1974 V8

Supermutt

I know it’s pretty difficult to identify with just some pics. If it’s the 866 I wonder if it’s the 375hp version.  I read somewhere that Mack put the 12spd behind the 375.  The cab interior pic looks like a 12spd. The truck is supposed to be a 74, R700. So was the 375hp version available in 74 ?  So difficult to get definitive info on the old v8’s. 

• Like 1

865/866 are the same engine. Some different parts. One is a Thermodyne, One a Maxidyne. But physically they are identical. I believe so. I’m not an expert by any stretch but own an 865. It doesn’t leak and runs very well.  They seem built tough, just repairs are expensive and hard parts are a bit of a search. I’m not scared of mine, it’s just in a toy though it’s not a working truck. 

don’t think there were any huge issues. I’ve heard of people talking about rolling bearings in them after some time for prevention, an oil pump relive spring that can get weak, head gaskets if not kept torqued. But other then that nothing that I know of. 

Edited by CF-Firefighter
  • Like 1

Might be able to pick up the whole truck for $1500. I am trying to get the vin. All I know is it was parked 3 years ago. Has a water tank on it. He said it ran good when parked. He picked up a newer water truck. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supermutt said:

I know it’s pretty difficult to identify with just some pics. If it’s the 866 I wonder if it’s the 375hp version.  I read somewhere that Mack put the 12spd behind the 375.  The cab interior pic looks like a 12spd. The truck is supposed to be a 74, R700. So was the 375hp version available in 74 ?  So difficult to get definitive info on the old v8’s. 

I worked Mack trucks '69--'75 ; the 866/// 375  was around before I left. shift defiantly looks to be 12 speed wouldn't be hooked to 865 maxi. 

• Like 2

this R700 :V8 topic sure has the interest for me .. back then I delivered a brand new R-700 (V-8) to a construction co in this town (watertown,CT ). doubt the co like many aren't around any more . Watertown construction ??; not dayton construction= they are still around. 

• Like 1