Coolant loss Bubbling coolant

Hey guys I've got a 2020 Mack Granite with a MP8 455M and Allison Transmission, it started out pushing coolant out the overflow tube  and the coolant was bubbling in the tank, took it to dealer they said egr cooler was bad so they changed it got it back and it had low power, higher than normal coolant temps and high EGT when pulling, fuel mileage dropped from 5.5 to 3mpg and the coolant is getting gone and I have had to add coolant several times. took it back to dealer and it had all kinds of leaks at the hot pipe and basically all the gaskets associated with the egr were messed up they had to replace the hot pipe and all new gaskets got it back the leaks were fixed but it still has low power high coolant temps not in the red but around 220 it never ran this hot before and higher than normal EGT'S pulling a hill it hardly ever got over 700 degrees now it's pushing 800 terrible fuel mileage and the coolant is still bubbling and getting gone and I see just a small amount coming out the overflow tube, the truck has no codes faults or lights on. took back to dealer loaded and they rode with me with computer hooked up he says everything checks out normal but he see's the high EGT and coolant temps and can feel the truck lugging so they check turbo and basically everything on the engine and say everything is normal so they want to check dpf for coolant staining they pull dpf and it has coolant staining now they tell me they need to pull the Head to check for blown head gasket or cracked head, they pulled head sent it to be checked and they called me this morning and said head was fine no cracks. This truck is under warranty and I have an extended warranty but I am having to pay for all this work to find a problem that is under warranty because the truck isn't telling them what's wrong with it, if the head would have been cracked I would not have to pay but since they can't find the problem I have a huge bill, so they have put in a E Service with mack to see what to do next. What are they missing? Do any of you guys have any thoughts what could be wrong with this truck? they have had my truck for 2 weeks so I have lost a lot of money in revenue not counting the huge bill I have to pay which I think is not right I should not have to pay because they can't find a problem that's under warranty! If any of you guys have any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Im with FJH..  I dont have the knowledge on these models. I left for the LAST time in June- 2019...  and didnt look back..   Thank You Terry... You are very kind..  There are a few others that are well versed in these newer units..  

• Like 1

I'd expect they'd find a crack in the hood..... due to driving it into the building.   This is getting more and more common. Don't know what's wrong or how to get warranty to cover it ?  Just hand the customer a bill, then say they don't have to put up with you treating them that way.  If the EGR cooler was bad ? I'd expect there very well could be coolant in the DPF.

There are shit loads stuff you need to clean and check after an egr cooler failure Venturi tube dp sensor  boost sensor top of the dpf just to name a few was all that done first go around? Or were they just doing one thing at a time!A crack in the head still possible so is injector cups is it still bubbling? And if it’s warranty it’s their problem go higher up ! Long as you’re with in your warranty miles and time it should be on them! Just lasyness!

52 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Mark??  Dont the dealers spend a lot of time looking for any reason to void a warranty??       

I'm convinced they check to see about getting every drop of warranty they know is a slam dunk.  Then if your truck happens to get fixed yaaaay. Even a good technician that may very well know what's wrong, if they don't know how to get paid for it. Good luck.  F is correct, but meanwhile the truck sits, insured, licensed, missing revenue, but the dealer gets paid.  It's a F@$*ing joke.

• Thanks 1

Oh HELL NO! I'd be super ticked off. As others have said, take it higher up. Still under warrantee you shouldn't have to pay a dime! 

The dealership I worked for I personally witnessed charging the customer, then filing warrantee for the repair and getting paid twice for the same job. There are some shady shops out there. 

I'm wondering if they missed something with the head, air compressor maybe? 

If they can't replace an egr cooler without everything leaking, I probably would find another dealer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

''Blinders''  to keep the money flowing masked by WARRANTY.!!!!! I have seen it !!

Possibly judging by the come back leaks ect  just wam bam thank you man ! Didn’t check their work just horse shit! Done now attitude!

• Like 1

FJH.. I know I'm sidetracking a bit here...  Back in 2017, when I was back at the Mack dealer trying to get a desk job..   I was told to re-build an MP-8..  Problem for me was that it was torn apart, and the parts were in a pile instead of on a table with location markings and such..  The next issue for me was... I had never been trained to build one..   So I used ''Impact'' and down loaded the whole engine book... ( I still Have a Copy in My library)..  and I built that engine...   It ran great when I ran-it-in..  ..I told my boss during the job that I was concerned about my ability to do it right..  He said...  ''Don't worry,, if it fails We Will Warranty the job''   Right then I knew I went back to a Shitshow at a dealership..  Never again !!  I literally built one more right after that one,, and 3 more over the next year and a half, before I walked out....    Never again !!!  

13 hours ago, mackcat12 said:

This truck is under warranty and I have an extended warranty but I am having to pay for all this work to find a problem that is under warranty because the truck isn't telling them what's wrong with it

The highlighted Bit Sounds FISHY in the Extreme to Me..

As has been mentioned , Escalate the issue up the Food chain...

I've NFI what the lemon Laws/consumer Laws are like where you Live, BUT he Threat of a bit of Govco Intervention works wonders Too..!!

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

FJH.. I know I'm sidetracking a bit here...  Back in 2017, when I was back at the Mack dealer trying to get a desk job..   I was told to re-build an MP-8..  Problem for me was that it was torn apart, and the parts were in a pile instead of on a table with location markings and such..  The next issue for me was... I had never been trained to build one..   So I used ''Impact'' and down loaded the whole engine book... ( I still Have a Copy in My library)..  and I built that engine...   It ran great when I ran-it-in..  ..I told my boss during the job that I was concerned about my ability to do it right..  He said...  ''Don't worry,, if it fails We Will Warranty the job''   Right then I knew I went back to a Shitshow at a dealership..  Never again !!  I literally built one more right after that one,, and 3 more over the next year and a half, before I walked out....    Never again !!!  

long ago in the V8 era We would save back out of warranty cam and lifters !I found out they were placing claims on engines that hadn't failed that were still under warranty so they could extend warranty to some guys that needed to get out of a jam! Noble in a way but still thievery on the dealers part! Stealing from the warranty  program to have a happy customer ! Maybe kind of a win for everyone in a round about way! 

On 5/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, fjh said:

There are shit loads stuff you need to clean and check after an egr cooler failure Venturi tube dp sensor  boost sensor top of the dpf just to name a few was all that done first go around? Or were they just doing one thing at a time!A crack in the head still possible so is injector cups is it still bubbling? And if it’s warranty it’s their problem go higher up ! Long as you’re with in your warranty miles and time it should be on them! Just lasyness!

Fjh I’m not sure if all that was checked I would hope so, the truck has 82,000 miles on it and it’s  3 years old so I’m good on the warranty plus i bought an extended warranty, the bubbling has been going on for almost 7 months first they told me the expansion tank was cracked and that was what was causing it so it was replaced of course that didn’t fix it then they said egr cooler was causing it so that was replaced and it’s still doing it, so my truck is sitting in the garage at the dealership with the head off of it waiting on Mack to answer the E-service to see what to do next. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks my truck has been there and still not fixed! Do you know who I should contact at Mack about this? Thanks