Edison Motors

CaptainCrutch

37 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Dunno if all the info is correct

Im thinking the 1962 Kenworth is the blue log truck in the back ground with the Edison banner tied between the bolsters

No matter, good luck to them

Paul

Indeed, the blue logger is their retrofit prototype. My understanding is it uses half the fuel of a conventional truck while having so much power they kept snapping the driveline on it. And unlike if it was full electric it actually weighs less than it did before the conversion.

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

Yes, I figured that was the idea getting the idea from the 62 so far they are off to a good start just the way it is ,it’s sits a lot better than the Tesla a few a little adjustment to the cab and they’ve got a winner thanks for posting that. I think I’m just going to miss the big mad  rush. I am getting a brand new Peterbilt that otta  hold me till next September 1 when I retire this super progress is a little too much for me, especially as you mention aerodynamic on everything it does not help the appearance whatsoever and certainly not a head turner in most cases ha ha thanks again for the post bud

I don't see how it would be any more efficient on fuel than a conventional truck with the loss of heat and everything. The regenerative braking capability's the real energy saver. 

I would use the traditional engine, transmission, drive shaft, and differential setup but have an electric motor act as sort of a carrier bearing between the transmission and differential. Then put a small Detroit 50 or other similar sized engine and have the electric motor assist when needed for extra power. Hopefully sodium ion battery's get cheep enough that I can do this someday. 

Edited by BOBWhite

6 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

I don't see how it would be any more efficient on fuel than a conventional truck with the loss of heat and everything. The regenerative braking capability's the real energy saver. 

I would use the traditional engine, transmission, drive shaft, and differential setup but have an electric motor act as sort of a carrier bearing between the transmission and differential. Then put a small Detroit 50 or other similar sized engine and have the electric motor assist when needed for extra power. Hopefully sodium ion battery's get cheep enough that I can do this someday. 

Surprisingly the heat loss really isn’t that significant, and on their first prototype they were getting a 50% fuel reduction to do the same work, because when the diesel motor is running its running at a constant throttle right at the peak of its horsepower curve, which is way more fuel efficient than having the diesel mechanical driveline we all know and love. And you can actually use a smaller diesel motor to do more work than most conventional trucks. Hybridizing a truck in the manner you mention would negate a lot of that efficiency, but it could definitely get you a little more fuel mileage. There’s a reason trains don’t get driven directly off the prime mover, instead they just have electric motors on every axel that are powered by the diesel generator… exactly like this truck.

There’s really no new technology here, it’s just a new application of something that worked for Mack back in 1927, and pretty much every train since before 1964.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

2 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Surprisingly the heat loss really isn’t that significant, and on their first prototype they were getting a 50% fuel reduction to do the same work, because when the diesel motor is running its running at a constant throttle right at the peak of its horsepower curve, which is way more fuel efficient than having the diesel mechanical driveline we all know and love. And you can actually use a smaller diesel motor to do more work than most conventional trucks. Hybridizing a truck in the manner you mention would negate a lot of that efficiency, but it could definitely get you a little more fuel mileage. There’s a reason trains don’t get driven directly off the prime mover, instead they just have electric motors on every axel that are powered by the diesel generator… exactly like this truck.

There’s really no new technology here, it’s just a new application of something that worked for Mack back in 1927, and pretty much every train since before 1964.

Mechanical drive is still more efficient simply because of the heat losses. Reminds me of the trend of combine harvesters in the 90s where most of the belt and chain drives were replaced with hydraulic or electric drive. Simplified maintenance was the goal but recently most of the manufactures went back to belts due to more efficiency. 

The real electric advantage is torque application, thats why you can use a smaller motor. Most of the power a truck needs is just to get moving but If you had an electric motor to provide additional torque you can get away with a much smaller and more efficient motor. Plus you can drive without the motor being off but you would have to figure some sort of electric power steering, AC, and air compressor drives. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For you ATHS members check out the article in the new edition of Wheels of Time.  Article is a bit confusing as the author IMO mixes up his story and confuses the blue KW with the new truck.  He talks about adding a 4 x 4 then runs the article into the new truck..obviously the new truck has no such thing.  What amazes me is the electric motors look very complicated in that the motors are mounted to what appears to be a conventional differential so unlike  a diesel electric locomotive, there h to be some sort of gear set up that converts motor shafts from "east/west to north/south".  That set up had to cost a fortune to assemble..unless someone is making them as a production item???

Any of you Cat guys familiar with the D7E?  I assume those motors are direct to the drive sprockets??  And if you go back 70 years or  more the LeTourneu scrapers, articulated rear dumps were that way. His drive system was called an electric wheel hub motor.