RIP Cale Yarborough

RowdyRebel

Legendary Nascar driver (back when it was still worth watching) and friend of the Duke boys...

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/12/31/cale-yarborough-fierce-competitor-and-three-time-cup-series-champion-dies-at-age-84/

• Thanks 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I have a book here somewhere that he wrote about his life, mostly about the early years before he "hit the big time". One of my favorite stories in it was about when he won his first race. He stopped at a steakhouse with all his crew to celebrate with steaks. They were still in the jeans and T shirts that they were wearing at the track, and they sat down and ordered steak for everyone. They waited and waited for their food and while they were waiting a wedding party came in and sat down. In just a few minutes the waiters started bring out steaks- for the wedding party. Needless to say they were highly pissed. I think it was Cale that said "those look like our steaks". I know it was Cale that walked over and picked up a steak off of one of their plates with his hands and took a bite out of it, then he said "tastes like our steaks too".  That's how the fight started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

4 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Back when racing was racing on "ABC's Wide World of Sports" with Chris Economaki in the pits.    .....Hippy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OucDTNqQTJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUaaPWZiUfU

You'll have to Copy-N-Paste

wide world of sports ;one heck of good show. back then there were reasons for watching TV.  as a senior when the R I P for ones of days gone by shows up brings to mind those talented people forgotten in todays world. with the cold weather here, have gotten to watching reruns of western show of days gone by in black and white, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, other dog said:

I have a book here somewhere that he wrote about his life, mostly about the early years before he "hit the big time". One of my favorite stories in it was about when he won his first race. He stopped at a steakhouse with all his crew to celebrate with steaks. They were still in the jeans and T shirts that they were wearing at the track, and they sat down and ordered steak for everyone. They waited and waited for their food and while they were waiting a wedding party came in and sat down. In just a few minutes the waiters started bring out steaks- for the wedding party. Needless to say they were highly pissed. I think it was Cale that said "those look like our steaks". I know it was Cale that walked over and picked up a steak off of one of their plates with his hands and took a bite out of it, then he said "tastes like our steaks too".  That's how the fight started.

My parents would always do whatever shopping they needed to do for big-ticket items after church whenever they could. My dad was a bricklayer back then, so if they went after work they couldn't find a salesman willing to help. After church, though, the salesman were jumping at the chance to sell to them.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

wide world of sports ;one heck of good show. back then there were reasons for watching TV.  as a senior when the R I P for ones of days gone by shows up brings to mind those talented people forgotten in todays world. with the cold weather here, have gotten to watching reruns of western show of days gone by in black and white, 

MeTV is on all day long here and yes black and white westerns are the best

Oh the good old days I miss Sear and robucks every department had somebody in charge you could talk with before purchase I used to buy all of my tools there. I’m sure most of us did.

• Like 1

I always enjoyed the look I got when I brought back tools for replacement under warranty. My favorite was the 3/4" T-slide that I'd bring in looking more like a J-slide. When they'd pick up their jaw from the floor and ask how the hell I did that, I'd just flex and say "They just don't make tools like they used to..."

Reality was, I was changing tires & breaking loose the lug nuts that wouldn't budge with my 3/4" impact...so I'd put the socket on the T-slide, slip a 3' pipe over the handle, wrap a chain around the pipe, and use my 2-ton cherry picker to lift up on the chain & bust them loose. T-slide handle would bend into a J every time. When I was done, I'd go back to Sears to swap so I'd have it for the next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

another sign of changing times. back in the "good days"  MOST celebrities of the sports world - racing/ baseball/football etc were human beings that appreciated the fans whom put them in the spot light. unlike todays multi million dollar stars having I'm better then you attitude.

True that!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.