My Mack CF795

CF-Firefighter

Hello,

I am looking for information, history, and pictures of my fire apparatus. 

It is a 1977/78 CF795 1500gpm Chassis 1081. 
Mack was able to supply me with some information. 

It was purchased new by Tarrytown NY as Engine 76(Phenix Hose Company 2) where it ran until sometime in the Late 90’s. It then was refurbished and sold to Shawnee Valley Fire Department in Schellsburg PA. It remained there until around 2010. At some point around 2010 it wound up at North Coffee Fire Department in Manchester Tennessee. It was first due until 2022. I purchased it directly from them while it was in service. 

The paperwork from Mack states it was built as a manual trans truck. Sometime it was swapped to an Allison 5 speed and it all looks factory.

does anyone have information or any pictures of this truck? I’d like to learn more about its history and significant calls it may of responded to. 

It is in great shape with no rust and 36k original miles .

I have reached out to the departments it served with in NY and PA with little success. 

Thank you. 

IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_0858.webp

• Like 1

with 36k miles the engine is not even broke in yet, it looks to be very very clean , many of the Mack of the 70's had bad steel bodies ,looking at yours it looks great. I can tell it has a 500 gal tank most likely, also the rear body is Mack original  ( the aluminum over the compartments has rounded corners ). Did you get a good deal on it? Tires look great ,I'm sure the front disc brakes was an upgrade later . take good care of her.

Thank you sir. She was advertised with a 1000 gallon poly tank, but the Mack build sheet shows a 500. Not sure where they would have hidden the extra 500 gallons without  major body changes. It is definitely poly and it does have a foam system poly tank. 

She is garage kept in my heated shop and I am fortunate being a full time firefighter at a large Tennessee department I have access to the knowledge and tools through our dedicated fire department shop to keep her going. The plan this winter is to get her up on the lift and do a thorough PM and see if there are any hidden things that need addressed underneath. 

I only worry about the 865. Parts aren’t easy to find. But it runs well and doesn’t seem to leak anything. When I was a younger fireman we ran mostly Cummins n14’s and Mack EM6 powered units. The 865 is a bit foreign to me but is very stout. My current rig has an X15 605 and this thing outruns it. Granted it is a pumper with an 865 vs a Ladder/Quint with 605hp. 

with a Mack with a 1000gal .tank it would have a double compartment doors on the body & single doors (like yours) for a 500 gal tank ,hope that makes sense.

my son has a 71 CF 1000 gal tank  . It was purchased new by the fire co we belong to ($42k in 71) .he & his a friend purchased it about 10 years ago. It does not have the original Mack body, the fire co had Grumumn rehab body in the 90's

19 hours ago, CF-Firefighter said:

She was advertised with a 1000 gallon poly tank, but the Mack build sheet shows a 500.

That's not the original tank, which would have been steel. Poly tanks were relatively unheard of back then and certainly not installed OEM by Mack. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I was thinking along those lines.  Water is supposed to weigh about 8.33 pounds per gallon (at room temperature of 70° F).  If you have access to a scale, weigh it empty and full and see what the difference is.

Even allowing for minor differences in the weight of the water (based on actual temperature) and errors in weighing it, it should be pretty easy to tell if it's 500 gallons or 1,000 gallons.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Well, I got off Shift this morning and came home went out to look at the truck. I’m guessing they raised the hose bed. It’s only about 6” deep. The Poly Tank looks brand new. 

Does anyone have any info on the 865 engine that is in it? Reliability and such. It doesn’t appear to leak anything and it hasn’t used much if any oil since I have owned it. 

One issue I need to figure out is the dash engine temp gauge. It just bounces around between cold and pegged. I don’t know if that’s the gauge or the sending unit. 
The temp gauge on the pump panel says it runs between 175 and 190 depending on outside temp. I drove it home in 100 degrees and the warmest I saw was 195 over the 150 mile trip. 

Thank you sir, I am glad to hear it was well cared for. It certainly shows. I come from a place that if an apparatus is 5-6 years old, if it isn’t worn out, it has 100k miles on it. So to me it surly is a treasure. Wish I could find out more about its past. 

Thank you sir. I’m looking for working photos, history on any major jobs she was on, anything significant. Did they have it swapped to an automatic or was it done at refurb. Do they know what it cost new? Any significant repairs over the years? Pictures. 

It’s neat they wanted to buy it back. Right now she is in a good place and I have no intention of it leaving. It is sort of the canvas of my career. I’m collecting items I have used. For instance I am picking up a set of hydraulics tomorrow vintage Lukas. I spent 8.5 years on a Rescue. I want to have it so when my kids are older they can look at the things and ask me questions or maybe their kids. A place to display something that means a lot to me and has both gotten me through rough times, and put me in rough situations. However it is something I truly love. 

sweet L btw

Edited by CF-Firefighter

On 10/16/2023 at 6:08 PM, CF-Firefighter said:

In theory, one 1.75 inch line would last close to 10 min flowing if 1000 gallons. Half that if 500 to know for sure. 

I can tell you from looking at the pic as originally delivered compared to now, that the tank is not the original 500 gallon tank and is now larger. And I bet that the truck has no rust because when they modified the body to accommodate the larger tank, they probably did some cancer surgery at the same time. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Definitely added larger tank which is very common for rigs from my area when they go north or south. We are a complete hydrant district. I’ll get some info for you to answer some of your questions 

On 10/18/2023 at 9:13 PM, GA_Dave said:

Look under the lid of the tank fill tower, they sometimes engrave the tank capacity there.

Good advice. I remember seeing on top of the tank a make and serial number. But didn’t look inside the lid. 

thanks I’d appreciate the info. 

I’ll get some more pictures for you guys when I get a chance