Can 237/285 engines last another 10yrs?

Go to solution Solved by JoeH,

interesting to read last two post = "ole reliable" = sweet running. possibly due to simple technology was used to built  work trucks in the day. short version == got a phone call yesterday while CT was having heavy rain. driver says his '17 KW triaxle dump had a slight problem. he went to raise passenger window = the door locks started cycling but the window wouldn't work; same for drivers door. I said used the hand crank !- duh there isn't one. there is a module in the door. door apart , raise window by hand .unplug module..  point is "new" junk NOT reliable anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

interesting to read last two post = "ole reliable" = sweet running. possibly due to simple technology was used to built  work trucks in the day. short version == got a phone call yesterday while CT was having heavy rain. driver says his '17 KW triaxle dump had a slight problem. he went to raise passenger window = the door locks started cycling but the window wouldn't work; same for drivers door. I said used the hand crank !- duh there isn't one. there is a module in the door. door apart , raise window by hand .unplug module..  point is "new" junk NOT reliable anymore. 

It's terrible how all this newer stuff is a POS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drove a Peterbilt once that had an air piston to raise/lower the passenger window via a switch on the dash. I thought that was slick. Driver side was hand crank.

On those steep inclines I'd be a bit nervous on light springs.  I'd want heavy springs to a) create less lean angle between frame and wheel alignment, and b) more safety factor to offset overload fatigue on the downhill side.  

• 2 weeks later...

Shockingly almost nothing wrong with the mixer. Passenger cab corner took a heck of a beating.  Its such a beefy frame I'm hoping the bones are all ok and it just needs a cab and miscellaneous small stuff. No spilled liquids, though it did tear a fuel line somewhere next to the engine, probably from the cab ripping 8 inches back and tearing loose from the passenger side hinge.

No injuries, just a bruised ego on the driver.  Just got sucked into a 4 ft ditch and fell over.  And you can see the remains of that tree, which I'm sure put some hurting on that cab.

We scraped the sand out often one bin at the scene, but it still has a fair bit of stone in the one side. And the cement bin on the back is mostly full.  Drivers job tomorrow is shovelling the materials off the truck before it goes to a collision center for evaluation.  If the mixer body has to come off then it needs to be empty.

• Sad 1