Oil leaks

Go to solution Solved by 03' Big Red,

Look along the flywheel housing from the starter motor, up over the top to about a 2:00 position. Mack dealer couldn't get one, but I found one aftermarket at a warehouse in Allentown PA, picked it up.about an hour after talking to the guy. I think it was about half the price Mack wanted for it.

If it's cracked then call your Mack dealer and get the part number for the housing, there's a lot of aftermarket supply for them, you just need to Google the part number and pick a supplier. It's a common failure, and there's a lot of auto garbage trucks demanding them.

Note the aftermarket part number will be a close match but will be missing one digit.  And your old bell housing to flywheel housing bolts likely won't fit, I think the original is metric and the aftermarket is SAE. Or other way around.

JoeH has good point as well as 880 Joe, and This Joe, asks,,, when you put the flywheel housing on did you put a generous bead of MACK GRAY RTV, around the mounting surface on the block and cam plug seam? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, 03' Big Red said:

I have two R models a 98 & 03

Both have oil leaks at the back of the engine AFTER the transmission has been out, rear structure resurfaced, new rear main seal and oil pans resealed. Any insight to what the problem may be?

Ever find the leak?

• 8 months later...

On the 2003 the cause of “oil leak” was actually a over zealous national oil change shop that pumped way to muc grease into the throw out bearing

the 98 was leaking at air compressor, oil filter mount and looks like the rear main seal was damaged when it was installed 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Solution
On 4/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, 03' Big Red said:

I have two R models a 98 & 03

Both have oil leaks at the back of the engine AFTER the transmission has been out, rear structure resurfaced, new rear main seal and oil pans resealed. Any insight to what the problem may be?

The 98 was a cracked valve cover, pin hole in oil pan and rear main seal that was installed improperly