1955 B-61 with a FA-505 axle. For a pre-1963 it came up as a Mack 301SQ32B kingpin kit which crossed over to a Euclid E-4465-B. When we pulled the original kingpins today they are longer than the new Euclid kingpins. Original are 7 5/16” in length and new ones are l 6 5/8”. The new kit came with roller bearings and my original kingpins were only bushings. Any suggestions on the proper kit#. Anyone have pics of a proper kit. 

145F09E7-12D8-4DA0-B035-A18754356E48.jpeg

I am not well versed in old truck parts, but I was able to find some different crosses other than the Euclid kit. Found this TRW brand kit K506B, the size according to mpparts.com is 1.250" x 7.88" I'll attach a screenshot to see if it appears what you're looking for. 

image.png

picture you posted  =K506B shows a straight pin . original picture posted of pin removed is the tapered pin ; big bottom /smaller top . picture #3 of needed kit would/should be correct .  11/16th difference in pin length possibly another sign of product cut back. look at the diagram picture posted you notice top of pin does nothing once past the roller bearing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

picture you posted  =K506B shows a straight pin . original picture posted of pin removed is the tapered pin ; big bottom /smaller top . picture #3 of needed kit would/should be correct .  11/16th difference in pin length possibly another sign of product cut back. look at the diagram picture posted you notice top of pin does nothing once past the roller bearing. 

Yea, that's my bad for not looking as closely, sorry. I couldn't find any other good crosses, don't know where to suggest you find the right ones either. 

did you measure the length of the new pin and the overall length of the steering knuckle's king pin boss'?   are they the same?  i'm just curious..  Matt makes a good point as well..  

2 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

If you strike out finding the correct kit and everything else in the kit you just got will work, you could have the kingpins made at a machine shop and then heat treated. Sometimes it is the best way to get it back on the road if there are no other options.

another option to consider  = is this a hobby/show truck ?:: are the diameters top and bottom of new  pin correct with only length tad short , install bush, bearing, pin check top of spindle with top cap off, does the pin protrude past upper bearing ;;; I say go for it. are the original king pins that bad after a fluff and buff installed with the new bearing/bushing to where it would be a safety hazard driving??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

another option to consider  = is this a hobby/show truck ?:: are the diameters top and bottom of new  pin correct with only length tad short , install bush, bearing, pin check top of spindle with top cap off, does the pin protrude past upper bearing ;;; I say go for it. are the original king pins that bad after a fluff and buff installed with the new bearing/bushing to where it would be a safety hazard driving??

Them new pins are not tapered, no way to fit unless you do some lathe turning on them.   terry:MackLogo:  Look like rockwell pins, there is a notch in the middle where a retaining pin goes through axle and along side of pin to lock it in.

Edited by terry
  • Like 1

BUT look at picture  #1 the original pin VS pin kit they have . the pins are BOTH  tapered ; new pin tad shorter which looking at diagram cut away the pins go above bearing . the picture #4 is a pin kit photo supplied by BMT member NOT a correct kit for B model. straight pin having a tapered lock bolt is for much later axle. the tapered king pin should memory be correct  is held from spinning in axle by weight on the taper of center section on pin. earlier tapered pin kits had the thicker bushing which required a reamer.

9 hours ago, terry said:

Them new pins are not tapered, no way to fit unless you do some lathe turning on them.   terry:MackLogo:  Look like rockwell pins, there is a notch in the middle where a retaining pin goes through axle and along side of pin to lock it in.

the later straight pin kits have the larger bearing on bottom between spindle and axle which take the unit weight. reason for tapered lock pin through axle and king pin,

• Like 1

excellent page of reference ; I'm not sure they are all Mack axles although it is in a Mack manual  ;; also considering fact I know I didn't work on or remember working on every one.!!. remember the king pin having a threaded top for adjustment (way back ).FA600 series

even looking at the Mack logo and stance of the bulldog on service manual says ; Mack is a worker. rugged and bold. once again a regret of " how would I have known to save and keep all those books and manuals  I HAD.

My Dad bought a 6 unit  building in Biddeford Maine 20+ years ago. He was cleaning out a smal storage room and said, Hey Joe, I found some old truck books..  I was working at a Mack Dealershiip at the time,  ( Maine Mack in Portlad Maine)  really in Westbrook..  He didnt know what they meant to me, just that he didnt want to toss them in the trash..  there was about 6 books in total..  

unfortunately , looks as though your back to "square one" . kit you purchased can't be used . steering system isn't anything to modify .  based on picture of original pin, the ugly pitted section fits the axle. not major issue IF THEY HAD TO BE REUSED . bushing ends aren't totally a loss. still need correct bushing . entire proper kit.