What is this valve? 97 ch 454

Noble1

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

If it was mine, I would free it up and get it working 

I don't believe you can ever have to much braking

Paul

They weren't very effective. Better chance of one of those damaging the turbo , than adding much stopping power.  All they really did was preload the valve so the Jake could bump it open a little later ( bigger lash )  .  Not very effective on an E7.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark T said:

They weren't very effective. Better chance of one of those damaging the turbo , than adding much stopping power.  All they really did was preload the valve so the Jake could bump it open a little later ( bigger lash )  .  Not very effective on an E7.

Amen to this ! We had a customer running from here to California He took out countless turbos! The back pressure on long grades would push into the base of the engine and he would be followed by a huge cloud of steam from the draft tube! Un fortunately I would leave well enough alone! This operated off stage 2 of the switch on the dash!

trying to free it up for very little gain on braking could result in cracking the casting , now you end up looking for a spacer to take the gap in system. not leaking ;let it be. as earlier stated on my hino FA  exhaust brake worked well , not holding back 80K  cross country either.

3 hours ago, fjh said:

Amen to this ! We had a customer running from here to California He took out countless turbos! The back pressure on long grades would push into the base of the engine and he would be followed by a huge cloud of steam from the draft tube! Un fortunately I would leave well enough alone! This operated off stage 2 of the switch on the dash!

How do they damage the turbo ?

Not been a smart ass, I thought once the pressure was up a bit the butterfly was pushed open by the exhaust, maybe when they start to seize up

I know the guillotine type added a lot of pressure and heavier exhaust valves were needed to stop valves floating

I have never heard of issues with the butterfly types that are used on Japanese and European trucks

Paul 

They used to destroy the seal in the turbo. Then the exhaust gasses would be going through the oil return into the crank case.  It was an issue with them, maybe poor combination of turbo and exhaust brake compared to others ???  There was even a test of putting the turbo's oil return into a bucket and looking for bubbles.  Then if you had one, the lash on the Jake itself was set larger (like an extra twenty five thousands or something like that)  so without readjusting that lash without the exhaust brake part, the Jake itself could develop issues.  They just weren't the best mousetrap. 

• Like 1

Paul ! We have done the same test on turbos with out the brake! If you have an engine with excessive blow by it pays to do this test ! Standard turbos and VGT turbos can screw up to!  It was quite a chronic thing with stealth thou! The valve springs were different on these I installed one once and the valve springs had be changed as well as what  MT is saying there!