2 piece driveshaft angle question.

I am in the process of converting a tandem R600 into a single axle for a re-purpose of the truck.

The overall length of the driveshaft has extended by a little over 2ft.  I had the driveshaft professionally lengthened and balanced.  All new u-joints and steady bearing.  The location of the steady bearing is further back and I am moving a crossmember to accommodate the bracket.   AND I have to use or make another steady bearing bracket as I didn't get the bracket back with the driveshaft and the driveline shop is 5hrs drive away.

Can someone school me on driveshaft angles a bit?  It's my understanding that the angle of all the joints should be 3 degrees or less....  what else am I missing here?  

Edited by Full Floater

3 degrees..  You may be able to find a shim plate for the center bearing mount that will be a 3 degree shim.  I will be in my shop in a couple hours. I will look in my drive shaft book for info.  Jojo

When I stretched my truck and added the aux transmission, I had to play around with things to get the angles to all balance out.  I think motor was like 4* down, so I had to hang the aux box tilted 4* down to match(but on the same height as motor) and then the rear was close enough.  Each end of the shaft has to equal 0* to make the joints work smoothly.  Mine has no noticeable shake, besides being a 60 yr old truck!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Each end of the shaft has to equal 0* to make the joints work smoothly. 

Correct

And if you were to draw a line end to end the yokes on each shaft should line up, but between the shafts they should be slightly different 

As a general rule of thumb, it might be only my thumb though, each shaft should be one notch on the spline anti clockwise working from the front to the rear 

This is called phase angle

Dunno how or why this makes a difference but experience tells me it does 

Paul

There is a lot of good information out there on the interweb about proper phasing of yokes and about different ways to handle shaft angles.  Like Jo-Jo said, straight in line is not a good thing.  Equal angles on each end of a shaft are generally considered a good thing.  I have also seen "equal and opposite" angles on each end of a shaft work.

Plenty of good info out there about this.  I'm sure it will all work out.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."