B model generator

Anybody out there have a GOOD B model generator that was equiped with power steering that is for sale? The PS pump mounts on the back of the generator. I would even buy just the correct armature if its a good one. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen those at truck shows but I can’t think of anyone who has one ,, I’m sure they are out there,, I’ll keep my eyes open for one, I know a guy who has a few old Bs junked ,, I’ll ask him . I have an air compressor for a 673 with a PS pump on it. 

Edited by 1961H67
Miss spelled
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, 1961H67 said:

I have seen those at truck shows but I can’t think of anyone who has one ,, I’m sure they are out there,, I’ll keep my eyes open for one, I know a guy who has a few old Bs junked ,, I’ll ask him . I have an air compressor for a 673 with a PS pump on it. 

the air compressors with PS mounted pumps were  and to a point still are more common then generator mounted PS set ups. not doing any good today, back in the day I did see the generator set ups which even then weren't common. due largely to fact PS wasn't a standard item .  men were men and drove Macks LOL 

The pump mounted on the air compressor might be the way I have to go. A few people have suggested mounting another pulley on the crank and mounting a belt driven pump up on the engine. Not sure, because I have not done a lot of investigation, but it looks like and extra pulley would push the balancer out to far and it would rub/hit the radiator. This is on a B61 and there is not a lot of room between the balancer and radiator to begin with.

seems conversion to air compressor /PS combo would be way to go. parts availability should be better, even to find generator/PS combo would be nice for originality ; replace /repair down the road will get worse before better. air compressor set up might prove to be a better system for operation also. eventually changing over to an alternator will put you back to square one with the generator set up tooo.

• Like 1

Was the air compressor with the pump mounted on it a common Mack part? If so what years should I be looking at and are the air compressors fairly standard to bolt up to a 673 engine? Thanks

11 hours ago, nam vet said:

Was the air compressor with the pump mounted on it a common Mack part? If so what years should I be looking at and are the air compressors fairly standard to bolt up to a 673 engine? Thanks

Most of the Bendix Tu-Flo type compressors were available with an open back for a P/S pump.  So were a lot of Mack branded ones.  Do you know what compressor is on there now?

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."