Just picked up a 1984 CF686A Aerial Ladder truck, looking for some support/maint information

Alabama_Chris

Hey all, new member here...

I just picked up a 1984 CF686A Aerial Ladder truck.  It runs great and "everything" seems to work.  We are avid vehicle collectors, and have a large number of military vehicles, but couldn't resist this truck.  I was a paramedic and firefighter from 1995 - 2010, so Ive always had an affinity for these, however I've never used one of these trucks...

The paperwork indicates this is a L31R Aerial Ladder, and the title indicates the chassis is a CF686A.  So I don't know the proper model nomenclature to search for on da googles.

I have the service manuals for the powertrain, but im looking for support data for the body and ladder.

such as:

- Operators manuals, details to indicate proper safety limits (max angles, weights, height, positioning etc)

- Repair information, and other technical details for hydraulics

- Any other manuals document to provide details on proper care and usage.

- Really any information on this type of truck.

it looks like its missing something on the front of the ladder next to the monitor, and there is a cut cable near the base that goes to the front of the ladder..

Edit:  I'm fairly certain the cut cable is for the monitor controls from the base to the ladder top.

anyway, just digging in here.. found you guys..

Chris in Alabama.

Edited by Alabama_Chris
  • Like 1

We did some more testing and work today on the truck and was able to verify that the monitor gun motors, relays and controls work from the end of the ladder by putting 12 volt at the top control box.  They do not work from the control point at the Base of the ladder..

The cable going down the ladder was cut off, so no power at all.

Some pics for the next person who searches for it.

20231014_141432.jpg

20231014_143811.jpg

20231014_143815.jpg

Edited by Alabama_Chris
Typos and clarification

The aerial was a special product called "Bulldog 1" made specially for Mack by Ladder Towers, Inc. who is currently owned by the Spartan/REV group of Ephrata, Pa. You can try to give them a call or send an email to see what they have as far as manuals but I would not hold your breath. Not many of these were made for Mack. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS