Brand new Peterbilt

mowerman

Hell, every new Pete that passes me sounds like the engine is about to throw a rod.. what's up with that?? I'm talking the daycab, LTL company trucks..

Yes, that’s what we got 579 model freight truck so I get all jacked up for one and a half a day. It’s a deadline yes hopefully it doesn’t take months to get it out…. Wasn’t driving it long enough to get a photo ha ha.

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Hell, every new Pete that passes me sounds like the engine is about to throw a rod.. what's up with that?? I'm talking the daycab, LTL company trucks..

I've heard that about the Paccar and Cummins engines. Choked up on the emissions stuff all the time its not hard to see why 

I wouldn't order a truck without a manual transmission unless I had to. And if I had to pick an automatic I'd try and pick a REAL automatic like an Allison. Automated manual transmissions might be more efficient but with the complexity I don't see how they'd make sense in the long run.

• Like 2

It is all about how it is speced out.

Packard engine with eaton-fuller "auto" trans is junk.

Cummins x15 its allison is the way to go.

But. The cummins/allison combo is around 30 gran more.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

12 hours ago, mowerman said:

Got a brand new Pete here recently was pissing myself first trip very impressive except on the way back transmission issues now it’s in deadline waiting for more instructions from someone… and apparently theirs 3 others over at Peterbilt for computer not talking to components oooooooooooooooohhhhh goody back to driving beat up spare trucks…. Wouldn’t you think they would completely check these things out before they deliver them.. like wow man … bob

it's obvious NOTHING  is checked out before put to public. every day news shows more recalls; baby seats, cars (big recall numbers there) . for an old man like myself had to laugh at news other day. all the new 15 phones are burning peoples hands they are getting so hot. quality control is no longer there.  technology  moving tooo fast ;; have to get the CEO's their bonus checks.  30 gran for cummin/allison up grade is sick/sad. darn the entire truck didn't cost that much a few yrs back! OK quite a few yrs back.

Clearly, no quality control we’ve got like four trucks over there now for similar situation.. two of them the air conditioners, supposedly fix one. It went right back again. Both kenworth and Peterbilt  there really isn’t a whole lot. I don’t like about the new truck. Except the dashboard control knob on the steering wheel .. and the def tank on the right side 

9 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

I wouldn't order a truck without a manual transmission unless I had to. And if I had to pick an automatic I'd try and pick a REAL automatic like an Allison. Automated manual transmissions might be more efficient but with the complexity I don't see how they'd make sense in the long run.

You know, I really didn’t think I was going to like them first day in one I was already sold Holy cow after a few hours. This is the way to go after 30 years of shifting them I didn’t think I was going to get used to it that fast… bob 

Nothing wrong with the concept, it is implementation that has all the problems.

I stayed with old school stuff until the end, it worked for me, but could also see the newer stuff getting better mileage and less fatigue for the driver.  Because I did all my own work, the advantage of slightly better mileage was overruled by the cost of parts for the newer equipment. If I can overhaul an old engine for $1500 in parts, it is hard to justify the fuel cost for the newer stuff paying the difference.

None of this addresses the reliability issue. Of all my trucks in 30 some odd years, only twice have any been "on the hook" and then only for a few miles, both times it was a fuel related issue. They were worked hard, and still managed to stay off the "hook".

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 2

Do you know I’m not a Volvo fan at all butt company tryed a bunch of them a few years ago and they were nothing but problems but when I think back, it was all computer malfunctions everything else seem to stay together seems these newer ones all have the same issue electric garbage shipped in a can. Produce by sweatshops

I guess I probably better throw. In the fact they don’t want to pay union people to put this stuff together they would rather have it keep failing and save money seems like that would blow up in our face, and they had to keep replacing the junk for free  over????????? Lol bob

All of ours do a pretty good job. There’s only a couple of things I don’t like about them couple of maneuvers you’re better off to use the manual position if you don’t have enough patience to wait for over transmission to decide the gears I ordinarily downshift them manually on a long grade because they drag all the way down to just under 10 and at that point engine isn’t pulling anymore 

Confusing part as I will be jumping into another one or just a few weeks put my CB radio in it Thursday morning then after my work shift, I had to put it back in deadline before I ever had a chance to put the XM in it so now I’m just going to wait till I get into the other one. Maybe I could dump that lemon on somebody else ha ha. Bob

• 4 weeks later...

OK kind of confusing. The one with the bad transmission is still at Peterbilt the next one I was supposed to drive starting Monday just came out of the shop yesterday. Let’s see how that goes over three months without a CB or XM excited to get it or brand new truck let’s hope this thing is not constantly breaking.. bob

Bob,,,  How 'bout you just retire???  These Sh!tboxes are going to give you a stroke or worse...   I am quite sure you have earned the right to hang the keys up..    Happy Weekend Bud,,,  Jojo

Yes Joey this job has been beating me to death past couple of weeks as well as driving spare tractors I decided to go a little longer a while back to get some expensive home repairs done yes I would love to leave now, but I’m going another nine months end of next August will be it … but I’ve mentioned I’m not leaving. Going to run a forklift and a yard hustler over there part time no more roadwork. Long shifts too many issues. Happy Saturday bud. Thanks for your input still sipping coffee trying to wake up.

• Like 1

The brand new ones are a dream to drive, although the three axle rides, real rough over bumps, everything clings and bangs seat, chatters other than that they’re smooth and quiet, full of power takeoff fast pull hard and run down the road faster if I could keep this thing going it will be my last truck…bob