Oil Filter Relocation

The motor in my B was swapped over to an ENDT 673(gold in color if that helps determine the vintage). The first picture shows the oil filter mounting plate that is mounted to the block with hoses going to a Luber Finer and a secondary oil filter that is in the second picture. (I have the cab off the frame and just needed a place to hang the filter, that' why it looks a little strange). My question is, I have a parts motor with the original style oil filter mounted directly to the block(third picture). That motor is a End 673. NO TURBO. Can I take the oil filter plate off the first motor and get rid of all the hoses and 2 crappy oil filters and just bolt on the original style oil filter with no oiling problems? Also if thats possible is the gasket to mount the original oil filter to the block still available? Thanks Bob

KIMG0724oil filter 1..JPG

KIMG0725oil filter 2..JPG

KIMG0726oil filter 4..JPG

My concern with that last photo would be flow volume through it to supply the block/turbo. Additionally, getting replacement filters for that unit.

It might be worth it to scrounge around and find a triple filter arrangement off an ENDT-675 with the spin-on filters. It would make servicing the engine a lot easier. This is the arrangement on my 675(237) that’s in my B42.

IMG_0714.jpeg

• Like 1

There's a few different arrangements for these. Id agree with Matt, scrounge around for a filter bracket from an endt-675/6. They at least come in 2 or 3 filter setups, it boils down to an option the truck was originally ordered with: ESI or ESI+ (extended service interval) the ESI oil pan was a mid size, with 2 oil filters.  The ESI+ was the 3 filters with a huge oil pan, something around 56 quarts, 14 gallons.  The bigger the pan/filter arrangement the more miles you could get per oil change.  Not sure if there was a single filter option, all mine are 2 or 3 filter setups.

• Like 1

There are a couple variations to that block plate and likely gaskets to match.

I swapped my original 673 NA to spin on and had to get correct mount for "non turbo" motor.  A turbo version should be easier to find.

I used my motor manual book and reference what my block looked like once I removed the full flow plate like you have.

My 673 did not have oil cooler and that is another option.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

58 minutes ago, nam vet said:

Was the 675/237 a factory motor in some B models or are they transplants?

237 came out about 68, last B was 66 I believe.  Terry:MackLogo:i have never seen that oil filter in the third pic.  Does the first pic. Engine have a oil cooler on it?

Edited by terry

237's are transplants. I did some research into converting my END-673 to spin-ons, but had to replace it before that with the 237. It was pretty straight forward with the filter housing bolting directly to the oil filter pad. Port alignment was not an issue and there are several gaskets available to line it up. I was looking to do it because the filter elements were getting harder to find. Another plus is that there are no external oil lines to route or worry about. Filters can also be had that are shorter in length to get you around clearance issues.

Ok ,here's what I got from this info. I need to look for a 2 or 3 spin on oil filter housing from a 625/237 Mack motor starting in about 1967, that was equiped with a turbo. Gasket are still available and its a straight forward bolt on swap. Terry asked if I had an oil cooler,not sure where to look or what they look like, if you guys could help me with that I would appreciate it.                                                                                                                     Also if any of you Mack guys have the correct oil filter housing I would prefer buying it off a Mack guy rather than searching for one. Truck salvage yards are few  and far between here in Mass.                                                                                                                                                                         Thanks to everybody for all your help!

I got my oil filter from Amazon now I’m waiting on oil lines getting rebuilt good luck to you I would have preferred to change to spin on like you want if they were easier to find and at my age this will probably be last oil change good luck bud… bob

If you have an oil cooler, it'll sit just below the left side of your intake manifold and to the left of the oil filter pad. It'll be round, about 3-4" in diameter. It should have two large flex lines running into it and back to the filter pad. If you look at my photo of the spin-ons you'll see it.

2 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

If you have an oil cooler, it'll sit just below the left side of your intake manifold and to the left of the oil filter pad. It'll be round, about 3-4" in diameter. It should have two large flex lines running into it and back to the filter pad. If you look at my photo of the spin-ons you'll see it.

Doesn't your spin on system have two metal oil tubes on top of filter housing one to each end of oil cooler?    terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry

3 hours ago, terry said:

Doesn't your spin on system have two metal oil tubes on top of filter housing one to each end of oil cooler?    terry:MackLogo:

I’d have to look, I think those might be hard lines. I may be thinking of my original installation on the 673 where I added an oil cooler to it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nam vet said:

Ok ,here's what I got from this info. I need to look for a 2 or 3 spin on oil filter housing from a 625/237 Mack motor starting in about 1967, that was equiped with a turbo. Gasket are still available and its a straight forward bolt on swap. Terry asked if I had an oil cooler,not sure where to look or what they look like, if you guys could help me with that I would appreciate it.                                                                                                                     Also if any of you Mack guys have the correct oil filter housing I would prefer buying it off a Mack guy rather than searching for one. Truck salvage yards are few  and far between here in Mass.                                                                                                                                                                         Thanks to everybody for all your help!

I have a two spin on oil filter stand with the oil cooler attached, came off a 237, don’t have an idea what it would cost to ship?   Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

Hi Terry, I checked my motor and it is equipped with an oil cooler so I probably don't need the one you have, but I am still interested in the oil filter stand if you are interested in selling it separately. Looking at some of the pictures of the spin on set up, I don't see any of the 2 hoses that run to the oil cooler and the one line that runs to the turbo. Are they just hidden behind the filters? Thanks again for your help.

Ok, I need some input. I am trying to get rid of those two ugly oil filters that are in my first two pictures(one of those pictures should have been of a rusty old Luber Finer, not sure where it went) and just trying to clean up the exterior of my B. I am thinking about remote oil filter mounts, like on a race car. I have an area that I can hide them very nicely and they take spin on filters like a Baldwin B99 size. I can plumb them into my existing set up with no changes and ditch the two old filters. I can get either single filter mounts or a mount the has two filters. I am thinking 4 filters for my setup, either 4 mounts or 2 double mounts plumbed in series. Race car mounts seem to be the best option because the fittings are for a larger hoses. Help ? Comments? Advice? Thanks Bob

I'd plumb them in parallel, not in series.  In series, the first filter catches everything and clogs, leaving your other filters clean and useless. In parallel, the oil can go through either set of filters, so you're actually getting the use out of having that many filters.

• Like 1

Thats even better than my idea. I was saying mount 4 filters because of the size of the two filters that are already mounted to the truck. Is one filter sufficient?

This should be the same one and at a good price I know cat wants over 600 for it the filter holds about a gallon and was used on 15 liter engines one thing to check on them is where it says bypass remove the plug and check for the spring and plunger if it’s not in there oil don’t get filtered IMG_0223.thumb.png.32c14d826218cc9f79820ec6ccfe9d16.png

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

On 12/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, Mean Green said:

The reason I changed to it my truck took forever to make oil pressure now I have it in a few seconds

I cleaned/polished my check valves in my full flow, it built pressure quickly a few times then back to 20-30 seconds.  That is why I changed mine to spin on.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"