Shorter Wheel Base

JD 5020

That doesn't sound too bad at all, just need a good sharp drill bit or two. I'd imagine these frames dont drill too easy. Whats the best way to chop the frame off, a torch and some one with a steady hand?

Most frames aren't too difficult to drill. I use cobalt drill bits due to higher "red hardness" meaning they will stay sharp longer with a lot of pressure exerted upon them. When I chop a frame, I use a plasma cutter as the heat outside the cut zone is much less intense, and it leaves a nicer cut requiring less cleanup.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

When I put my new full fenders on, I had to drill the frame for brackets. One small starter hole, then I blew thru with a bigger one. A touch of cutting oil makes things last longer. It was not too difficult.

Shoot, I wish I had MORE frame! Just my luck.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Have any of you guys shortened up your wheel base? And if so what did it entail and how hard was it? Anything specific to look out for, or make sure you get 100% correct? Thanks

To put the trunion in a Mack the right way you should use BODY BOUND BOLTS. You drill the holes with a drill bit and then ream them to fit the shank of the bolt. I've put them in the wrong way with regular grade 8 bolts and they lived but it really wasn't right. "HUCK BOLTS" probably do the best job, but the tool to pull them tight and crimp them is expensive and they really aren't original on an old Mack

Joe

Why do you want to shorten the wheel base? It's not going to help the ride.

Your right, it won't help the ride one bit. I guess there are two reasons, one I like the look of a fairly short wheel base road tractor, and second i'd like to have an old Mack to haul tractors to shows, and some of them are pretty tight to get around with a trailer. But who knows, after I run one for a while it might be rough enough I won't wan't to shorten it up.

Your right, it won't help the ride one bit. I guess there are two reasons, one I like the look of a fairly short wheel base road tractor, and second i'd like to have an old Mack to haul tractors to shows, and some of them are pretty tight to get around with a trailer. But who knows, after I run one for a while it might be rough enough I won't wan't to shorten it up.

Jake, a nice B or R model with a short fixed drop deck trailer would work great for shows and could come in handy moving some hay or wood. Some thing with big rubber to match your 5020,Tim