237 bucking/ very sensitive throttle

Go to solution Solved by b61fred,

Update..

I loaded up the family yesterday and made the trek to Delphi, IN to get a parts injection pump from Ron Bogan. I got home late and I was able to get the governor removed and disassembled. Today’s job is to see about getting the one off of the B61 and look for a smoking gun inside of there. Wish me luck! IMG_1674.thumb.jpeg.b7b30cfe3996819c66d7346f66c501ab.jpegIMG_1674.thumb.jpeg.b7b30cfe3996819c66d7346f66c501ab.jpeg

• Like 2
15 gears...no waiting!

On 5/29/2023 at 7:05 PM, b61fred said:

Well I removed the governor and found the culprit! The internal shaft on the throttle was worn just enough to slop around. I made a video on YouTube to describe what was wrong and what I done to fix it if you want to see. 
thanks for all your help.

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing the video and your findings.  Can't wait to watch it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Full Floater said:

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing the video and your findings.  Can't wait to watch it.

Yup good job! 🙏 so just as a note if you look at the pump you can see there is a multi fingered spring attached to the governor drive gear you should check that for evidence of wear ! That is an over run clutch if that shows evidence of a lot wear it needs to be addressed as if it gets to weak the engine can  over speed and or run away if your not paying attention ! These were updated in later years to a flexible nylon rubberized affair coupler as they were more reliable! Also  obviously  a ANY wear in Any of those moving parts shafts and pins will contribute to surge in these pumps so you need to pay close attention to all wear parts ! Very well explained vid by the way! 

• Like 2

fjh,

I checked the over running/ lovejoy gear (had it called several things) and it checked ok. I figured that I had rambled on enough as it was in the video, I guess the secret is out on how to turn the pump up! haha... Those injection pumps are boxes of black magic, the guys that work on them have to sacrifice a goat or something to get them to work right! Just joking around, I know they are professionals.

p.s.  You did like and subscribe?  

Edited by b61fred
  • Like 2
15 gears...no waiting!

The droop screw is effectively changing the sensitivity of the governor. If you look at a graph of the torque curve as the engine is being loaded it will have a “droop” before the governor starts to compensate for the load, usually around 5 percent. This is very common adjustment on generator sets, they need a very short rpm droop as the load is applied due to the rpm of the engine has a lot to do with the cycles in electricity. In truck engines I think it pulls fuel if the engine is loaded momentarily so as not to burn it up.

• Like 1
15 gears...no waiting!

No goats 🦌 were harmed in the making of the videos (lol)   I think Fred may have played us all a little here (in a good way)  Seems like this wasn't the first time he's had a governor  apart.   Great stuff no matter.  Like I said before, fewer and fewer people are capable of making such repairs.   Thanks for sharing and explaining.

• Like 1

Mark you referring to Charley at Dunmore Injection? I had a Mack pump adjusted out in Williamsport and a friend called out this spring and they are gone. Enzo used to do Cummins but I can't remember if he screwed around with Mack pumps He was at the Kingston Franconi shop quite a few years ago. Cooky's sold the Mack dealer up in Scranton and they don't sell Mack parts anymore !!! Back in the early 80's had a Mack pump rebuilt at a shop out in Hazleton.

21 hours ago, davehummell said:

Mark you referring to Charley at Dunmore Injection? I had a Mack pump adjusted out in Williamsport and a friend called out this spring and they are gone. Enzo used to do Cummins but I can't remember if he screwed around with Mack pumps He was at the Kingston Franconi shop quite a few years ago. Cooky's sold the Mack dealer up in Scranton and they don't sell Mack parts anymore !!! Back in the early 80's had a Mack pump rebuilt at a shop out in Hazleton.

Charley's gone.  Dick Laing up in Binghamton got absorbed by D & W .  I don't think the old Allentown Mack does it anymore.  The others ??? IDK. 

• Like 1