well, it finally happened.

tjc transport

You should have called corporate customer service to begin with. My sister was having problems with her car. It had been to the dealership about three times without fixing it. I called corporate and commenced to use profanity. The fellow told me to calm down that he knew what was wrong with the car and ask me when I could have it at the dealership. I dropped it off at the dealership at 8 am, picked it up at 10 am. Never had another problem with the car. 

• Like 1

Wow, that's bad, but I never owned a truck newer than 1992, but have worked on plenty newer than that. All I saw was why I stuck with what I had.

I can certainly understand wanting a auto where you operate. What was the answer to the ratio fiasco? I wouldn't have though it would have been hard for the dealer to correct?

the fix for the ratio deal was the truck is already sold for more than we paid for it when the new truck comes in. 

they also gave us a $15,000 credit on the new truck for items ordered and paid for but not delivered. 

we ordered 12/24.5 rubber, got 11/24.5. ordered leather interior got cloth. ordered pto and pusher axle in dash and got no pto and pusher axle mounted behind the cab on frame. ordered back up camera, was not installed. ordered exterior grab handles, none installed. ordered 120 gallon polished  fuel tank, came with 80 gallon matt finish tank. ordered stainless trim, came with chrome trim that was already tarnished/rust stained. 

my problem is i pull trailers. 4.10 is a road runner gear. i hit hills and sometimes drop down under 30 mph with a 565 hp engine. 

with the old truck and 4.56 gears, at 80,000 lbs  i would hit the same hill at 30 on bottom and could top it at 55. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Oh, yeah I know, a small change in ratio makes a huge difference. I went from 3.90's single speed to 4.11  two speeds and gain nearly 1 MPG!  Truck was geared too fast for the speeds I ran (65).

I know in some jurisdiction it is illegal to have axle controls accessible to the driver, I went through that. My solution was frame controls that also could have the axle dumped and or raise in the cab. When inspected it was frame, in use it was done from the cab. Made for some complicated air plumbing, but got me through Calif and Alberta without getting sidelined.

Never ordered a new truck, so I was always retro fitting, I do know if I did order, I wouldn't accept anything less than the order, but my situation is likely different than yours was. I had a couple of "extra" trucks in the yard, so I could wait until the one I was up grading was done and continue to work with another in the mean time.

The two speeds came about because believe it or not, I could buy 2 spd cores for less money than singles!  "Nobody runs 2 speeds any more". Yeah they were old cores, and I already had the rear-rear in a single axle parts truck. I just needed the front. That one was supposed to have been "rebuilt" and the ratio I wanted, but once I got it, found it was not what they thought, still cheap enough to throw a new ring and pinion on. They had it sitting in the warehouse for so long, they jumped at the chance to unload it. IIRC it was $1100 no core. Bearings and powerdivider were all new. Once I got them installed, I found how much I loved having all the ratios available with that set-up.  It wasn't the ideal match to the trans (Eaton 15 O/D) but with careful matching would have been even better than it was.

dealer just called. when they dropped the pan the trans guts fell out of it. 

it is being towed to allison for a new trans install on monday.

they said it is so bad they probably will not be able to figure out what caused the failure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interested to see how this plays out! We one had a truck sit at our shop waiting for drive shafts for a month while someone had to make a decision the the wrong drive shafts got installed at the factory on a tri drive! Took out the rear bearing on the middle diff!

well, they are replacing it under warranty. 

but it will most likely be AT least a month before i see it back. 

last year the old truck has a leaking cooler line. that took 4 weeks to get a new line in .

this is a rough service T880 Bob. 

the 2016 had 120k miles when sold and the 19 had 75k miles. no issues on either one. this truck is not what we ordered, but i had to take it because the old truck was already sold. 
my friend has 12 with over 300k miles on them no issues. and his drivers run them hard and put them away wet. 

my trucks are taken care of. 

i really think it was a fluke in the trans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

this is a rough service T880 Bob. 

the 2016 had 120k miles when sold and the 19 had 75k miles. no issues on either one. this truck is not what we ordered, but i had to take it because the old truck was already sold. 
my friend has 12 with over 300k miles on them no issues. and his drivers run them hard and put them away wet. 

my trucks are taken care of. 

i really think it was a fluke in the trans. 

Maybe a Friday/ payday  Trans!  Shit happens unfortunately! The important thing is that the warranty will cover it ! The unfortunate thing is that warranty doesn't pay for down time!

• Like 2

I think you said somewhere that the truck never hits top gear, Speed limited to 65 and locked out of top until 64.  I have to wonder if that isn't the problem and puts too much heat into the trans. Just thinking out loud. If so that is going to be a hard thing to resolve with the current running gear.

correct, due to the 4.10 gears and being speed limited at 64 mph, it does not shift into 6th until 62 mph. 

if that was the issue, i do not think it would have made it to 12,500 miles. 

i have had the truck in much worse conditions milling uphill and never had any issues.

the tech at the dealership is thinking the something in pump let loose causing a blockage in the cooler lines, which caused it to get very hot when it hung up in two gears and self destructed. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 10:56 PM, mowerman said:

660 there junk ? I’m stuck back on one. I lost my Peterbilt and the next bid oooooooooohhhhhh goodie … hope it all works out TJ. Best of luck.

Could you elaborate on that a bit, Bob?

What happened?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Corporate America they just do strange things with no rhyme or reason we used to be able to pick any truck in the yard according to our seniority now  they have a Different Way they claim thier trying to even out the miles I’m only going to be there another year. I was hoping to stay on a Peterbilt as i mentioned I don’t know if that’s what you were looking for.

Well, that’s the way it used to be  w we could pick anything in the yard according to your seniority All of a sudden they decided to start doing it a little different. I mean there’s really nothing wrong with a kenworth that was a bad choice of words that they were junk. I just prefer the Peterbilt oh fine the seats are not comfortable and the radios sound like a battery powered portable job you had when you were a kid, but they seem to spend more time in the shop than the Peterbilts .  A bunch of us were bellyaching about it. All we got was, were trying to even out the mileage which made total sense. we started checking some of the odometer‘s oh well, one more year Bubba… Bob

17 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Well, that’s the way it used to be  w we could pick anything in the yard according to your seniority All of a sudden they decided to start doing it a little different. I mean there’s really nothing wrong with a kenworth that was a bad choice of words that they were junk. I just prefer the Peterbilt oh fine the seats are not comfortable and the radios sound like a battery powered portable job you had when you were a kid, but they seem to spend more time in the shop than the Peterbilts .  A bunch of us were bellyaching about it. All we got was, were trying to even out the mileage which made total sense. we started checking some of the odometer‘s oh well, one more year Bubba… Bob

Ah.  Sounds like the KWs weren't getting used and the Petes were getting worn our.  So...even out the mileage.  Yep.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Bob, that is not the trucks fault. 

it is the way it was ordered. when you order the cheapest pos you can, you get a cheap pos. 

we order the best we can. 

unfortunatly this one truck was not what we ordered, and did not realize it until it was built, paid for and delivered. 

• Like 1