1972 Diamond Reo with Mercury Sleeper

67RModel

i ran one of them as a loaner when my freightliner was in the shop back in 79-80. had a 8V71 with 13 speed. shifter was broken about two inches off the floor. so they used a piece of black iron gas pipe to bring the shift head high enough to use. great truck, but it was a bear to run into the city without power steering

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I saw those two the other day but I'm 6 hours away and don't have anything to haul them. Plus all the unobtanium parts that I might have to track down.

Ive got a mercury sleeper on my Transtar but haven't thought much of it. If people are crazy about them maybe I should evict the mice from it...

• Haha 1

Yea everyone wants an original Mercury sleeper and they are nearly impossible to find now. I think there is an outfit in Michigan remaking them just like the originals. I think you can find them through Facebook. But like anything everyone wants an original one. They are aluminum so as long as they don't get smashed they are usually in decent shape. Yes the interiors get clapped out by rodents and deterioration though.  

Do you know how much an original in good condition might be worth? I couldn't even find an original online after some digging. And to think we about chucked the sleeper on our truck when we first bought it! 

image.thumb.jpeg.ada5378c10a1a0e5eb11b357370132f8.jpeg

Didn't mean to throw the tread off topic. Hope someone buys them both to keep them together as siblings. 

Not too long ago I saw a wanted add posted for an original Mercury sleeper. The guy said he was willing to pay up to $5000 for one. My guess is $2500 and up depending on condition. I don't think in this day and age you would ever find one advertised for sale for less than $2500 - $3000. I would be curious to know what a brand new one costs to get built. 

https://www.facebook.com/MercurySleeperCo/

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...