. I would accept full responsibility.

Although I do have broad shoulders, I would miss you in your absence.

Rob

i have alot of respect for batteries now because when i was 14 i was charging a battery for a truck and when i took the cable clamp off the battery it sparked and blew up in my face i am def in my right ear now from that when i charge a battery now i turn off the charger when i connect it or disconnect it a couple of weeks ago one of my employees was charging a battery and he had the charger on and when he took it off it blew up but he was out of the way so no damage just a bunch of acid on his coveralls there all eatn up now that acid is nasty stuff

I'm gonna leave the bullshit on the curb with this one:

I'm sorry you had to learn the danger of batteries with physical injuries. That would be tough to live with. I've seen training films through the years and the danger has been preached many times so never had to experience it first hand. I do carry and use a neoprene apron, skull cap, safety goggles, and a full face shield when load testing battery banks. This is also used in evaluating performance.

You are one that has learned to respect this area. So many do not and repeat the same mistake. One of the most common incidents that happens with batteries is to try to jump start a very low temperature, or frozen battery. With the inrush of current a rapid buildup of heat and boiling of the electrolye occurs, and things start to expand on very short order. When the expansion of the internal plates cannot move effortlessly, pressure builds until something blows. If you lost your hearing, you know it is not a quiet affair. Sulfuric acid is not easy on clothing, and very bad on the eyes, and skin.

If one goes to jump start a vehicle always hook up the discharged battery first, and disconnect last. This is due to the heating effect I have mentioned earlier. As soon as boosting current is added to the discharged battery, it starts to gas. This is the explosive part of the equation. This is also why you disconnect last. If one disconnects this area first, there is most times a spark. You can guess what a spark in an explosive atmosphere can equate to and the result. This is also why it is best to hook the booster cable to the positive post of the discharged battery, and the negative lead to a suitable ground separate from the battery, (like engine bracket, block etc.).

I'm not one that lives or preaches on the side of caution. Many of the batteries I work with are for locomotive starting and used on generator sets, with a capacity well over 500 amperhours at 8VDC rating each; Safety is mandated with this kind of current available. In other words there is a very strong possibility for death or injury if safety is not followed, and practiced.

A guy I worked for in high school once told me about digging bakelite chips out of his chest with a pair of tweezers when a battery exploded on him. This was in the 60's some time and was readily willing to warn me of the inherent dangers of working with what so many take for granted.

You only have to get hurt once to remember it well.

I'd rather not have that lesson.

Rob

I blew up a battery last summer. heard lots about it never had it happen to me. Got a whole new respect for them now. I was always carefull around them and always put the cables on before the power was pluged in. still didet matter. the charger was an old one, powerd by a Briggs 5 horse and it somehow let a small spark out as the cables went on. I think the coil or magneto on the engine was the culpret? blew up right below my hand. I had gloves on and sunglasses so no harm done. but I did get a sore finger out of it.

every time I hook up a batt now I look away and close my eyes :lol:

Thanks Rob for the info on charging batteries and safety tips

The only thing I might add is a note concerning dry cell or AGM batteries. These are becoming more popular for severe service and deep cycle operation. (There was a thread a few weeks ago about battery isolators and such) These newer design batteries are a completely different animal regarding charging & maintenance. Just make sure you know what you are dealing with to avoid personal injury and/or damage to your equipment.

Thanks Rob for the info on charging batteries and safety tips

The only thing I might add is a note concerning dry cell or AGM batteries. These are becoming more popular for severe service and deep cycle operation. (There was a thread a few weeks ago about battery isolators and such) These newer design batteries are a completely different animal regarding charging & maintenance. Just make sure you know what you are dealing with to avoid personal injury and/or damage to your equipment.

A lot of these are called a "Valve Regulated Lead Acid" type battery. I have several "banks" of those also but that is whole different charging and maintenance scenario so I did not post it. They are not as of yet popular in automotive application(s).

Rob

Rob, this has all been good information. Now let's take it a few steps further. The starter is hung up, or the electrical system is otherwise shorted out. The battery is gassing, or smoking. The battery cables are melting. The insurance premium is past due. The truck is parked between a new Lincoln Navigator and a day care center. From past experience I know that touching a melting electrical cable bare handed is bad, bad, bad. If the melting insulation doesn't stick to your skin, the red hot copper wire will burn the piss out of you. Very calmly taking a combination wrench and removing the positive cable, can, and most likely will cause a spark under these conditions. Past experience again. The resulting explosion will be very loud. Having these thoughts seared into your memory, a simple stationary panic, becomes a modified full blown panic. Hopping up and down from one foot to the other and yelling real loud probably wont help. Considering this to be an emergency, what would be the best course of action?

Rob, this has all been good information. Now let's take it a few steps further. The starter is hung up, or the electrical system is otherwise shorted out. The battery is gassing, or smoking. The battery cables are melting. The insurance premium is past due. The truck is parked between a new Lincoln Navigator and a day care center. From past experience I know that touching a melting electrical cable bare handed is bad, bad, bad. If the melting insulation doesn't stick to your skin, the red hot copper wire will burn the piss out of you. Very calmly taking a combination wrench and removing the positive cable, can, and most likely will cause a spark under these conditions. Past experience again. The resulting explosion will be very loud. Having these thoughts seared into your memory, a simple stationary panic, becomes a modified full blown panic. Hopping up and down from one foot to the other and yelling real loud probably wont help. Considering this to be an emergency, what would be the best course of action?

since Rob's not here,i'll take a stab at it-run to the hardware store across the street and grab some bolt cutters and cut the cable as far from the battery as possible. In an emergency you can saw through a battery cable pretty quick with a hack saw. No hardware store across the street? I don't know...run like hell?

First one must realize that batteries rarely gas under rapid discharge. There is not enough capacity in a battery installed into an automotive application that will provide current long enough for this to be a problem. This is a byproduct of charging, or boosting the battery. A large current draw, or a high resistance connection will produce extreme electrical loading that is mentioned.

You are correct in assuming that it would not be proper to grab an electrical conductor that is a glowing from current flowing through it. The correct proceedure at this point would be to cut or sever, (if possible) the negative conductor with a utensil as the "bitter end" that hangs loose has no possible way to get to the elevated potential the positive cable has. Once the conductor is interrupted, current stops flowing immediately and the situation changes to less of an emergency.

I would not be one to care about any automobile in the given scenario; That is assuming it has been cleared of persons. Depending on the proximity of the said day care institution to the hazard, or danger, would determine an appropriate response. As you know one does not use water to extinguish an electrical fire hazard, but rather CO2, or dry chemical. Water may be used for a cooling agent once the electrical current supply has been disabled.

Next question please......

Rob

this is why i always put a battery disconnect on the trucks i got that and some of them always ran the battery down

First one must realize that batteries rarely gas under rapid discharge. There is not enough capacity in a battery installed into an automotive application that will provide current long enough for this to be a problem. This is a byproduct of charging, or boosting the battery. A large current draw, or a high resistance connection will produce extreme electrical loading that is mentioned.

You are correct in assuming that it would not be proper to grab an electrical conductor that is a glowing from current flowing through it. The correct proceedure at this point would be to cut or sever, (if possible) the negative conductor with a utensil as the "bitter end" that hangs loose has no possible way to get to the elevated potential the positive cable has. Once the conductor is interrupted, current stops flowing immediately and the situation changes to less of an emergency.

I would not be one to care about any automobile in the given scenario; That is assuming it has been cleared of persons. Depending on the proximity of the said day care institution to the hazard, or danger, would determine an appropriate response. As you know one does not use water to extinguish an electrical fire hazard, but rather CO2, or dry chemical. Water may be used for a cooling agent once the electrical current supply has been disabled.

Next question please......

Rob

yeah,yeah,that's the same thing I said,only different. :P

Now, if one train leaves St. Louis headed west at 4:15, and another train leaves Denver at 4:30 headed east, what time does the 8 o'clock bus get to the station?